Closing down... opening up

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
annie

Closing down... opening up

Postby annie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Romano on Wilbraham Road seems to finally be calling it a day. This extraordinary "fine goods" store run by a lovely and rather exotic foreign lady is closing down soon. I shopped there a few times. Usually for fragrances.. but it was a little haven of old-fashioned high society in a grimy suburb. I hope it's because she's retiring, and not because business has died...

On the other side of culture, the takeaway next to Sun Sun and Oddest has been extensively revamped, with a bit of decking for outdoor seating to boot. I had a glance through the window and saw the name of the shop... something "... Chicken". Looks like the many other MRM purveyors in Chorlton will have another competitor. You wouldn't imagine that such a small place could support another sh1t chicken shop. Ah well.

Also noticed that Wild at Heart had become something else too. I don't do West Point much though so didn't pay attention.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Pearl

Re: Closing down... opening up

Postby Pearl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Select Seconds in the Precinct is having a closing down sale too, but I suppose those don't always mean the shop really closes down

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Romano's a staple for Christmas presents. The woman in there's always been really helpful. I went in a couple of weeks ago and noticed they had a doorman, so perhaps they've had a bit of trouble like some of the local bars have. Would be a shame to see it close.

Wild At Heart is now a Morrocan cafe. Always looks quite quiet, but i've read a couple of reviews which have said the food's really nice.

There's already been a thread about the new guise of what was briefly Chopin Bar. Will be interesting to see what happens with that. I assume it's different management to the Iguana chap, given his publicised issues with rates.

Noticed there's both a shisha bar (complete with pool table) and cafe next to Marble where there was previously some sort of 'party shop'. Has anyone tried either yet?

Not sure how long it's been gone, but i've only just realised the furniture/glassware shop on Wilbraham Road, next to the arcade, has gone. May or may not have been called 'A Touch of Glass'.

Only just spotted that the old outdoor/surprlus shop between Johnsons dry cleaners and the two dodgy Wilbraham Road boozers is now an ice cream shop or similar.

Visited the cafe adjoined to the post office for the first time the other day. Not a bad little place. Great brew, nice food. May've been opened a few months now, i'm not sure.

I do wish someone would do something with the former pizza place on the corner (opposite side from Croma). Is the back of it still...<cough>...a gentlemans retreat?

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:53 am

I had no idea such a place existed until on one cold evening about a year ago, I saw a chap in shorts, vest top and flip flops with a towel going into the back of the building. After some digging around I found out the true nature of the establishment.

Reeves

Postby Reeves » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Walking through Chorlton today I also noticed...

Bohos has closed down.

The off-licence next to Chorlton Eatery has opened up again.

Looks like work on the empty shop next to Halifax (was the martial arts shop) is coming along, anybody know what it is going to be?

Up by Morocana (was Wild at Heart) the shop next door is also being fitted out (use to be a tv shop I think).

Its all change in Chorlton isn't it?

digger

Postby digger » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 am

Reeves wrote:Its all change in Chorlton isn't it?

I think you'll find there are a few notes.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

freeguitarlesson

Postby freeguitarlesson » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 am

It's impressive that Boho managed to last as long as it did really. As I remember, it opened up the week that Britain officially went into recession selling trinkets and gift-style stuff in an area that wasn't Beech Road.

Good effort for giving it a 3 year hard slog, I thought.

What odds on it being a curry house? Could use one in that area...
"Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead..."

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Just outside the boundary (don't shoot), the old Simpsons bakery on the row of shops opposite where the old Seymour pub was looks like it's reopening as some sort of cafe.

Hopefully it'll be better than the last incarnation.

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Pearl wrote:Select Seconds in the Precinct is having a closing down sale too, but I suppose those don't always mean the shop really closes down

they are all on short leases in that precinct keep having to renew them so maybe they've though best to get out before pushed - i think you'll find this is going to happen more and more over the coming months in that precinct area - maybe a few old faces will appear in other buildings ?? ;o)

annie

Postby annie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:48 pm

I keep wondering when the building on the corner of Keppel Road is either going to fall down or be repaired. Surely they can't just leave it like that?

The shop decided to change their windows and in doing so bodged it. The whole corner of the building suddenly dropped about 6 inches and is being held up with steel props inside, and a scaffolding support outside - the residents were evacuated and it has been empty since - massive cracks on the outside)

Go inside A & S and have a look at the crumpled support pillars - DIY SOS required I think.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

steved

Postby steved » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Personally I'd count it a blessing if the building did crumble taking the booze shop with it. I entirely agree it should be sorted out - not only an eye sore but it obstructs pedestrians, though they may own the land - the scaffolding along with all the catering bins full of chicken bits adjacent it's repelling to say the least!

annie

Postby annie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:29 pm

They don't own the land. A & S rent the shop from the building's owners. I expect that there's some kind of legal thing going on.

steved

Postby steved » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:33 pm

I don't give a monkeys flea bitten testicle who owns it as long as it gets sorted.

Phila

Postby Phila » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Like this?
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (44.67 KiB) Viewed 16163 times

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Go inside A & S and have a look at the crumpled support pillars - DIY SOS required I think.

Please don't encourage Skywalker to go inside any more derelict buildings Annie! Crumpled support pillars! Eek!

Return to “Discussions”