Chorlton Tram

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
StePee
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby StePee » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:21 pm

-not sure about Larch; looking more like Logs last time I passed!

User avatar
digger
Posts: 1918
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:41 pm
Location: Whalley Range

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby digger » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:26 pm

annie wrote: I keep thinking it's a larch.

Ah yes, but is it #1 The Larch, or #3, The Larch?
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

User avatar
annie
Posts: 4816
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:08 am
Location: Chorlton

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby annie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 am

Decisions, decisions.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

User avatar
Louise
Posts: 3350
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:58 pm

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Louise » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 pm

I think I would opt for the Larch, unless it's a rare Norwegian blue.

Dave32
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Dave32 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Paula Pickle wrote:Hello Chorltonians
I was thrilled to hear about the Metro station openning in St. Werburghs. Some of you may know that I used to live under that bridge in a tent. As I never get to Chorlton now I wonder if there are any photos of the station, maps etc? I wonder where the entrance is and which side of the road the station is? I have seen a bit of poor You-tube video, but it just concentrates on one train arriving and leaving.
Regards, to contributors. Annie must be getting very old by now :-)

Paula



Hi Paula. I found myself accidentally at SWR station this afternoon and remembered your request. Here are my efforts:

DSC04276.JPG
DSC04276.JPG (113.08 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

DSC04279.JPG
DSC04279.JPG (93.15 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

DSC04281.JPG
DSC04281.JPG (109.9 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

Pearl
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Pearl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Have you encountered the plain clothes under-cover ticket inspectors yet? Very slick. The other morning they swept through the whole tram once the doors had closed, caught masses of people without tickets and delivered them at the next station to a big group of uniformed colleagues. We estimated that around a quarter to a third of people had no ticket, which seemed pretty high considering that quite a few people have free passes and whatnot.

Dave32
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Dave32 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Pearl wrote:Have you encountered the plain clothes under-cover ticket inspectors yet? Very slick. The other morning they swept through the whole tram once the doors had closed, caught masses of people without tickets and delivered them at the next station to a big group of uniformed colleagues. We estimated that around a quarter to a third of people had no ticket, which seemed pretty high considering that quite a few people have free passes and whatnot.


No, haven't seen these yet. Been catching the tram most weekdays since it opened, so about 2 months now, but think I've only ever been "inspected" once.

It does worry me a bit as I'm quite absent minded. My monthly ticket is from Chorlton to Victoria but (as today) I'm sometimes in a bit of a daydream and I miss my stop. Wonder if they'd fine me for getting out at SWR instead? Bearing in mind it's the same price as from Chorlton.

User avatar
Paula Pickle
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Elterwater, Lake District

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Paula Pickle » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:48 am

Hi Dave,
Thanks for those photos. Very kind to remember.
Paula

Badgerr
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:33 am
Location: Chorlton

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Badgerr » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:02 am

Dave32 wrote:It does worry me a bit as I'm quite absent minded. My monthly ticket is from Chorlton to Victoria but (as today) I'm sometimes in a bit of a daydream and I miss my stop. Wonder if they'd fine me for getting out at SWR instead? Bearing in mind it's the same price as from Chorlton.


According to the travelshop, the ticketing is done by zone rather than stop. SWR is the same zone as Chorlton, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Dave32
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:58 pm

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Dave32 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Badgerr wrote:According to the travelshop, the ticketing is done by zone rather than stop. SWR is the same zone as Chorlton, so you shouldn't have any problems.


I was a bit dubious about this but I emailed Metrolink and they confirmed it. And the outward journey can go to any stop in the city zone too. Even if the ticket says it's to Deansgate it's valid to Victoria and Piccadilly as well.

bufty1
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby bufty1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:42 am

Good news here that the tram wıll be more frequent wıth a servıce every 6 mıns rather than every 12. Apparantly when thıs actıve traffıc mgt system ıs lınked ın wıth the exıstıng network. Should be done by Dec thıs year accordıng to travel shop. I know ıts not untıl 2016 but the aırport lıne wıll be every 12 mıns 24 hours a day to Chorlton and St W's - surely that wıll be a good thıng for Chorlton?

User avatar
annie
Posts: 4816
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:08 am
Location: Chorlton

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby annie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:11 am

The airport link has got to be the most sensible link ever. I was always baffled why they went to flippin' Bury first!

A reliable, fast service that won't forget about your pre-booked journey (like some taxis do) will be fantastic, and Chorlton will be the better for it too.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

WingardiumLeviosa
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:48 am
Location: Chorlton

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby WingardiumLeviosa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 pm

bufty1 wrote:Good news here that the tram wıll be more frequent wıth a servıce every 6 mıns rather than every 12. Apparantly when thıs actıve traffıc mgt system ıs lınked ın wıth the exıstıng network. Should be done by Dec thıs year accordıng to travel shop. I know ıts not untıl 2016 but the aırport lıne wıll be every 12 mıns 24 hours a day to Chorlton and St W's - surely that wıll be a good thıng for Chorlton?

Excellent news!
The Map is not the Territory.

User avatar
Mr Squirrel
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:49 pm
Location: Beech Road

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Mr Squirrel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 am

annie wrote:The airport link has got to be the most sensible link ever ... A reliable, fast service ...


Have you seen the route? If you get on at Chorlton, you will stop at:
    St Werburghs Rd,
    Barlow Moor Road,
    Sale Water Park,
    Northern Moor,
    Wythenshawe Park,
    Moor Road,
    Baguley,
    Roundthorn,
    Haveley,
    Benchill,
    Crossacres,
    Wythenshawe Town Centre,
    Robinswood Road,
    Peel Hall,
    Shadowmoss,
    and then finally Manchester Airport.

Most of these stages are along roads so the trams will have to stop at traffic lights like in the city centre. If you allow an average of 4 minutes for each stop (including travel and waiting at the platform) then it will take an hour to get to the airport from Chorlton. Taxi takes about 10-15 minutes.

Fast service?
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

Pearl
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 pm

Re: Chorlton Tram

Postby Pearl » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Oh. I see what you mean Mr Squirrel, although I guess there's a financial advantage over taxis, especially for people with passes. You used to be able to get the 84 bus from the airport to Chorlton on a very wriggly route - again price versus speed, and stamina required.

I suppose it might be handy for people who work shifts at the airport, or who would if they could get there. And if you live near one of the Wythenshawe stops and work in town I imagine it will be far faster than the bus, though again probably a lot dearer.

Do you know if the airport is contributing towards the cost?


Return to “Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests