Whalley Range

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Louisa

Whalley Range

Postby Louisa » Mon May 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Would you live in Whalley Range??

Russ

Re: Whalley Range

Postby Russ » Mon May 10, 2010 12:34 pm

nope

digger

Postby digger » Mon May 10, 2010 2:10 pm

I do. It's lovely :mrgreen:
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Louisa

Postby Louisa » Mon May 10, 2010 2:12 pm

why would you not??
I'm looking for a place to live and saw somewhere nice in Whalley Range yesterday. But I kind of had my heart set on living in Chorlton..hmm what to do??

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Mon May 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Whalley Range is quite big. Whereabouts?
Keep an open mind...but not so open that your brain falls out.

Louisa

Postby Louisa » Mon May 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Opp Manley Park..

yoss

Postby yoss » Mon May 10, 2010 2:53 pm

yes, but not there.

Louisa

Postby Louisa » Mon May 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Well it's actually York Ave- directly opposite Manley Park. What do ya reckon?
Or should I hold tight until something comes in Chorlton??

chorlton stew

Postby chorlton stew » Mon May 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Well it's actually York Ave- directly opposite Manley Park. What do ya reckon?
Or should I hold tight until something comes in Chorlton??

hold very very tight, and avoid

Rossington III

Postby Rossington III » Mon May 10, 2010 3:57 pm

my mrs lived just down clarendon on cambridge rd towards withington road and had trouble from a scally renting family at the end of the alleyway, yet a friend lived on spencer ave at the egerton rd end of clarendon with no problems and a lovely community of asian and other families for many years. It is very hard to know just how good or bad your neighbours are before you move.

With a mix of owner occupied and rented there, its difficult to get Anti-social behaviour nipped in the bud quickly. But that is true down party streets like kepple Rd, Brundretts, Albany Rd etc too. Noisy b*ggers.

Louisa

Postby Louisa » Mon May 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Hmmm I reckon I'm gonna stay put and wait until something comes up in Chorlton...

Thank you! :P

annie

Postby annie » Mon May 10, 2010 11:56 pm

This is silly....

There's big chunk of Whalley Range, right in the middle, which is proper scally land, but much of it is lovely. Blair Road, Kingswood Road, Kings Road, St Austell Road... all that area... lovely.

The area to the east of Alexandra Road South (before you get to the park)

Go see it. Judge for yourself.

As for the implication that tenants are somehow inherently bad, then that's a load of bull.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

MikeR

Postby MikeR » Tue May 11, 2010 12:29 am

my house backs on to manley park (its on park drive) and i love it here. its green, friendly and its great for fresh and low priced food from local shops esp fruit and veg. its also 99p for a 4-pint milk!my family are from chorlton and w range going back years and i much prefer it to chorlton. actually, i dont know how much id like it here if chorlton wasnt on my doorstep though. that is an important part of its appeal. scallywise, ive never seen any trouble although withington road has a reputation as a bit dodgy - it feels a bit edgier and still has the occasional prostitute knocking about though i havent noticed one for a few months. unless someone offered something pretty special i wouldnt swap for a move back to chorlton. we have lots of grass and trees and less of chorltons narrow vehicle-congested streets. its easy to stroll along brantingham road to chorlton centre so i would say give it a go.

Stanley

Postby Stanley » Tue May 11, 2010 7:30 am

That's the impression I have of Whalley Range too, MikeR.

You might like to avoid putting "unless someone is offering something pretty special" immediately after talking about prostitutes though...
Keep an open mind...but not so open that your brain falls out.

???

Postby ??? » Tue May 11, 2010 8:31 am

I've got a friend who lives on Bury Avenue just off York Avenue and it is really nice down there. York Avenue does not look as appealing as the doors open straight onto the pavement and the road is a bit busier.

Also know people who live on Clarendon Road and they like it. Again their house is on the side of the road where the doors do not open up straight onto the pavement though.

Plus side of living there is that it is cheaper and still less than a 10 minute walk to the bars of Chorlton. Plus you have Jam St and Hillary Step on Upper Chorlton Road. It is not as nice as Chorlton, but if you can only afford to buy the place on York Avenue, you will be waiting a long time to buy a house in Chorlton for the same price, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Return to “Discussions”