back to Directory index
I am writing to let you know about the exciting new community safety website, www.safer-community.net.
This website is the first of its kind, aimed directly at local people aiming
to create their own safer communities.
It contains information on a range of crime issues, case studies of what others
have done to combat crime in their area, a 'virtual communities' area and a
discussion board. Please come and have a look and let us know what you think.
and Residents Associations
- Barlow Moor Residents Association
- Marjorie Donnelly - 0161-283-9652
- Merseybank Tenants & Residents Association
- Contact via local councillors: Arthur Maloney or Simon Wheale
- Nell Lane Tenants & Residents Association
- Community House, 21 Wintermans Rd, M21; 0161-862-9474.
- West Didsbury Residents' Association
- Barlow Moor Community Association
- Community Centre, Merseybank Ave, M21; 0161 446 4805
- Chorlton Workshop Electronic Village Hall
- Chorlton Central Church, Barlow Moor Rd, M21; 0161-860-6238.
- Albemarle Environmental Exchange
- Cheadle Community Web Site
- Chorlton Community Association
- 11 Corkland Rd, M21; 0161-861-9634.
- Chorlton Community Groups co-ordination site
- Chorlton Good Neighbours
- St Ninian's Presbyterian Church, Egerton Rd South, M21; 0161-881-6208.
- Chorlton Good Neighbours Care Group has been supporting people in
the Chorlton area since 1968. Our volunteers offer practical support
and friendship to people, who need it. Most of the people who use us
are older people who are isolated or who may be unable to get out on
their own. We receive funding from Manchester City Council. We have
strong links with local churches and are affiliated to the Manchester
Neighbourhood Care Groups Association.
- South Manchester Womens' Group
- South Manchester Women’s Group are looking for new members
- Maybe you have just moved to Chorlton and don’t know many people, or perhaps you are just looking for something different to do.
- We are a friendly, open group of women who meet regularly for social events, discussion evenings and the occasional weekend away.
- We are an informal group with no fixed agenda or leadership, and all women are welcome.
- Why not give us a ring, either Linda on 861 0789 or Moyra on 881 9785. We would love to hear from you.
- British Quarterstaff Association
- David Crow; 0161-449-9908.
- Chorlton Bus Action Group
- Ken Livesey - 0161-881-4781.
- Chorlton Civic Society
- Chorlton Green Women's Morris
- Meetings at Manchester Road Methodist Church, Manchester Rd, M21
- Meetings: Mondays 8.30pm - beginners/musicians welcome
- Click to visit the web
site or e-mail the group
- Chorlton Evening Townswomen's Guild
- Kathleen Long - 0161-861-8460
- Meetings: 2nd/4th Thursdays in month at Chorlton Library, Manchester
- Chorlton-cum-Hardy Amateur Gardeners Society
- Scott Ave Allotments, M21
- Contact: Mr I Murphy, 2 Titterington Ave, M21 9QP.
- Chorlton-cum-Hardy Conservative Club
- 617 Wilbraham Rd, M21; 0161-881-3180.
- Chorlton Homewatch Network
- Pat - 0161-881-4523; Elsa - 0161-861-8091.
- Chorlton Liberal Club
- Manchester Rd, M21; 0161-881-3096.
- Chorlton Players drama group
- The Edge
- Chorlton's local theatre and arts centre
- The Edge is run by registered charity Waters Edge Arts: producers of high quality participatory & mainstream theatre. We have lots of fantastic classes/shows and hope to become one of Manchester’s leading fringe theatre venues.
- firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 0161 282 9776
- The Edge Theatre & Arts Centre, Manchester Road, Chorlton, M21 9JG (we’re in the grounds of Chorlton Methodist Church)
- Filipino Women's Association
- Leth Packham - 0161-881-6950.
- Green Party, Manchester
- Contact: Steve Durrant -
0161 227 9030;
- Chorlton contact - Brian Candeland - 0161 881 0510.
- Irish Associations Social Club
- 17 High Lane, M21; 0161-881-2898.
- Ivy Green Road Allotment Society
- Contact: Sarah Cobbe, 66 Ivy Green Rd, M21 9EX.
- The Labour Party (Chorlton)
- Chris Tucker - 0161-860-6752.
- Lauriston Club
- 12 Manchester Rd, M21; 0161-881-3096.
- The Liberal Democrats (Withington)
- Bill Fisher - 0161-861-8299.
- Manchester Road Players Drama Group
- Music for a While
- PO Box 27, Chorlton, Manchester M21 9UA
- email: MGODDEN@AOL.COM
- Music for a While was founded in 1992 to develop a community arts response
to HIV. Its uniqueness lies in its eclecticism. Performances combine
many musical styles from major Baroque works to cabaret numbers and a
range of new works written for the group. Dancers using a variety of
styles along with costumes and lighting of original design unite to create
tableaux, producing a theatrical backdrop to the music. We construct
productions around the idea that art is immortal and the human spirit
Artistes' contributions are welcome regardless of sexuality or HIV status.
- Web Site: http://members.aol.com/MforAW/
- Ballroom and Sequence dancing
- Irish Club, High Lane
- Thursdays 8pm
- All welcome - details: 0161-865-1862.
- Our Lady & St John's
- 47 High Lane, M21; 0161-881-9383.
- Oxfam Campaigns Group
- Contact: Mary Cronley; 0161-861-9731.
- Retired people
- Contact: 0161-881-4286.
- The Socialist Party (Manchester Branch)
- South Manchester Freemasons Hall Ltd
- 12 Edge Lane, M21; 0161-881-2325.
- South Manchester Women's Group
- A social group meets every second Wednesday in South
- For information, contact Linda on 861 0789.
- Cafe Spirit
- Discussion Group - talk and think about 'the things that matter'
- Organised by the Chorlton churches
- Chorlton Central Church
- 3rd Wednesday of every month (except August)
- More info: please phone Sue Rowe, on 291 0095
- 'Taking the Stage' - a Women's Drama Resource
- Monthly workshops - last Saturday of the month starting Saturday 24th
- Chorlton Library, Manchester Rd, M21
- Beginners welcome
- Further information and booking: Steph - 0161-881-9129.
- United Services Club
- Brookburn Rd, M21; 0161-881-2565.
- Withington Cooperative Party
- Contact: Paul Murphy; 0161-881-8650.
- Women's Equality Partnership
- Gender and equality consultants
- SU Maddock/D Parkin, 52 Brookburn Rd, M21.