Then and Now...

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
fiz67

Re: Then and Now...

Postby fiz67 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 pm

carry on please... road markings have gone mad since then too

disappointedofm21

Postby disappointedofm21 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:31 pm

more more more!

Mardi

Postby Mardi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Awesome stuff Pete, keep it coming. How about turning this into a game - post the "then" photo then we try and guess where it is before you post the "now"?

Looks like you're enjoying your 12-8 anyway!

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:20 pm

These are terrific Pete, thanks.

Can you do the baths at all? This has also got me wondering what would have been on the next stretch of Manchester Road, where we now have what look like later, maybe nineteen sixties, buildings - what are now the Unicorn, social services and so on. I wonder if this bit was bombed in WW2? Although there are older buildings right behind. Feeling a bit ignorant now and am off to have a bit of a google . . .

andrewb

Postby andrewb » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Absolutely brilliant thread!! Love the idea of guessing 'what's it look like now'

Pete - you're a star!

the loz

Postby the loz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Pete,I Love this!!
I did a then and now project for Uni last year on Victoria Park (Rusholme) I love delving in to the library photo archive!

Pete, keep up the good work!
Loz :)
Last edited by the loz on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:09 pm

The one of the present Abbey is interesting. Obviously when it was a bank it had 3 side windows. Then for years it was two windows and a separate shop, It was the electricity showroom before it was absorbed back into the Abbey and became three windows again. I remember when the side part of the Natwest whih abuts onto Wilbraham Rd was a butchers, then it got sucked into the bank,

SMOKEY

Postby SMOKEY » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:13 pm

The old picture of Barclays bank reminds me.
When I was a student we decided to pretend to "have robbed that bank". There was one set of doors that opened into a tiny foyer and then you walked through a second set of doors that went into the bank.
We were going to walk into the foyer, stay there for a few seconds until anyone who had seen us go in would have walked on a bit. Then we'd have fired this starting pistol that we'd found that hadn't been lost, then run outside and jump into a car and speed away.
Anyone outside the bank would think they'd witnessed a bank robbery.
The people inside the bank wouldn't be concerned, they'd know it was not anything to do with them.

On the day we were to do it, I bought a morning newspaper and read a report of what had occurred in Knightsbridge the previous day.
A guy was doing an armed robbery on a bank in Knightsbridge and he let some dotty old lady (as he thought) out of the bank, she collared a passing policeman who entered the bank and the robber (who knew that in 1972/3 no uniformed policemen carried guns) raised his gun towards the policeman, the policeman responded by shooting the robber dead.
The robber was actually bluffing, his gun was a fake, the policeman's gun wasn't.
At that time, the only uniformed policemen to routinely carry guns were the ones protecting embassies and this bobby was on his way to do just that.

Unsurprisingly, we didn't carry on with our little role playing game.

SMOKEY

Postby SMOKEY » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 pm

PeteMakstar wrote:Which corner of the 4 banks is this????
http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/web ... firn=16783

If you walked from the Lloyds hotel up to the four banks corner and turned right onto Barlow Moor Road, heading towards Didsbury, you'd have walked along the two faces of this shop, I think it was Kemp's Chemist and that was why the junction was known as Kemp's Corner before becoming known as 4 Banks.

SMOKEY

Postby SMOKEY » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:47 pm

The old picture of the Conservative Club reminds me that once upon a time it's Union Jack Flag went missing.
(fair enough-property is theft an'all that)
It then went to a Wembley Cup Final and a couple of holidays. Heaven knows why.

Then in 1977 it was The Queen's Silver Jubilee and the demand for flags was ridiculous.
There was a story in the Manchester Evening News about how some thieving little tosser had pinched the big flag from the Old Soldiers place, Broughton House, over in Salford/Cheetham way.
I thought that was a f*****g disgrace as they couldn't get a replacement for love nor money and these guys would have been the ones who'd actually fought in the Second World War thirty odd years before and Burma, Aden etc since....... and some thieving little selfish ba****d scrote had pinched their Union Jack, just before the Silver Jubilee.
Disgraceful, have some people no morals.

I had a flag at the time, it was a huge Union Jack, can't remember or imagine where it came from, at a Consevative estimate I'd say I'd had it for a few years.
I drove over to Broughton House but couldn't just go and knock at the door and hand it over, they'd have thought that it was theirs and that I was some sort of "thieving little selfish ba****d scrote".
So I drove past the place and parked around the corner and a couple of old boys walked towards me in "old style blazers" so I asked if they were from Broughton House and when they said yes, I gave them the flag and cleared off quick before they gave me a damn good thrashing that they'd think I so richly deserved.

scottie

Postby scottie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:47 am

PeteMakstar wrote:The game starts here!!!

Where is this??? I'm uploading to Tinypic, so am not hotlinking the images, so am hoping this thread wont get found out and shut down.

Croma?

the loz

Postby the loz » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 pm

thats where Edge lane meets Wilbraham road the corner of Hampson road?? or Hampton
Last edited by the loz on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the loz

Postby the loz » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Pete, that last one is St Clem's isnt it?? not St Werberghs? or am i mistaken

yoss

Postby yoss » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Best thread on here for ages.

These paired photos, and the comments should be copied to a proper web page somewhere as well.

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Loving the VW camper on outside 318 Barlow Moor Road and the pictures of Longford cinema. Such a shame that hasn't been properly preserved.

Are there any pictures of the old St Clement's church? Or anything around the bus station?

Return to “Discussions”