Chorlton Meadows Football Pitch Plan

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
troncloh

Chorlton Meadows Football Pitch Plan

Postby troncloh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:00 pm

I think this thread has more or less run its course now as it seems to have descended into unrelated arguments about cyclists and one persons personal hatred of football. Thanks to all who contributed.
The main focus of the campaign can now be followed at :
http://savechorltonmeadows.wordpress.com/
where councillors and our local MP ( John Leech ) have given clear guidelines on how we should go about making our feelings known.

As far as we know the planning app will be going in soon, if not already done, so look out for it on the MCC planning web site and pick up that pen ( keyboard and printer ) and start sending letters !

John, you've got my vote next summer !

http://www.southmanchesterreporter.co.uk/news/s/1131616_row_over_chorlton_meadows_football_pitch_plan

Do we really want 8 football pitches devastating an area of outstanding natural beauty and tranquillity ?
If this is for the "local community", Mr Turley, perhaps you should try asking the people of that district if they want it before you bring in the bulldozers.
The residents of this "local community" enjoy the peace and quiet of the meadows for walking, cycling, ornithology, family outings, nature studies, general relaxation and a whole host of other pastimes that are not normally readily available in built-up areas.
If you don't like Chorlton the way it is take your DIDSBURY football club back to whence it came !
We don't want foul mouthed language bellowing out all weekend and every evening shattering this oasis of peace.
We don't want footpaths established over the last 30 years ripped up just to bolster somebody's personal ego.
We don't want the extra traffic generated.
We like it the way it is.
There are plenty of football pitches in the area that are under used.
It is extremely arrogant to assume that the local people should want such a facility and outrageous that they have not even been consulted.
It shows complete contempt and a lack of respect and consideration to the people of Chorlton to have the audacity to actually purchase the land from UMIST in the expectation that such a scheme would be welcomed.
This is the same football club that is alleged to have destroyed a wooded copse without planning permission at the end of its field in the Chorltonville CONSERVATION AREA !
Can they be trusted ?
Once it's gone it's gone !
THIS SCHEME MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO GO AHEAD !
Last edited by troncloh on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiz67

Re: Chorlton Meadows Football Pitch Plan

Postby fiz67 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 pm

it always was a football field that area years ago i don't see the problem really the meadows and mersey valley is vast i think a small area can be used for recreation surely. people playing sport should be encouraged in this day and age i'd have thought.

Rossington III

Postby Rossington III » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Whilst i love the peace and tranquillity of the Meadows, i also play sunday league footy on some open, terrible, dog fouled pitches not fit for anything. Local clubs, generating their own funds through bid writing and putting their hands in their own pockets should be comended for pushing things forward and not necessarily dismissed out of hand. 4 out of the 8 pitches are for younger teams, encouraging local young people to get engaged in positive activities on good facilities, with well trained volunteers.

This area is owned by West Didsbury and Chorlton AFC so they certainly have the right to propose these sort of changes and they are not building on it, developing it for financial gain. The surroundig area has many many acres of open wild and semi-wild vegetation and is well able to cope with this change. Other local pitches that the juniors can play on are actually not that local, wythenshawe being one and a rubbish pitch in Cholrton Park. Other local full size playing fields towards turn Moss are wet, dog fouled, car crahs pitches and if the first poster wants a surcharge on her tax to enclose these, drain them, relay them, floodlight them and allow kids on them, she's braver than i am.

The ranting in the first post was hilarious, the reasoned argument was missing. I am not supporting the football club outright but would like to think things through a bit more and thing sport and leisure facilities for young people in particular, should be a much higher priority than they are.

annie

Postby annie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:41 pm

As it stands, the Meadows is an open area everyone can enjoy...Football pitches would be used only by football players.

That is inherantly discriminatory and I for one oppose it outright. there's LOADS of pitches opposite Longford Park, some in Chorlton Park... the Meadows belongs to the people, not bloody football players.

(I don't care if they are kids or not... football is tribal and dreadful)
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

uncle_tom

Postby uncle_tom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Rossington III wrote:This area is owned by West Didsbury and Chorlton AFC so they certainly have the right to propose these sort of changes and they are not building on it, developing it for financial gain. The surroundig area has many many acres of open wild and semi-wild vegetation and is well able to cope with this change. Other local pitches that the juniors can play on are actually not that local, wythenshawe being one and a rubbish pitch in Cholrton Park. Other local full size playing fields towards turn Moss are wet, dog fouled, car crahs pitches and if the first poster wants a surcharge on her tax to enclose these, drain them, relay them, floodlight them and allow kids on them, she's braver than i am.

As the proposed pitches are also on water meadows unless extensive drainage work is carried out these new pitches will also be wet and no doubt dog fouled.
Draining them will affect the ability of the surrounding area to cope with the intrusion, as will the nessacary access road, car parking and building work that will no doubt take place.

Use of this land for sport will also be one step in the direction of housing development.

digger

Postby digger » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:06 am

annie wrote:the Meadows belongs to the people

Well apparently this particular bit of it at least belonged to UMIST, and now belongs to West Didsbury and Chorlton AFC. Still, I suppose they're people too.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Steve Dubya
Location: Levenshulme as the Chelsea tractor driving yuppies lifted Chorlton house prices out of my reach.

Postby Steve Dubya » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Join forces with Friends of Levenshulme - a cracking bunch of campaigners who got together to fend off a similar plan for football pitches on Green Bank Fields. The deal was signed, sealed and delivered - 12' fence around football pitches (not available for public use) and a bar.... but FoL got together and won.

http://levenshulme.wetpaint.com/

Effective strategies that worked for FoL included...
    Petitions in local community shops, pubs etc...
    Loads of press coverage in South Manchester Reporter
    Online communication (facebook, own website etc...)
    Being about community and not subscribing to a particular political party
    one of my neighbours even made a record about the campaign http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWYeZgXVaTU

Also search for Friends of Levenshulme on facebook. It would be great if Chorlton and Levy community groups could share resources.

I'd say good luck but that is not going to help. I will quote Tony Benn - "Educate, Organise, Agitate!"

You will win, even though there will be timesd when you feel that you 100% won't win. Just know you will win.

Rob

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:52 pm

troncloh wrote:http://www.southmanchesterreporter.co.uk/news/s/1131616_row_over_chorlton_meadows_football_pitch_plan

REALLY? Pray tell.

It is extremely arrogant to assume that the local people should want such a facility and outrageous that they have not even been consulted.

REALLY? I think most Chortonville residents were in receipt of a letter outlining plans and inviting comments.

The fact is, local facilities for our national sport are poor. As other posted have said, they are either flooded, dog-fouled, ruining by horses and/or motorcycles, lacking changing facilities, lacking floodlights etc etc.

There IS a need for the facility proposed,however I do agree that this is not the appropriate location.

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:31 pm

Sounds dreadful. Nobody likes dogshit, but having association footballers nearby will be truly awful.

Can't the land be used for fox hunting instead?
'Drive-by insult merchant'

Dave32

Postby Dave32 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:43 pm

I love the meadows, my favourite bit of Chorlton by far. But the best thing about it is how few people in Manchester, and even in Chorlton, actually know what's there. If we do need more proper football pitches in this country, and that's debatable, then to be realistic it's probably better that they're here rather than converting more popular land to this use.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Rob wrote:
troncloh wrote:http://www.southmanchesterreporter.co.uk/news/s/1131616_row_over_chorlton_meadows_football_pitch_plan

REALLY? Pray tell.

REALLY? I think most Chortonville residents were in receipt of a letter outlining plans and inviting comments.

The fact is, local facilities for our national sport are poor. As other posted have said, they are either flooded, dog-fouled, ruining by horses and/or motorcycles, lacking changing facilities, lacking floodlights etc etc.

There IS a need for the facility proposed,however I do agree that this is not the appropriate location.

Turn Moss Road. LOADS of them... go have a look..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 16&iwloc=A

No. There's not. There's plenty space. Unused space, even on Sundays. It is only a "national game" for those who care to play or watch it. For the rest of us it's deadly boring rubbish.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Rob

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:11 am

Turn Moss, yes. I'm very familiar with it, my kids play football there every week.

Yes. there's plenty of space, but much of it is prone to flooding, the pitches are bumpy and uneven, there is inadequate carparking and poor changing facilities.

One solution would be to develop the proposed facility at Turn Moss instead. But I know one local football club has already tried that, and been knocked back by Trafford Council in the same way as West Didsbury and Chorlton will surely be by Manchester. The residents along Edge Lane we not exactly keen either, so you can hardly expect Chorltonville to be any different.

I took a bike ride down that part of the Meadows last night - I have to say it's hardly a prime part of the area, looks to be just open scrub and is on fairly raised land so not as prone to flooding as other parts. But is overlooked by a lot of wealthy back gardens ....

What's the derelict-looking buildings at the bottom of Hardy Lane next to the University Halls of Residence? Would seem to make more sense to develop that land for the football pitches since it's already "brownfield", or is that already included in these plans?

Toast

Postby Toast » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:07 am

Rob wrote:Turn Moss, yes. I'm very familiar with it, my kids play football there every week.

Yes. there's plenty of space, but much of it is prone to flooding, the pitches are bumpy and uneven, there is inadequate carparking and poor changing facilities.

i think thats always going to be a problem when you develop on a flood plain :wink:

Rob wrote:I took a bike ride down that part of the Meadows last night - I have to say it's hardly a prime part of the area, looks to be just open scrub and is on fairly raised land so not as prone to flooding as other parts. But is overlooked by a lot of wealthy back gardens ....

What's the derelict-looking buildings at the bottom of Hardy Lane next to the University Halls of Residence? Would seem to make more sense to develop that land for the football pitches since it's already "brownfield", or is that already included in these plans?

you are right in a way, but that open area is regularly cut and 'maintained' by... i'm not sure who, but i presume the owner, it is however a haven for wildlife and it could be even more so if it was not regularly cut. That building is, i think, an old students union, and As far as i am aware that is in the plans

Dave32

Postby Dave32 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 am

Toast wrote:That building is, i think, an old students union, and As far as i am aware that is in the plans

Didn't know this. What was a student union doing there, bit out of the way isn't it?

Return to “Discussions”