Traffic

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
freeguitarlesson

Traffic

Postby freeguitarlesson » Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 am

Does anyone else drive to work heading towards Didsbury on Barlow Moor Road?

Been heading this way on and off for about three years now and never had any problems, but over the past three weeks or so there have been long tail backs right through Chorlton that appear to be originating at the cross roads of Mauldeth Road and Barlow Moor.

Can anyone shed any light?
"Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead..."

Badgerr

Re: Traffic

Postby Badgerr » Tue May 17, 2011 8:25 am

I know there's a lot of roadworks up between Clyde Road and Palatine Road towards Didsbury, and there is also a lot of work on Hardy Lane regarding the Metrolink extension. There's also a lane out on Nell Lane at Mauldeth Road jct, with the traffic lights set for alternate red/green for each direction crossing Mauldeth Road (doubling the wait time at this jct). Not to mention the weather, which, when combined with roadworks makes journeys three times longer because a little bit of rain makes people drive excessively slowly. And as motorway slow-downs show best, all it takes is one person on a crowded road putting on the brakes, then 30 cars behind the slowdown has cumulatively increased, ending up with standing traffic for no other reason than slow people. I hate driving at rush hour.

freeguitarlesson

Postby freeguitarlesson » Tue May 17, 2011 8:32 am

That was a plenty of light, cheers.

Driving to work during the school holidays is a simple pleasure that affords an extra 15 minute in bed. Make the little bastards walk I say! When I were a lad etc...

yoss

Postby yoss » Tue May 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Try Nell lane instead. They have closed one of the 3 lanes on Barlow Moor Road at the Mauldeth Rd junction, that that is enough to back the traffic up all the way to Edge Lane at rush hour.

Badgerr

Postby Badgerr » Tue May 17, 2011 1:05 pm

yoss wrote:Try Nell lane instead. They have closed one of the 3 lanes on Barlow Moor Road at the Mauldeth Rd junction, that that is enough to back the traffic up all the way to Edge Lane at rush hour.

As I mentioned, Nell lane has similar works at Mauldeth Road, although I am not sure how long this will be going on for. However, when I tried to cross that junction travelling down Nell Lane, the traffic was backed up all the way to Sandy lane on the Chorlton Park side, and all the way back to the second Arrowfield Road junction on the other side.

DanielCaddenTog

Postby DanielCaddenTog » Tue May 17, 2011 6:21 pm

How far are you lot travelling?
Personally I try and avoid driving anywhere around there during rush hour and school start/end times.

StePee

Postby StePee » Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Re: School traffic; is anywhere around here far enough away from a school to be beyond walking distance?
If it was compulsory to attend the nearest school to your house, (and therefore be able to walk it) would that reduce traffic?

freeguitarlesson

Postby freeguitarlesson » Wed May 18, 2011 10:49 am

I travel all over Manchester for NHS work. Varies on a day to day basis but most trips take me down Mauldeth Rd.

I'm not sure where people are bringing kids from but out of curiosity (and geeky boredom) I timed my journey to Levenshulme on a Thursday in the Easter holidays and the Thursday straight after. No change in road works whatsoever, both days were very warm and clear skied (memories!). The journey during the holidays was 14 minutes, in term time it was 22 minutes.

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:12 pm

can't see that this had been mention - but isn't it the start of the metro across the mersey along hardy lane, if it is could be months

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Wed May 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Months? More like forever! Trams crossing will screw it all up. Couple that with cars parking all over the shop. We're doomed.

db1

Postby db1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Traffic is bad in chorlton but when I travel to my london office I always look forward to getting back home to chorlton because the traffic is really bad in most of london

otherman

Postby otherman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:45 pm

If you're just doing Chorlton to Didsbury, how about trying a moped, or honda anf125?

Badgerr

Postby Badgerr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:44 am

In related news, they've now completely closed Nell Lane at the junction of Mauldeth Road. There goes my shortcut for the forseeable future.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm

If I leave for work after 8am, I loop through Stretford to get to the M56. Seems quicker.

annie

Postby annie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:04 pm

otherman wrote:If you're just doing Chorlton to Didsbury, how about trying a moped, or honda anf125?

Giving them away free then are they?
:mrgreen:
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Return to “Discussions”