Punch & Judy

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
john d

Punch & Judy

Postby john d » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:44 am

Dear Paula Pickle,
I have just got back from holiday in Newquay. I saw your comments in the Bag Man thread about your father who you have lost touch with, whose name was Obadiah Pickle.
There was a Punch & Judy show on the sands at Watergate Bay, last week and the name on it was Prof. Obadiah Pickle. Could there be any connection?

Paula Pickle

Postby Paula Pickle » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:55 am

That is amazing! It could be my Dad. When we were young he used to make us swazzles so we could talk like Punch. Did you see him, John? He is quite distinctive?

john d

Postby john d » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:11 pm

No, I didn't see him - well just his hands and they were covered up! Guess that's what is best for a P&J Man. However I did see his assistant who was passing the hat round. Well you couldn't miss her. She had bright red hair and a huge chest. Well worth the 50p. I had a pound's-worth.

Paula Pickle

Postby Paula Pickle » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:35 pm

Oh my God! It sounds as if my father has run off with his chiropodist, whose name is Petal Smith. After my Mum died he always fancied Petal and she was just as you describe. I think he once asked her to marry him but she said she wouldn't because of her change of name. Did you notice anything strange about her face?

john d

Postby john d » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:34 am

I think we must stop this chat Paula. I think the good people of Chorlton and Mr Admin do not like this sort of discussion - it's not about Chorlton, Beech Bloomin' Road, supermarkets or the price of property etc.
I would just say that the red headed chiropodist sadly had a pronounced squint in both eyes - if that helps. I wonder if she ever made it to become Mrs Petal Pickle? :twisted:

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:44 am

john d wrote:I think the good people of Chorlton and Mr Admin do not like this sort of discussion - it's not about Chorlton, Beech Bloomin' Road, supermarkets or the price of property etc.

Why on earth do you think that, John D? Personally I'm enthralled! Non-chorlton discussions only become an issue if they're offensive...now I'm not defending P'nJ shows, but I do like the tone of your exchanges.
mark

Louise

Postby Louise » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:57 am

Yes well, its about an erstwhile Chorlton family and wouldnt it be wonderful if we could reunite Paula with Mr Obadiah Pickle and his Petal? Perhaps even get her into Cadmans for an eye test.

Incidentally I have a cat called Pickle.

Paula Pickle

Postby Paula Pickle » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:43 pm

Wow! Quite a result. Looks as if I might have a new stepmother and free toe nail clipping for life. If any of you guys are going to Cornwall this Summer, look out for "Pickle's Punch and Judy Show"and if you see him tell him to contact me via Chorlton Web. Also maybe other Punch and Judy men who read this??? may know of Prof Obadiah Pickle.

Mr Admin. What's this prejudice to P&J? Please tell me you are not worried about Mr. Punch whacking Judy or their dog. It's only make believe, like Dr. Who. and I dont think the puppeteer hurts himself.

Paula

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:41 pm

If you want to keep a close eye on him there is rather a good webcam doing live streaming from NewQuay Harbour. I have been watching but I havnt seen him yet.

Its under BBC webcams on the Cornwall page if anyone else wants a look. Its very entertaining

sultryevening

Postby sultryevening » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:06 am

i AM YOUR FATHER......................

Paula Pickle

Re: Punch & Judy

Postby Paula Pickle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:18 pm

I know that this is a very old thread, but you may all be interested to know that my father was located in Cornwall and did his Punch and Judy Show for a few seasons on the beaches of Newquay and Padstow. Sadly the whole thing got too much for his arms and after his "tent" was washed away one lunchtime (vandals), he gave it up. However he has now bounced back and is working on a fairground around the Devon and Cornwall Area. It is a wall-of-death spectacular and will start up again in May. Please look out for him if you are on holiday. "Sir O. Pickle's Ride of Death"

Thank you

john d

Postby john d » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:10 pm

HI Pete, I had forgotton all about the Punch and Judy Man, till I saw this . This young lady Paula has quite a history. I seem to remember some of her previous threads where she had problems camping under a bridge in St Werburghs Road. I remembered the Punch and Judy man as she had talked about him in previous threads. (Worth a look)

I also remember that there was a Wall Of death Motor-bike show at the Fair at Stretford Pageant, when I was a boy in the 1950's. They ride round and round in a vertical drum ( and have to keep moving otherwise they fall off). Must be mad.

HI Paula, I remember you used to have a jokes thread. Any new ones?

John D

john d

Postby john d » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:58 am

Paula,
Is it snowing up there

Paula Pickle

Postby Paula Pickle » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:07 pm

To Pete and John,
No I dont live near Bouth. I live in Elterwater Village in the Greater Langdale Valley and work at the local timeshare hotel.
Yes, I saw my father 6 months ago but Devon is a long way away.
I can tell you that he is still with Petal and she is part of the act. I am sure this is not interesting to c-c-h bloggers. Sorry.

Return to “Discussions”