Chorlton and the Congestion Charge

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
barlowmoorroadbhoy

Chorlton and the Congestion Charge

Postby barlowmoorroadbhoy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:10 pm

With the wording of the vote about to be finalised I thought I would start a thread which focuses specifically on what effect the congestion charge will have on Chorlton - can we try and focus on its effects from a Chorlton perspective rather than Greater Manchester as a whole (if thats possible)

Whilst I am not against the CC per se I do think that it will have more negatives for Chorlton people than positives and for that reason I am leaning towards a no vote but could be persuded over the next couple of months.

I havent a problem with the outer ring because it wont effect me/us so much but what I dont like is that the inner ring will/could run straight through the middle of Chorlton and will cause a lot of striff imo.

I do like the idea of having a link to the airport but we already get our link into town so I dont think that the airport link is enough to sway me because I only make that journey about 20 times a years whereas I make the journey to/from town in excess of 500.

pauld

Re: Chorlton and the Congestion Charge

Postby pauld » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:12 pm

Obviously I like the idea of a few Metrolink stops (I take it you're asking about the wider TIF bid?) but I think we're getting that either way?

I also seriously object to the inner ring for numerous reasons, but the fact that it could cut Chorlton in half is especially worrying. It would be disasterous for anyone who lives inside the ring, as people would park inside the ring and then walk to houses outside the ring, causing appalling parking problems to anyone living north of Wilbraham Road and east of Manchester Road.

Russ

Postby Russ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:05 pm

I think the congestion charge would do nothing for Chorlton, we are getting the tram link anyway and we already have a good bus route, I don't see how they can increase the number of 85's or 86's.

There is the airport line but how often do people go the the airport and how much would it save, £10 for a cab v £5 for the tram 3 or 4 times a year.

In exchange for that Chorlton could be split in two with some residents having to pay to drive to their own local supermarket (yes I appreciate only at peak times but still, I should be able to go to my own local supermarket whenever I dam well want)

So, gain nothing, potentially at a significant expense. I speak as a car owner who does use public transport nearly every weekday and I will definitely be voting No.

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:13 pm

is is right the vote is at parrswood high school ? can anyone vote as long as they go there to do it?

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm the same in that I don't disagree in principle but the idea of splitting Chorlton is ludicrous. I can't see how we can possibly benefit.
I use public transport daily, and although it is hit and miss it is considerably better than anywhere else I have lived. The best thing they could do would be to introduce a quicker, direct route into town. I don't think we need them to be any more frequent though. The metro is coming anyway.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:56 pm

The vote is going to be a postal one, in early December as far as I know. The meeting at Parr's Wood is more of a question and answer I think. I don't think that a final decision has been made yet on where the boundaries of the inner ring should be - there are two or three different proposals, none of them very "inner" in the usual sense of the word - I had assumed the boundary would be much closer to the city centre.

annie

Postby annie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:24 pm

Hugely opposed to it because:

1. Cuts Chorlton in two. I don't go into town much, but they're trying to make me pay to drive from one end of Chorlton to another. No chance matey.

2. Metrolink money already in place, and the extremely regular buses already.

3. We are being bullied into accepting it.

The Parrs Wood meeting will be and bunch of angry people opposed to the charge, versus simpering smug people supporting the charge, under the impression that they know best and it will come regardless of public opinion.

Under current plans, if I drive my car 20 yards, I'll be charged. Fat chance.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Steve Dubya
Location: Levenshulme as the Chelsea tractor driving yuppies lifted Chorlton house prices out of my reach.

Postby Steve Dubya » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Sorry - I know you want a Chorlton only perspective but can I mention the marketing - an "ethical" marketing company (!?) has been paid using tax payers money to pay for all the glossy brochures, massive adverts, staff handing leaflets out in Piccadilly Gardens... what tax payers money is being spent on the No adverts? none - I find myself in alliance with The Trafford Centre who say vote no.

Chorlton - having used Mancunian Way when I lived there - there was no congestion at any time other than between 8am and 8.45am. The timing of this congestion charge (from 7am?) seems to be at times when there is no bloody congestion. Yet the cheap marketing campaigns come up with slogans such as, "You don't have to pay congestion charge to go shopping" - shallow!

You can't trust this campaign. The boundaries of the charge areas are blurred out and vague in the glossy brochure they sent us. One page even said, "*2007 prices" in small print. Too many caviats, too many details omitted, too many private firms set to make a bomb out of this and (sorry) - too much money going to 'nice' areas and none going to 'less desirable' areas like Levenshulme, where I live.

The whole campaign is a joke.
Atheism ROCKS!

barlowmoorroadbhoy

Postby barlowmoorroadbhoy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:06 am

Steve Dubya wrote:Sorry - I know you want a Chorlton only perspective but can I mention the marketing - an "ethical" marketing company (!?) has been paid using tax payers money to pay for all the glossy brochures, massive adverts, staff handing leaflets out in Piccadilly Gardens... what tax payers money is being spent on the No adverts? none - I find myself in alliance with The Trafford Centre who say vote no.

Chorlton - having used Mancunian Way when I lived there - there was no congestion at any time other than between 8am and 8.45am. The timing of this congestion charge (from 7am?) seems to be at times when there is no bloody congestion. Yet the cheap marketing campaigns come up with slogans such as, "You don't have to pay congestion charge to go shopping" - shallow!

You can't trust this campaign. The boundaries of the charge areas are blurred out and vague in the glossy brochure they sent us. One page even said, "*2007 prices" in small print. Too many caviats, too many details omitted, too many private firms set to make a bomb out of this and (sorry) - too much money going to 'nice' areas and none going to 'less desirable' areas like Levenshulme, where I live.

The whole campaign is a joke.

yes, thats another issue I have with it, they havent set the boundaries and I know that when the pricing comes in it will be well higher then they are claiming at present as they will extend the times that you will get caught, the boundaries and increase the prices whenever they want as soon as it gets voted in.

If it was just the outer ring that was being proposed then I would vote yes but like I've said, with a vague inner ring then I am looking at a no.

Fungus Mungus

Postby Fungus Mungus » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:30 am

So... will we be expected to vote without actually knowing where the inner boundary will be..?

http://www.gmfuturetransport.co.uk/pdf/ ... update.pdf

On the map there are several possible inner rings - My view depends very much on which is chosen - I'd vote yes for the one along hathersage rd/Moss lane but no for the one through chorlton.

annie

Postby annie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:35 am

Disagree. IF they are forcing it upon us, then the Mancunian Way should be the inner ring... That's the city centre, and the place where most "congestion" takes place.

Running it anywhere near a residential area is just pathetic.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

belperfury

Postby belperfury » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:40 pm

The only part of the TIF scheme which I find compelling to support is for an increase in the number of safe cycle lanes - by this I mean ones with a kerb between the bikes and cars rather than just a thin strip of painted road by the gutter littered with broken glass and numerous parked cars.

It's really hard to tell from the map exactly where these routes are going and, more importantly, which the council would create without TIF being agreed.
http://www.gmfuturetransport.co.uk/pdf/lsmbusway.pdf

Given that the journey from Chorlton into Manchester is totally flat, it's disappointing how few people cycle into work currently and I think the biggest issue is fear from traffic rather than a bit of rain!
Last edited by belperfury on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:16 pm

you're right is it fear of traffic. so we WILL all get a vote then great there's no way people will vote for our council to have to put up with all this extra expence when will this charge start making money - 2050 ???

Lynsey

Postby Lynsey » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Having had a few incidents cycling to town, I would vote yes to a sensible inner ring route in exchange for proper cycle paths but I can't help think that every time they promise improved cycle routes they just paint the gutter green at random intervals making the situation worse! Everything in this whole proposal seems too vague to support currently and unless they commit to boundaries, prices and specific improvements to made along with timelines then I can't see this changing.

Steve Dubya
Location: Levenshulme as the Chelsea tractor driving yuppies lifted Chorlton house prices out of my reach.

Postby Steve Dubya » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:18 pm

These people can't be trusted - they are being too vague, too hard sell and too imbalanced.
Atheism ROCKS!

Return to “Discussions”