"Organic Food has no health benefits"

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Stanley

"Organic Food has no health benefits"

Postby Stanley » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:54 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8174482.stm

Chorlton relevance to this one.
Keep an open mind...but not so open that your brain falls out.

Trap Six

Re: "Organic Food has no health benefits"

Postby Trap Six » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 pm

"Organic Food has no health benefits".......???
But Stan, we told you this in the Feathers years ago...and that's the only 'relevance'.
Double pudding, chips, peas, fish, peas and pudding - healthier, cheaper, more satisfying.
Seconds please.

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Organic pudding, organic chips, organic peas and organic pudding?
Last edited by Stanley on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justoverthere

Postby justoverthere » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Oooh where have all the tree hugging Unicorn lovers gone!!! They seem very quiet on this topic.

I noticed the organic hot dog stall wasn't out-side Unicorn this Saturday maybe he's gone back to being 100% meat hotdogs at the nearest flea market.

Fungus Mungus

Postby Fungus Mungus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 pm

I buy the odd organic thing - and would buy more if I could afford it - but I never thought there was any particular nutritional benefit.
The only reason I buy organic is that I prefer to eat food that hasn't been sprayed with pesticides and artificial fertilizers.

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Fungus Mungus wrote:The only reason I buy organic is that I prefer to eat food that hasn't been sprayed with pesticides and artificial fertilizers.

"In the days before intensive farming, when farmers did not use pesticides or artificial fertilisers, food supplies were constantly endangered through climatic and environmental fluctuations and crops were frequently lost to pests and diseases. Agriculture was associated with grinding poverty, intensive labour, and low yield.

In the last 50 years, since synthetic chemicals came to be widely used, our life expectancy has increased by seven years or more. Healthier and safer food, together with better health provision, has improved our physical well-being and increased longevity, and modern agriculture deserves much of the credit."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-view/3615514/A-little-pesticide-does-you-good-but-organic-farming-harms-the-world.html

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:25 pm

says the first man that monsanto go to for a soundbite and allround promoter of genetically modified food Lord Taverne.

http://www.monsanto.com/biotech-gmo/asp ... ordTaverne

This man has been on a crusade against organic farming and pro- genetically modified foods for some years - if you don't buy into it fair enough but to actually claim that it is damaging the planet.... thats just crazy... i mean the guy has a pop at environmentalists in the role they played in banning DDT... he has no problem with DDT... stanley.. come on?

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Who said I agree with him? It doesn't really matter who said it, if what they say is right. Is what he says wrong?

I see no reason to buy organic and I think whether it is a good thing is open to debate.

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Stanley wrote:Who said I agree with him?

its very much inferred if you just post a block of quote and don't put any of your own thoughts down

Stanley wrote:It doesn't really matter who said it,

it really does if it is an out and out crank who comes out with utter nonsense like "Yet not a single study shows that exposure to DDT damages the health of human beings."

Stanley wrote: if what they say is right. Is what he says wrong?,

yes, it is utter nonsense, the mad ramblings of a mouthpiece for pharma companies

Stanley wrote: I see no reason to buy organic and I think whether it is a good thing is open to debate.

you see no reason to buy organic, but you think that the right to allow other people to buy it should be debated?

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 pm

Toast wrote:its very much inferred if you just post a block of quote and don't put any of your own thoughts down

Apologies. I don't have any thoughts on it. I thought it was worth discussing.

Toast wrote:it really does if it is an out and out crank who comes out with utter nonsense like "Yet not a single study shows that exposure to DDT damages the health of human beings."

Isaac Newton believed in alchemy.

Toast wrote:yes, it is utter nonsense, the mad ramblings of a mouthpiece for pharma companies

Could you point out how it is wrong, rather than just saying it is nonsense and screaming BIG PHARMA? (this is not meant to come across in the way it may be read. It is a genuine request)

Toast wrote:you see no reason to buy organic, but you think that the right to allow other people to buy it should be debated?

No. I think whether it is a good thing or not should be open to debate. I hope you can see the difference.

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Stanley wrote:Could you point out how it is wrong, rather than just saying it is nonsense and screaming BIG PHARMA? (this is not meant to come across in the way it may be read. It is a genuine request)

"Yet not a single study shows that exposure to DDT damages the health of human beings."

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:49 pm

The bit I quoted.

Here's something else interesting to add to the debate.

Organic pesticides

Rotenone - shown to cause the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease and is a natural poison.
Pyrethrum - shown to be carcinogenic
Sabadilla - shown to be highly toxic to honeybees (topical)

Since they're "all natural" (but still harmful to humans and wildlife), they're not as effective as their synthetic counterparts and so farmers need up to seven times as much for them to work.

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Stanley wrote:The bit I quoted.

"In the days before intensive farming, when farmers did not use pesticides or artificial fertilisers, food supplies were constantly endangered through climatic and environmental fluctuations and crops were frequently lost to pests and diseases. Agriculture was associated with grinding poverty, intensive labour, and low yield."

this is very subjective and loaded, Farming has changed immeasurably through new techniques - globalisation has allowed the farming techniques of the australian ranches to be adopted in the UK, and the face of farming has changed the world over... and efficiency has certainly increased - a battery farm will undoubtedly produce 'better' results than a non-battery farm... i field sprayed with monsanto products will undoubtedly produce 'better' crops than one that doesn't - if we take his subjective bit 'grinding poverty, intensive labour, and low yied' - well grinding poverty - no because all the small farms have gone to the wall and now the big farms are the model of efficiency - intensive labour, well no because of increased tech in far machinery and low yield - well no because of sprays - but as i said with my battery farm analogy - is that better? its better for the farmer, its better for the unit shifter, but for us? for wildlife for streams for bees?

In the last 50 years, since synthetic chemicals came to be widely used, our life expectancy has increased by seven years or more. Healthier and safer food, together with better health provision, has improved our physical well-being and increased longevity, and modern agriculture deserves much of the credit."

this is such utter horseshit i can't actually believe you are asking me to point it out for you... i'll not insult your intelligence if you don't mine - do i really have to go through this and explain why in the past 50 years life expectancy might have improved and that this may not entirely be down to the stuff that is sprayed on crops?

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Toast wrote: but for us? for wildlife for streams for bees?

See my post above about the pesticides used in organic farming.

Toast wrote:this may not entirely be down to the stuff that is sprayed on crops?

He never said it was though, did he?
Last edited by Stanley on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:06 pm

Stanley wrote:Here's something else interesting to add to the debate.

<snip>

no, this is a diversion tactic

Return to “Discussions”