Fire on Beech road

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
annie

Re: Fire on Beech road

Postby annie » Mon May 18, 2009 7:14 pm

It is MASSIVELY easier to get planning permission on an empty plot of land than to apply to demolish and replace existing property.

(Oh, and I don't "cash in" on property, bhoy... I have some ethics, oddly enough... and not enough money)
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

BeechBum

Postby BeechBum » Tue May 19, 2009 8:34 am

annie wrote:It is MASSIVELY easier to get planning permission on an empty plot of land than to apply to demolish and replace existing property.

(Oh, and I don't "cash in" on property, bhoy... I have some ethics, oddly enough... and not enough money)

is the lack of "cashing in" due to the lack or opportunity or your ethics?

Russ

Postby Russ » Tue May 19, 2009 11:22 am

As stated in my earlier post, you do not generally need permission to demolish a building. This being the case, anyone who is refused planning permission could demolish the exiting building and then reapply for permission (no need to even wait until it is unsafe). They don't because it's not massively more easy to get permission for a bit of land as opposed to a current building. If you wait long enough it may become a factor but not a massive one, and as stated earlier it is a gamble because you go from having a usable property with authorised use to a bit of land with no planning permission for any use. This results in a massive drop in the value of the land until you do manage to get a permission (if you do)

annie

Postby annie » Tue May 19, 2009 12:32 pm

BeechBum wrote:
annie wrote:It is MASSIVELY easier to get planning permission on an empty plot of land than to apply to demolish and replace existing property.

is the lack of "cashing in" due to the lack or opportunity or your ethics?

Both... but for the record I'm against the aquisition of property for the pursuit of profit. Houses are for living in.

I
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue May 19, 2009 1:46 pm

I don't think anyone is going to see much profit on property in the short term. My house is worth about 30,000 less now than it cost me 6 months ago. Fortunately I didnt buy it as an investment but simply to live in.

pauld

Postby pauld » Tue May 19, 2009 2:11 pm

Does anyone know what this property is so cheap?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... ndex%3D130

I've emailed the agent and they claim they don't know of any issues associated with this property, but it does seem to cheap to be true for such a big detached house.

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue May 19, 2009 3:22 pm

It says priced to sell. It's also on a fairly noisy road and has been on the market for some time (if memory serves).

It's also has the speed camera outside which leads to noise of cars slowing down and then speeding up again.

Aside from that, it looks like a good deal.
Keep an open mind...but not so open that your brain falls out.

Phila

Postby Phila » Tue May 19, 2009 9:18 pm

We noticed that a couple of weeks ago and thought the same. It would need a good coat of looking at to modernise, but really is cheap, I'd agree with Stanley abourt the location mind you.

annie

Postby annie » Wed May 20, 2009 6:14 pm

Depends if you have a quarter of a million lying around I suppose, or perhaps the £30,000 deposit.

These are just silly numbers to me.

Phila

Postby Phila » Wed May 20, 2009 9:10 pm

Annie, do you never look at property priceesaround here? I agree with your post about not buying property for profit. Presumably you're renting, so I'd be curious who your rent gets paid to. Possibly somenone who has bought a property for profit. Probably none of my business!!

annie

Postby annie » Thu May 21, 2009 10:08 pm

No that's fine.. glad to help if it satisfies your curiosity...

My current landlady bought my house to live in. Then she got married and moved into her husband's house. She's see sher old house as a nestegg. I'm pretty lucky in this respect, as she's a damn decent person.

Since I moved to Manchester, all the rent-for-profit landlords I have had to deal with (4 in total), have almost all been scumbags.

Phila

Postby Phila » Thu May 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Pretty lucky, Annie. We're in a similar situation right now, relatively reasonable rent from a landlord who has this property and his own house, though I'm not sure of the details. However, we are looking to buy sometime soon, but just to have our own place.

annie

Postby annie » Fri May 22, 2009 11:35 am

At the moment, I'm completely safe where I am (amazingly)... as she's as happy to have me and I am her ( fitted a new spam - sorry in it last year and we both contributed). I the kind of tenant who not only looks after a property, but adds value :)

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Fri May 22, 2009 11:59 am

Speaking as a landlord in the same mould, (bought house, fell in love, have no money and no pension so decided to keep house and service the mortgage and no more with rent) it's bloody easy to find lovely tenants when you treat people properly.
Keep an open mind...but not so open that your brain falls out.

annie

Postby annie » Fri May 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Oh I dunno... the increase in management companies and agencies have effectively put up a barrier between tenant and landlord these days.

When the pursuit of money is the primary goal, other considerations take a back seat. Just as there as plenty scumbag landlords around, there's a loads of scrotey tenants who will trash a place and cost the landlord money.

Marrying decent landlord with decent tenant is a tricky, and rather pot-luck business. Personal experience.

Return to “Discussions”