Citybranch has sold the precinct

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Reeves

Citybranch has sold the precinct

Postby Reeves » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 am

Badgerr

Re: Citybranch has sold the precinct

Postby Badgerr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 am

"Manchester is a key market for us and the Chorlton Cross Shopping centre is well located within a wealthy suburb which is currently undersupplied with respect to its local retail offer."

So, we're probably going to get a Selfridges and a Waitrose.

*(emphasis mine)

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:59 am

When did shops become retail offer? Is this the most irritating piece of modern jargon or what?

digger

Postby digger » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 am

At this moment in time it has the potential to be, moving forward.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

skywalker

Postby skywalker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:19 pm

i was going to post on here the other day actually... i had heard that it was going to be demolished for an asda or M&S. several times ofer the last couple of years.
this is actually sh*t. they are ruining manchester! building by building :evil:
friendly local alarm engineer.
cctv, burglar alarms, intercom systems, and more!

Badgerr

Postby Badgerr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:16 pm

In my opinion, the precinct is a bit scummy. It's dated and grey and could use a decent paint job at the very least. Obviously I don't support a large chain store being shoved in there, I like the variety of local shops, but it's really not a very nice place to go shopping as it is.

freeguitarlesson

Postby freeguitarlesson » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:41 pm

I am particularly enamoured of the mint-green cummerbund that lines the perimeter...
"Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead..."

yoss

Postby yoss » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:58 pm

I've never liked it since the status updates started appearing in a column on the right hand side.

p7r

Postby p7r » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:34 pm

skywalker wrote:i was going to post on here the other day actually... i had heard that it was going to be demolished for an asda or M&S. several times ofer the last couple of years.

Never going to happen. No supermarket can commercially justify a second supermarket so near to the Morrisons and only a short bus ride from a huge Asda in one direction and a huge Tesco in the other, especially given local opposition to another supermarket. The site is also too small and does not fit an M&S store demographically, they just wouldn't be interested in a large store there.

There's a chance that a small M&S food, a small Waitrose (Didsbury village size or smaller), or Booths is possible in the mix alongside other shops. It'll definitely get an overhaul as a property and they'll want some more upmarket tenants in there to increase the yield above that rather (commercial property-wise, at least) measly 8.44%.

None of that precludes a healthy environment for independents at all - they might just need to be more profitable which isn't the worst thing. Quality Save, the charity shop and the Pound Bakery might struggle to keep going there, but they're not independents anyway - and their staff should be able to find new jobs in retail in the stores that replace them.

The people who will likely lose the worst out of this and struggle to find a replacement property in the centre of Chorlton will be the Arts Festival, I suspect.

I'll bet you all a quid each to a charity of your choice that it doesn't all get knocked down and turned into a massive supermarket in the next few years though. They might try for planning permission, but it won't happen quite like that.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:00 pm

p7r.... never say "never" ..... especially where Tesco's are concerned.

I have a personal suspicion that they won't be happy until they have a store on every single shopping street in the UK (and I reckon that if I could break into their CEO's office, I'd be able to find a secret document lying around somewhere to prove it :twisted: ).

skywalker

Postby skywalker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 pm

p7r wrote:
skywalker wrote:i was going to post on here the other day actually... i had heard that it was going to be demolished for an asda or M&S. several times ofer the last couple of years.

Never going to happen. No supermarket can commercially justify a second supermarket so near to the Morrisons and only a short bus ride from a huge Asda in one direction and a huge Tesco in the other, especially given local opposition to another supermarket. The site is also too small and does not fit an M&S store demographically, they just wouldn't be interested in a large store there.

There's a chance that a small M&S food, a small Waitrose (Didsbury village size or smaller), or Booths is possible in the mix alongside other shops. It'll definitely get an overhaul as a property and they'll want some more upmarket tenants in there to increase the yield above that rather (commercial property-wise, at least) measly 8.44%.

None of that precludes a healthy environment for independents at all - they might just need to be more profitable which isn't the worst thing. Quality Save, the charity shop and the Pound Bakery might struggle to keep going there, but they're not independents anyway - and their staff should be able to find new jobs in retail in the stores that replace them.

The people who will likely lose the worst out of this and struggle to find a replacement property in the centre of Chorlton will be the Arts Festival, I suspect.

I'll bet you all a quid each to a charity of your choice that it doesn't all get knocked down and turned into a massive supermarket in the next few years though. They might try for planning permission, but it won't happen quite like that.

ahh right, yeah. a refurbishment would be good. it needs repainting!
i hope quality save will stay.

M&S can feck off in my opinion. tesco's is bad enough.

skywalker

Postby skywalker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Richard_H wrote:I reckon that if I could break into TESCOS CEO's office, I'd be able to find a secret document lying around somewhere to prove it :twisted: ).

challenge accepted :idea:

annie

Postby annie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:52 pm

p7r wrote:None of that precludes a healthy environment for independents at all - they might just need to be more profitable which isn't the worst thing. Quality Save, the charity shop and the Pound Bakery might struggle to keep going there, but they're not independents anyway - and their staff should be able to find new jobs in retail in the stores that replace them.

Now there's a lovely mercenary point of view if I ever heard one. The only GOOD thing about the precinct is the smaller independent shops selling goods at reasonable prices. If they are forced out, where will the less-well-off shop?
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:18 pm

annie wrote: If they are forced out, where will the less-well-off shop?

stretford

p7r

Postby p7r » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 pm

annie wrote:Now there's a lovely mercenary point of view if I ever heard one. The only GOOD thing about the precinct is the smaller independent shops selling goods at reasonable prices. If they are forced out, where will the less-well-off shop?

First off, I said "more profitable", not "more expensive". The two are not the same thing at all and should not be interchanged or confused for each other. Prices can remain identical and profits improve if either costs lower (which won't happen in this case), or volume of sales increase (which I would prefer). You can increase sales volume by being more appealing to customers and better matching their needs/wants. You do not need to raise prices to increase profits, and in fact there are numerous business case studies in improving profitability by lowering prices.

But let's take your warped view of what I wrote, and assume I actually do want more expensive shops (I don't), and that I want poor people to have to travel further to do their shopping (I don't):

Hulme desperately needs more shoppers in its rather lack-lustre "high street" to make that whole project viable, and the cheaper shops struggling in Chorlton would likely do a decent trade if they relocated there. Certainly the less profitable ones might improve their profitability without changing their prices, due to volume. There's then a chance that Hulme itself would become a bit of a bargain-hunters destination of choice which would benefit Hulme, the shoppers, and the shop owners. It would be great if Hulme were able to blossom into something like Levenshulme but for this corner of Manchester making it a bit more accessible on public transport.

There are also a few units around Chorlton Cross that might benefit from a shake-up and new tenants moving out of the precinct. I think there will always be a place for cheaper shops in Chorlton, but is it really viable to have so many charity shops, and do they reflect what the local community really needs? If we are - as the press would have us believe - a group of "shop local", indie-loving, fairtrade buying hipsters, does it not make sense that the retails units we have available to us reflect those tastes?

For example, I'd love to go clothes shopping locally, but as a 33-year old male, my choices are rather *cough* limited *cough*, so have to go into the city centre to do so.

I'd say the centre of Chorlton could easily be improved to meet my needs (and the growing population of 20-30-somethings living locally), so let's move things around: get rid of some of the charity shops and takeaways, move some of the indies out of the precinct into those units where they might get more footfall and profile, and then have more "up-market" indies, multiples and perhaps a couple of national retailers in the precinct, and everybody's happy, right?

I'm not saying I particularly like either option, but it's the pragmatic reality and I'd rather this than a bunch of bland national retailers turning up.

Either way, the one thing I did not say was that poor people should go elsewhere, and I am particularly offended by you implying I have a mercenary attitude and am uncaring about those who are less well-off in society.

Return to “Discussions”