A view of Chorlton Green shortly after 1895. The large ornamental lamp
was one of four provided, rather reluctantly, by the ratepayers who had
to foot the bill, in1875 as Chorlton's first street lighting. Though four
is the officially quoted number there is photographic evidence that there
were six but perhaps two were later additions. The return of the Green to
the public enabled the lamp to be moved to the centre of the Green, the
position shown here was approximately that of the stone block with an inset
ring which was used for tethering the bull when bull-baiting was a feature
of the annual wakes.
All material is taken from 'Looking Back at Chorlton-cum-Hardy', by John
Lloyd, courtesy of Willow Publishing, whose permission is gratefully acknowledged.