Whalley Range

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Louisa

Re: Whalley Range

Postby Louisa » Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 am

I won't rule Whalley Range out as I felt a really nice energy around the place what with all the lovely trees and so on.
However I do like to go out in Chorlton during the evening and I want my walk home to be as short as possible really.
I certainly wouldn't rule it out completely though.

Robonthegreen

Postby Robonthegreen » Tue May 11, 2010 10:02 am

I lived at the junction of Wood Rd and Carlton Rd for four years and never had any problems. Its really nice during the green spring and summer months and really quiet. The tree lined roads are quite spectacular in full bloom. I used to love walking down to the Jam St. Cafe for a couple of beers and the Carlton Club was next door which often had good nights on. This side of Whalley Range is nice.

I grew up just off Springbridge Rd. The other side of Withington Road from Wood Rd. This place was a different kettle of fish. I was mugged twice, attacked once and our house was burgled once.

Now I live right on Chorlton Green, across from the Horse and Jockey. Its generally nice until the sun comes out and the green seems to attract all kinds of scum. They bring beers from the local off licences and bbq's and when they leave there is rubbish all over the place, broken glass on the road and they pee up the tree's in full view of my window. I have had quite good views of a few fights later on in the evening. However, the Police seem to have increased there presence which seems to have helped a little bit, but they can't be there all the time.

annie

Postby annie » Tue May 11, 2010 5:02 pm

The green used to be a lovely place for summer's evening, but some time in mid-2000's the scallies moved in and turned the Green to shit.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Rossington III

Postby Rossington III » Tue May 11, 2010 6:37 pm

not sure what you thought i meant about tennant and owner occupied Annie. So what i actually meant was that because it is mixed betwixt owner occupied, private rents and RSL's its difficult to get to the bottom of ASB quickly as you struggle to find the right housing officer or council dept ready to take them on.

I wouldn't say tennants are generally worse than owner occupied becuase i am a tennant and thats a sweeping generalisation. However, finding out who owned the property is a ball ache. In that particular case was tricky and when we did (we thought it was owener occupied at first, then you really are stuffed) the landlord was not interested in assisting us to remind the tennants that they were in breech of their tennancy and could be evicted (eventually). This is often the quickest way to bring asb back into line rather than the police, asbo's or council. The whole thing took ages and soon after my mrs moved out and rented hers to someone, the scally family left takin their evil dogs and their fat kids with them.

If they were all owener occupied or all RSL then its easier to get either the police, environmental health or more usually the RSL to take action. One organisation takes responsibility rather than the confusion of who really cares about a neighbourhood.

jgpp

Postby jgpp » Wed May 19, 2010 8:10 pm

I've lived in Whalley Range now for eight years, just off Wibraham rd near Withington rd . I'd spent the previous three decades in Chorlton , a stones throw from the Jockey. I've honestly not encountered any problems with the area other than it's probably a tad too "quiet", shops and pubs are a good 10 min walk.
Whilst living in the Green in a terrace of ten houses everyone of them was burgled in the time I lived there, some more than once. I read an article a couple of years ago in the local rag about spate of house breaking in Chorlton, it ran to dozens but the Police said it was probably the work of one or two people. You can get that in any area.

Ian9331

Postby Ian9331 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm

My parents have owned a property on Rowan Avenue in W. Range for many years now. Whalley Range is Top Notch.

Hazlitt76

Postby Hazlitt76 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:07 am

What about between Alness Rd and Withington Road? I'm looking to move up from London but only know a couple of parts of Manchester.

Return to “Discussions”