"Organic Food has no health benefits"

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Stanley

Re: "Organic Food has no health benefits"

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:04 pm

You think it's relevant that the non-organic pesticides are harmful but it's a "diversion tactic" to mention that the organic ones are harmful. That's not really very balanced either. Are you just the opposite of the "crank"?
Keep an open mind...but not so open that your brain falls out.

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Stanley wrote:
Toast wrote:'organic pesticides are just as bad' nonsense

Is that nonsense? Please explain how.

Rotenone - shown to cause the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease and is a natural poison.
Pyrethrum - shown to be carcinogenic
Sabadilla - shown to be highly toxic to honeybees (topical)

rotenone - being phased out in the uk - only used in 'essential' mesaures - to be phased out in the next few years.. and a'a natural poison' what does that even mean - isn't table salt a natural poison

pyrethrum shown to be carcinagenic - again like burnt toast? or in application to veg plots?

sabadilla - if thats the case -research and act accordingly.

now - the orignal point if you are done here

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Stanley wrote:You think it's relevant that the non-organic pesticides are harmful but it's a "diversion tactic" to mention that the organic ones are harmful. That's not really very balanced either. Are you just the opposite of the "crank"?

stanley this is getting tedious in the extreme... i am not of the belief that all non-organic pesticides are harmful - not do i believe that it should be done away with - i do have a problem with his assertion that organic farming is harmful

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:10 pm

Toast wrote:i do have a problem with his assertion that organic farming is harmful

Me too. I also have a problem with this idea that it is automatically better than non-organic farming. You know about the pesticides used in non-organic farming but have not thought to research the ones used in organic farming. Therein lies the problem and my interest.

As I say, I am interested in finding out the truth. It seems both have their downsides, both have their benefits and the debate is very much open.

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Stanley wrote:It seems both have their downsides, both have their benefits and the debate is very much open.

Stanley - the past three pages have been sooooo worth it for that little gem of wisdom.... thats great, could you just do me a favour if you do quote some nutjob off the internet, could you interject with what bits you agree with and what you don't, and perhaps try to keep the argument to that rather than spending 3 bloody pages of pedantry and point avoiding only to see something like 'well i suppose both sides have a point'
Last edited by Toast on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:15 pm

Toast wrote:Stanley - the past three pages have been sooooo worth it for that little gem of wisdom.... thats great.

Toast - the past three pages have been sooooo worth it for that little gem of wisdom.... that's great. :mrgreen: Pointless digs aside, give me a shout if you want to discuss it any further.

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Stanley wrote:Pointless digs aside, give me a shout if you want to discuss it any further.

i don't think i will stanley, pointless digs aside, i think you are a bit of a weapon to be honest

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:30 pm

You had me all wrong from the start (with good reason) but it's a shame you've stuck to that. My point all along has been that organic is not automatically better and is indeed apparently not better in many ways. I always think it's better to stick to getting the truth about all sides of the argument. I'm sure you do too.

I hope you will re-read this one day and see that I am not as you have thought me to be.

digger

Postby digger » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:39 pm

You know, this reminds me of that debate we had about Jesus.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Toast

Postby Toast » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Stanley wrote:You had me all wrong from the start (with good reason) but it's a shame you've stuck to that.

there was a very good reason for that which i will get to shortly

Stanley wrote:My point all along has been that organic is not automatically better and is indeed apparently not better in many ways. I always think it's better to stick to getting the truth about all sides of the argument. I'm sure you do too.

were that your point i fail to see how on earth this would have got to where we are - no-one, not one person on this thread has tried to state that organic was better than unorganic - all we ask for is a choice. You, presented the opinion of someone who does not believe that we should have a choice and moreover holds some pretty far-out views - i pulled you up on this, you asked me to point out where - i think i did a pretty good job on that wherupon you started to descend into pedantry and continually pasting the names of 3 organic pesticides - that was not my point stanley, and you know full well that was not my point - my point was that the quote that you pasted was, along with the article an absolute crock of piss, had you come out and said ' you know what - that guy is crackers' - then we would have met on the middle ground and perfectly reasonable idea that while technology and bio-tech has done wonderful things we perhaps should be careful - rather than that we had you utterly refusing to denounce this loon ball who was the only one suggesting that one side should be held to the exclusion of the other.

Stanley wrote:I hope you will re-read this one day and see that I am not as you have thought me to be.

i have read enough of your posts and engaged in enough 'debates' to have a pretty clear idea

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Toast, I know what my point was. It wasn't what you think it was.

I'm not sure I really need to use an insult for the person putting forward that point. I've clearly stated that his personality is irrelevant if the points he has made are relevant to the debate. They are and you've addressed some of them. I'd rather steer clear of the name calling on this one. I have pointed out that he is not being well balanced.

I also don't know why you're intent on telling me what my point was, particularly since you're mistaken (with good reason, as I say).

You've had me all wrong and have effectively been trying to get me to argue something I don't believe. I don't believe the guy is 100% correct and I don't think he is balanced. I don't think organic should be banned. I never have.

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:32 pm

digger wrote:You know, this reminds me of that debate we had about Jesus.

I'm back in the middle ground on that one too now. I have seen no convincing evidence that Jesus did or didn't exist.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:34 pm

... and I don't like my food all covered in sh*t... and sold by vegans :)

(I dunno, makes as much sense...)
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Trap Six

Postby Trap Six » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Children, calm down!
Pyrethrums are the core chemical of household fly-spray so to conduct an experiment I sprayed half an aerosol on tonight's double pudding, chips, gravy. peas, two fish. curry sauce, double pudding chips and peas. and sausage and........... thus far I'm still alive...
Beats vinegar in my book.
Marvellous.

Steve Dubya
Location: Levenshulme as the Chelsea tractor driving yuppies lifted Chorlton house prices out of my reach.

Postby Steve Dubya » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:25 pm

All I can say is that my dad grows organic veg - tastes much better than that rubbish from supermarkets.

Return to “Discussions”