Chorlton Tram

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
bufty1

Chorlton Tram

Postby bufty1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Any one know when the tram opens? Last thing I heard it was spring? Just getting sick of the 85 /86 where the bus driver stops at bus stops to kill time even when there are no passengers...

Pearl

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Pearl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:13 pm

One of those uniformed metrolink people, who often seem to stand around near the doors on trams, recently told me that it would be March.

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 pm

bufty1 wrote: Just getting sick of the 85 /86 where the bus driver stops at bus stops to kill time even when there are no passengers...

Oh my GOD that drives me mad. I've asked the driver why they are doing that in the past and they always say they need to keep to their timetables. If it was a bus that only ran once an hour it would be understandable. But the 85 or 86? They come every couple of minutes, does it really matter that much?

When the driver says they are running early, but it's 8.30 and I'm running late, I really don't care. And you don't get any advantage from school holidays, when the journey should be shorter.

Grrr!

gitface

Postby gitface » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Is there any way to work out the price of a season ticket from Chorlton High to somewhere else? It's easy to get prices for currently operational stops on the MetroLink website, but nothing for the three(?) new stops on the Chorlton spur.

Guesswork welcome!

EDIT: Yes, the "timetable stops" do my nut in as well. It would be understandable if the buses ever ran on schedule, but as far as I can work out the weekday timetable is more a guide of likely waiting time (i.e. interval between buses) than an estimated time of arrival for an actual bus. :evil:

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:22 am

gitface wrote:Is there any way to work out the price of a season ticket from Chorlton High to somewhere else? It's easy to get prices for currently operational stops on the MetroLink website, but nothing for the three(?) new stops on the Chorlton spur.

Guesswork welcome!

EDIT: Yes, the "timetable stops" do my nut in as well. It would be understandable if the buses ever ran on schedule, but as far as I can work out the weekday timetable is more a guide of likely waiting time (i.e. interval between buses) than an estimated time of arrival for an actual bus. :evil:

I don't know where "Chorlton High" is, but I'd hazard a guess that tickets from Morrisons to town would cost around the same as from Stretford (£47 for a 4-weekly ticket, £130 for a quarter).

gitface

Postby gitface » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:01 am

ash pole wrote:I don't know where "Chorlton High" is, but I'd hazard a guess that tickets from Morrisons to town would cost around the same as from Stretford (£47 for a 4-weekly ticket, £130 for a quarter).

Chorlton High is the last stop. I think they were going to call it St. Werburgh's Road but then named it after the local high school. I think. Probably. Ish.

Cheers for the guesswork. That was about what I'd figured as well. It seems a bit strange that Metrolink / GMPTE / the council / the hippies haven't been bombarding us with advertising about how ace it's going to be doesn't it?

Welcome, by the way. 8)

annie

Postby annie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:09 am

Eh?

The stop will be called "St Werburgh's Road"

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/futuremetrolink/south-manchester-line.asp
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

gitface

Postby gitface » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:33 am

All very well saying "eh?", but it depends who you're listening to. Your link was dated 2009 when it was due to be called St. Werburgh's Road. I'll see your 2009 link and raise you two more:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8180345.stm
http://menmedia.co.uk/southmanchesterreporter/news/s/1127640_its_lemon_fresh_tif
http://www.gmpte.com/2009_news.cfm?news_id=6117889?submenuheader=3 <- including that one which describes the Chorlton High stop being at St' W's.

I'll bet you a mung bean to a lentil it's Chorlton High. But you know best as always Annie. :yawn:

annie

Postby annie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 am

gitface wrote:All very well saying "eh?", but it depends who you're listening to. Your link was dated 2009 when it was due to be called St. Werburgh's Road. I'll see your 2009 link and raise you two more:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8180345.stm
http://menmedia.co.uk/southmanchesterreporter/news/s/1127640_its_lemon_fresh_tif
http://www.gmpte.com/2009_news.cfm?news_id=6117889?submenuheader=3 <- including that one which describes the Chorlton High stop being at St' W's.

I'll bet you a mung bean to a lentil it's Chorlton High. But you know best as always Annie. :yawn:

Ooh look... an unprovoked insult... how boring.

The page I linked to seems to be the current information on the website. If it is to be called "Chorlton High", then why have they not updated it accordingly?

"Chorlton High" is a rather silly name. Bit like you, gitface.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

gitface

Postby gitface » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:51 am

Where's the insult? It was an observation.

Why have they not updated the fare information and opening dates?

Why have they not updated the date at the bottom of the page?

Why have they put up signs saying Chorlton High?

Who is that masked man?

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 am

Its running close to schedule, so March is about right. Ticket prices are going to be similar to Sale/Dane Road I would think. £60 a month(ish)

The 85/86 have to stop to use up time for lots of reasons. Firstly, Picc Gardens can only cope with 2/3 of the buses at a time and the buses HAVE to leave there at the set time, so you can't queue. Secondly, performance of bus routes is measured and acted upon by GMPTE.

The tram will be a white elephant in Chorlton until the Dids extension is built. It will take about the same time to get to town as the bus and will cost about £20 more. Chorlton High and Morrissons stops will be surrounded by cars, parking will be a nightmare, blah blah...

digger

Postby digger » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:28 am

FurFoxAche wrote:The tram will be a white elephant in Chorlton ...

Or a green elephant, as the case may be, in which case it will be welcomed into the fold like a well-worn hemp sweater.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

freeguitarlesson

Postby freeguitarlesson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 am

Look out! Look out!
Pink elephants on parade
Here they come!
Hippety hoppety
They're here and there
Pink elephants ev'rywhere
Look out! Look out!
They're walking around the bed
On their head
Clippety cloppety
Arrayed in braid
Pink elephants on parade
What'll I do? What'll I do?
What an unusual view!
I could stand the sight of worms
And look at microscopic germs
But technicolor pachyderms
Is really much for me
I am not the type to faint
When things are odd or things
are quaint
But seeing things you know that ain't
Can certainly give you an awful fright!
What a sight!
Chase 'em away!
Chase 'em away!
I'm afraid need your aid
Pink elephants on parade!
Pink elephants!
Pink elephants!
"Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead..."

annie

Postby annie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:55 am

freeguitarlesson wrote:Look out! Look out!
Pink elephants on parade
Here they come!
Hippety hoppety
They're here and there
Pink elephants ev'rywhere
Look out! Look out!
They're walking around the bed
On their head
Clippety cloppety
Arrayed in braid
Pink elephants on parade
What'll I do? What'll I do?
What an unusual view!
I could stand the sight of worms
And look at microscopic germs
But technicolor pachyderms
Is really much for me
I am not the type to faint
When things are odd or things
are quaint
But seeing things you know that ain't
Can certainly give you an awful fright!
What a sight!
Chase 'em away!
Chase 'em away!
I'm afraid need your aid
Pink elephants on parade!
Pink elephants!
Pink elephants!

You can get a cream for that, mate.

Dave32

Postby Dave32 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:42 pm

FurFoxAche wrote:Its running close to schedule, so March is about right. Ticket prices are going to be similar to Sale/Dane Road I would think. £60 a month(ish)

The 85/86 have to stop to use up time for lots of reasons. Firstly, Picc Gardens can only cope with 2/3 of the buses at a time and the buses HAVE to leave there at the set time, so you can't queue. Secondly, performance of bus routes is measured and acted upon by GMPTE.

The tram will be a white elephant in Chorlton until the Dids extension is built. It will take about the same time to get to town as the bus and will cost about £20 more. Chorlton High and Morrissons stops will be surrounded by cars, parking will be a nightmare, blah blah...

How do you work that one out? From Stretford to the city centre takes about 10-15 minutes, it's the same distance as Chorlton.
Last edited by Dave32 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Discussions”