Then and Now...

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
digger

Re: Then and Now...

Postby digger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:30 am

Yes, that Longford Cinema looks superb back then, doesn't it? And showing When Knights Were Bold too - in the days When Films Were Films. As well as Jack Buchanan, I note from that IMDb link that his co-star was Fay Wray (of King Kong fame) as the Lady Rowena.

One for Chorlton Film Society, maybe? At least it wouldn't have subtitles.

Great thread, Pete. Along with all the others I'll keep reading if you keep posting!
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:06 am

That cinema looked absolutely magnificent but you can see how the road widening has removed the plaza in front of it. The new road may also have done for that ornate canopy too.

Far too nostalgic I know, but I can't help thinking that most of the streetscapes looked a lot nicer in the original photos than they do now...

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:07 am

Oops! forgot to say: great work Pete and please keep posting these photos.

freeguitarlesson

Postby freeguitarlesson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Fantastic Pete, got my car on one of them there too.

Perhaps in 50 years time, people will marvel at the motoring classic that is the 1995 Nissan Micra and ask in wonderous awe what 'The Family' was...
"Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead..."

scottie

Postby scottie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:26 pm

the feathers currently looks more like the old photo as it's being demolished/renovated

digger

Postby digger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:20 pm

PeteMakstar wrote:I agree things looked much smarter and cleaner back then...maybe all these buildings were just relatively new back then!

From what I've seen at least part of the reason everything looks smarter and cleaner in 1959 is that we apparently didn't need as much street furniture back then to tell us where to go/stop us from going there/protect us from each other. No rusting, bent, drunkenly leaning pedestrian fencing, no pelican crossings, one-way streets, double yellow lines, green cycle tracks, painted parking spaces, etc.

Not saying any or all of these are bad, particularly, but they don't half make the place look untidy.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Mardi

Postby Mardi » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:39 pm

Colour photos, hmmm....

That would be good. There must be some around from say the 70's? How about the 60's? There's a challenge Pete (and everyone else) - find the oldest colour photo of Chorlton!

SMOKEY

Postby SMOKEY » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:51 pm

The old photo of the National Westminster Bank reminds me of another old'ish story from Chorlton, but I'm not entirely sure from how long ago (possibly only 20 years or so) or whether it's entirely accurate or whether I'm mixing up two stories into one.
Perhaps someone else can confirm or deny it's accuracy.
The story as I heard/remember it was that there was a guy working at Nat.West who'd not taken a holiday from work in something like twenty years and never explained why to anyone.
Eventually, he got appendicitis and was rushed off to hospital and whilst he was away from work the guy standing in for him discovered that the ill bloke had committed some fraud on the bank years and years before.
Realising that he'd be found out, he'd declined his holiday entitlement every year.
The amount he'd defrauded turned out to be a tiny percentage of the value of the extra 4 or so weeks work he effectively worked for nothing every year.
As I remember it, he was prosecuted for the fraud and found guilty.

Anybody else remember anything about it?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks so much for doing this Pete, they're great.

I think I may have identified one where the more recent picture actually looks better than the older. It's the second photo of Chorlton library, face on, looking nice and clean, with trees. What a contrast with the poor old leisure centre, which looks to have originally had a splendid glass roof over the pool(s). (Did there used to be more than one pool?)

On street furniture, the unattractive battered barrier outside the baths is particularly maddening, as the door that would otherwise have released streams of stampeding kids straight into the traffic is no longer in use, so the nasty fence has had no function for years.

pete27

Postby pete27 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Brilliant pictures.....just wondering if some of the people in the con club are still the same ones who go in now............. :lol:

SMOKEY

Postby SMOKEY » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:20 pm

I hope not, they'll be asking about that flag.

pete27

Postby pete27 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:02 am

I am sure that there are some that go in there over the weekend that will remember the incident. On some nights (usually a Friday) the con club can be a good place for a night out. Fantastic building but suprising how man people dont even know its there. Might make a difference now that they have taken the hedge down.

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:45 am

trams use to go into town, i think i remember my mum saying they used to turn arround at the bus station, and where charango/proof are now and also corner of buckingham and machester road is, there is a little triangle of land where a bus stop is just over bridge past the swimming baths think this land stems from a tram turn arround spot. terminus?

SMOKEY

Postby SMOKEY » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks Pete Makstar, a brilliant thread and a good few reminders of what Chorlton used to be like.
Worryingly, a few bad reminders of what I used to be like too. (sorry :oops: )

Return to “Discussions”