Then and Now...

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Louise

Re: Then and Now...

Postby Louise » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:32 pm

I moved to Chorlton in the 70's and yes, I was all grown up. Looking at those pics brings back many memories of what used to be where etc. I remember walking past what is now the Battery Park one night and a man exposing himself to me and my friend. Thing was, it was snowing and below freezing and his poor little dick looked frozen. We advised him to put it back in his pants before it fell off.

The shop which now sells freezers and fridges on Manchester Road used to sell car parts. Something went wrong with the electrics on our car and I said to my husband he should get a replacement whatever from there. He said, rather grimly.,"In that case I had better hurry up. I sold them sixty P60 forms last week"
Sure enough, a month later they were gone.

the loz

Postby the loz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Pete,

seeing as you are getting in to this, there are a couple of books ive had while doing history at Uni, they are essentially picture books and are still available
one is called Looking back at Chorlton the other is called the township of Chorlton-cum-Hardy both are by John Lloyd also there is a then and now photograph book called Chorlton-cum-Hardy by Cliff Hays its part of the looking back at Britian series.

worth a look if you want to find out more about local history

Louise

Postby Louise » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:26 pm

If you ask behind the counter at the library, they used to have a box full of local history press cuttings and stuff which they will lend you to have a look at. Unless its moved to the Central Library in which case you are screwed.

C.Cat

Postby C.Cat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:05 pm

My mum is enjoying this thread very much

Louise

Postby Louise » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:56 am

C.Cat wrote:My mum is enjoying this thread very much

I am sure she can drop a few stories. She has been here/there longer than I have/was

annie

Postby annie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Better late than never... loving all this, Pete :)
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Yup, all good stuff.

I'd actually like to see photos from just 15 years ago too - Chorlton has changed a lot in the time I've been here.

otherman

Postby otherman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:49 pm

Louise wrote:The shop which now sells freezers and fridges on Manchester Road used to sell car parts.

I remember it well, used it a few times. It was part of a local chain, I remember there was another one on moss road in stretford, I think it was called Motorland

MikeR

Postby MikeR » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm

this is a great thread pete. ive passed it on to a few people to have a look. you are quite an inventive fellow arent you - youve probably created more interesting threads on here than anyone else over the years ive been popping on and off. i seem to remember you moaning about being stuck in a crappy admin job. you should be exploiting your talents in my opinion. id buy your book!

Louise

Postby Louise » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Bernard Leach did much the same thing on here many years ago. Is he still around or are his pics still available?

Fungus Mungus

Postby Fungus Mungus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:51 am

Thanks - I'm enjoying these too!
if i was organised enough i'd print some old pics out and try this...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/lookingintothepast/

Rob

Postby Rob » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:12 pm

That last pic but one, with Wilbraham Garage on it. Is that where Chorlton Pottery used to be circa 1990?

In which case there must be a nice space out the back behind one or other of the pizza takeaways, going to waste.

And The Lloyds ... perhaps the only building so far to be wearing rather well!

Louise

Postby Louise » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:29 pm

The stumps from the petrol pumps were there for many years.

Fungus Mungus

Postby Fungus Mungus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:38 pm

Oh yes.. I remember those stumps... they were covered in mosaic.
A lot better than the current obstacle course of pizza delivery vehicles blocking the pavement!

ArcticFox

Postby ArcticFox » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 am

Have enjoyed reading your (mostly) entertaining posts over the years Pete and hope you feel you can join again at some point and I'm sure the few "off colour postings" you have made have been more through naivety than malice - It's only an internet forum and it really doesn't matter in the real world...
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Return to “Discussions”