Cat, free to good home

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
local_celebrity

Cat, free to good home

Postby local_celebrity » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:57 pm

A disadvantage of having more than one cat is that local strays tend to assume that our house must be some sort of feline commune. Currently, we're playing host to a large ginger-and-white fella, who slopes in through the flap and makes himself very much at home on the sofa. An improvised collar and 'found' posters have met with no response, so he's definitely stray and in need of a home.

He's a bold character, intelligent and very affectionate, always rolling on his back when given attention. Age is hard to determine, but he doesn't look young or particularly old. He will need neutering and innoculating, so adopting him may not be any cheaper than buying, but we're hoping somebody wanting a mature cat might take him on. Animal sanctuaries are all full at this time of year.

If you'd like to drop round and met the gentleman in person, let me know. You're more than welcome to have him checked by a vet before making a decision. We'll even make the appointment for you.

Thanks for reading this,

Paul

Steve Dubya
Location: Levenshulme as the Chelsea tractor driving yuppies lifted Chorlton house prices out of my reach.

Re: Cat, free to good home

Postby Steve Dubya » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Sorry, my cat is very territorial. Hope you manage to find a good home for it.
Atheism ROCKS!

annie

Postby annie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:45 am

Oh bless him! Can't help, I'm afraid...

Have you tried Oldham Cats?
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

local_celebrity

Postby local_celebrity » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:09 pm

It's harder than we thought 'abandoning' an animal. All the shelters seem to have waiting lists - you have to put their name down, like getting them into a good school. And they're not even allowed on the list until they're innoculated. You can see why people end up chucking cats in the canal.

He's a lovely chap, and seems to rub along quite well with our two, but we really don't need more than two cats. Advertising here is probably a long shot, but seems our only option, short of forcible relocation by driving him 10 miles to a new neighbourhood - but that doesn't seem much kinder than the canal. We've been feeding him out of pity during the cold snap, but will soon be making more of an effort to persuade him to move on. He'll probably turn up at your cat-flap, Annie...

Does anyone know any mad cat ladies? Or have elderly relatives who would like a cat, but not a young one? Any ideas would be appreciated.

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm a wannabe mad cat lady but unfortunately my other half (Pauld) has drawn the line at the two I already have, otherwise I'd have taken him. There was a poor bedraggled looking white and tabby moggy hanging around our house a few months ago, I really wanted to adopt him as he looked so pathetic but it probably wasn't a good idea.

Also my cats are used to a certain standard of living- 2 people in the house+ 2 cats= 1 lap each. They wouldn't take well to a new housemate.

I hope you find someone to adopt him. I'll ask around.

By the way if you have a problem with neighbourhood cats coming in your catflap you might be interested in this. We didn't want an electronic cat flap which meant the cat had to wear a big bulky collar, but you can get one which works with your cats existing identity microchip, and only lets them in. It is quite expensive but we're going to get one

http://www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/

local_celebrity

Postby local_celebrity » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Thanks tOria, that's a great tip.

Here's another thought... Would anyone like a cat but are forbidden by their partner or landlord?

This chap is very outdoorsy, and would be happy enough living al fresco, being fed on the back doorstep. You could sneak him in to sit on your sofa on a casual, no-strings basis. In winter, some sort of hutch with straw would keep him warm. If you went on holiday, or even if you had to move away and end the arrangement, he'd be no worse off than he is now. He's a big boy and able to look after himself - not at all malnourished-looking when he first turned up here.

Think about it!

m21-M5

Postby m21-M5 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:50 pm

what weight is the cat??

annie

Postby annie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Is it more, or less, than an unladen African swallow?
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

local_celebrity

Postby local_celebrity » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Odd question! Are you a vet? Or planning some exotic roast dinner for guests?

He's a big cat, so I'd guess 5 or 6 kgs. I could weigh him if you really want me to.

annie

Postby annie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 pm

You need to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail to get that one, I'm afraid... !

:lol:

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 am

Or the Holiday Home For Pets Pie Company Ltd

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm

local_celebrity wrote:Thanks tOria, that's a great tip.

Here's another thought... Would anyone like a cat but are forbidden by their partner or landlord?

This chap is very outdoorsy, and would be happy enough living al fresco, being fed on the back doorstep. You could sneak him in to sit on your sofa on a casual, no-strings basis. In winter, some sort of hutch with straw would keep him warm. If you went on holiday, or even if you had to move away and end the arrangement, he'd be no worse off than he is now. He's a big boy and able to look after himself - not at all malnourished-looking when he first turned up here.

Think about it!

mr celebrity sounds like your kinda loving him there a bit, keeeeep him
:)

yoss

Postby yoss » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:30 pm

I agree. Keep this one and get rid of one of the old ones.

local_celebrity

Postby local_celebrity » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 pm

We're about to go away for 2 weeks, so we'll see if he's still around when we get back. Because I'm a softie, I'm thinking of making him some sort of shelter in the garden for the cold winter nights. Would hate to find him deceased in the shrubbery.

Louise

Postby Louise » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Male cats have been known to have several homes. I think they are wanderers by nature. I had a cat who liked to wander and one of his favourite places to visit was the Age Concern shop. It wasnt far from home and he always came home for dinner. He liked to sleep in the shop window. Unfortunately because he wasn't in his own home he was perceived as a stray by someone who lived over the shop and she packed him up in a basket and took him away. We never saw him again and the elderly people who were used to seeing him in the shop were terribly distressed, as were we.

So, he may not be a stray. He may enjoy visiting other peoples house and trying different dinners. Cats are like that, especially male cats.

Return to “Discussions”