Smokers And The Cold

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
johnnylovepump

Smokers And The Cold

Postby johnnylovepump » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:16 pm

I don't know if anybody watches The IT Crowd but there was a great episode where the smokers had to start going outside because of the smoking ban. It developed into a desolate Russian wasteland outside, and the main girl, Jen, took to wearing a headscarf.

We walked past The Bar last night and one girl was sat outside wearing a similar Russian-style headscarf! Great - we had to have a quick giggle at that.

Being an ex-smoker, I quite like watching all the smokers huddling outside in the cold (yes, I know this is cruel, but I gave up smoking to be able to be this righteous) - especially when I'm nice and warm inside.

Is anybody sympathetic for them? I suppose I am a little bit. It's a long old time until it gets warm again!

ArcticFox

Postby ArcticFox » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:12 am

No sympathy... In fact the only thing that made me look forward to winter was this very sight... Hilarious! Hopefully it will make a good proportion of them give up which will be better for everyone!
I'd buy that for a dollar!

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:26 am

ah but .... smokers will just not go in the pubs so they may eventually shut.( i'm a non smoker before anyone starts) . i know of one place in chorlton that has noticed a big differance and could end up struggling.

johnnylovepump

Postby johnnylovepump » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:51 am

Does anybody know if the pubs have to provide outdoor seating to non-smokers. My girlfriend is worried that in the summer, when it's warm enough to sit outside in beer gardens and such, that we'll be sat in a big cloud of cigarette smoke.

When we left the Horse & Jockey the other Saturday night, we had to walk through what was almost a smoke screen. What's the point of moving them outside, if they're only going to stand outside the door so you have to walk through their secondary smoke?

Russ

Postby Russ » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:44 am

johnnylovepump wrote:Does anybody know if the pubs have to provide outdoor seating to non-smokers. My girlfriend is worried that in the summer, when it's warm enough to sit outside in beer gardens and such, that we'll be sat in a big cloud of cigarette smoke.

When we left the Horse & Jockey the other Saturday night, we had to walk through what was almost a smoke screen. What's the point of moving them outside, if they're only going to stand outside the door so you have to walk through their secondary smoke?

No they don't have to provide outside areas for non smokers.

The point of moving smokers outside is:

1. Smoke dissipates much more quickly outside and the ratio of smoke to air that a non smoker might breathe in via secondary smoke is much much much lower.

2. The amount of time that you spent walking in and out of the jockey is, I would has at a guess much much much less than the time you spend actually inside the now smoke free jockey.

I am not a smoker and I agree with the ban but come on, use a little common sense, secondary smoke while walking in and out of as pub, pull yourself together man!!

Steve Dubya
Location: Levenshulme as the Chelsea tractor driving yuppies lifted Chorlton house prices out of my reach.

Postby Steve Dubya » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:48 pm

Does anybody know if the pubs have to provide outdoor seating to non-smokers.

No, and they shouldn't because it costs them money which drives up the price of a pint. The leccy used by outdoor heaters is use of our planets finite resources.

What's the point of moving them outside, if they're only going to stand outside the door so you have to walk through their secondary smoke?

So you don't inhale smoke inside the pub. If you're anything like me JLP, you spend more time drinking in a pub than hanging round the entrance. All that smoke going into the atmosphere can;t be good for birds and the environment though.

All smokers should be recycled.
Atheism ROCKS!

johnnylovepump

Postby johnnylovepump » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:40 pm

Okay okay, it was more of an observation really than a serious point.

Of course it's better now than it was - it just annoys me (as a few people have been mentioning on one of the other threads) how all the smokers now stand outside the door - not to one side - but directly outside the door.

And don't even get me started on the oiks that stand outside The Trevor!

flip

Postby flip » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Walking into pubs now is like walking through the wall of smoke on Stars in their Eyes.
(Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be...)
... Except the crowds don't cheer for me when I walk into the pub. (We don't have a Cheers bar in Chorlton.)

Return to “Discussions”