Roofing Recommendations?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Richard_H

Roofing Recommendations?

Postby Richard_H » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:36 pm

A couple of tiles have come loose from my roof. There doesn't appear to be any water coming in yet, but obviously I want to get them replaced ASAP along with having a nosey around about the general state of my roof as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for who someone reliable who could do this?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all advice offered.

massolina

Re: Roofing Recommendations?

Postby massolina » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:39 am

Oh God nightmare trouble with roofers is that for every genuine one there are a ton of cowboys.I found a guy in the Whalley Range and Chorlton community booklet that comes out every few months. He had a half page ad can't remember his name but he was good cheap and honest.

massolina

Postby massolina » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 am

Oh God nightmare trouble with roofers is that for every genuine one there are a ton of cowboys.I found a guy in the Whalley Range and Chorlton community booklet that comes out every few months. He had a half page ad can't remember his name but he was good cheap and honest.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:51 am

I would recommend Mark (07961867988)

He used to work for Grays and is very good & also very local

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:29 pm

A few years ago I had quotes from various roofing companies for some work I needed to have done on the roof of my house.

The difference in price and whether or not they could re-use my existing slate tiles was truly unbelievable that it was shocking.

After having quite a few quotes I went with a company that I have recommended to a few people. The company name is something like A Parkes I think.

However the main guy you need to speak to who will come round and assess what needs to be done is called Frank. I always dealt with him, a lovely down to earth guy that won't rip you off. His number is 07711 711472.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Sarah_B wrote:A few years ago I had quotes from various roofing companies for some work I needed to have done on the roof of my house.

The difference in price and whether or not they could re-use my existing slate tiles was truly unbelievable that it was shocking.

After having quite a few quotes I went with a company that I have recommended to a few people. The company name is something like A Parkes I think.

However the main guy you need to speak to who will come round and assess what needs to be done is called Frank. I always dealt with him, a lovely down to earth guy that won't rip you off. His number is 07711 711472.

The company Frank works for is called A Park Roofing.

I really can't recommend them enough they did an excellent job.

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:54 pm

massolina wrote:Oh God nightmare trouble with roofers is that for every genuine one there are a ton of cowboys.I found a guy in the Whalley Range and Chorlton community booklet that comes out every few months. He had a half page ad can't remember his name but he was good cheap and honest.

Here's a link to past editions of the Community Index booklets:
http://www.communityindex.co.uk/backissues.htm

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:05 pm

Sarah_B wrote:A few years ago I had quotes from various roofing companies for some work I needed to have done on the roof of my house.

Down to earth? Did he fall off ?

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, I shall give one (or possibly both) of them a ring tomorrow.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Just to finish the story off, and to give a plug to a local-ish tradesman (Whitefield), I contacted both of the links above but one was too busy and the other was outside of my budget.

Using ratedpeople.com I was contacted by Paul from P+P Builders (0785 153 5683) who inspected the roof, took photos of all the work that needed doing and gave me a price which came in at pretty much what I was expecting for the job. Price agreed and he came around today to do the work with no spiel at the end about "whilst I was up there I noticed that you also need this doing, and that doing" and so on. Very happy with the result and will definitely be using him again.

I was a little hesitant about using ratedpeople.com at first as they require you to hand over your contact details before you receive the details of the people interested in your job, but it seems to work well enough with no phone-spam received as yet.

Seeing as how 60mph winds are predicted for Sunday night, looks like I've got the job done in the nick of time!

gitface

Postby gitface » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Anyone got any further updates or more recent recommendations? I find myself in the unfortunate position of not needing to turn the taps on to take a shower in my bathroom at the moment.... :cry:

EDIT: Having been up there I think it's (hopefully) only a single cracked tile. Anyone got any guesstimates about the cost?

EDIT 2: Sorry about resurrecting this, but at least that way everything's on one place.

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:20 pm

To replace one cracked tile, i'd say £20 tops - depending on the type of tile. If it's a case of repair with sealant, even less.
My neighbour had 3 or 4 tiles repaired a couple of weeks ago and he paid £30.
Nutsford Vale Roofing did the work i believe.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 pm

£20 would be cheap. £30 to replace 4 tiles is very good (slates would be more). Remember, the roofer has to source the right sized slates/tiles or cut them down, petrol & mileage and don't forgot their time to come and give the quote. I think £30+ for replacement depending on the type of slate/tile & where it is on the roof & how high the roof is

I wouldn't let anyone use (silicone) sealant on your roof as it won't last and is a false economy. You can't really repair tiles, but you can cover them with flashband or the like which works OK but often looks pants.

henrypeet

Postby henrypeet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:30 pm

I had a good roofers back in Liverpool

henrypeet

Postby henrypeet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:30 pm

I had a good roofers back in Liverpool

Return to “Discussions”