Closing down... opening up

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
ash pole

Re: Closing down... opening up

Postby ash pole » Wed May 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Chorltonweb discussion forum.

RIP.

:cry:

Phila

Postby Phila » Wed May 27, 2015 8:20 pm

It does appear that way. What has happened?

annie

Postby annie » Thu May 28, 2015 1:57 am

Bloody Facebook group. Where you all have to have a 'real name' (except for Mike Lever's mates who have pseudonyms)... where Mike Lever controls who can and can't be a member... where no-one fvcking swears, and where Chorltonian hipster banter seems to be the rule of the day (along with being the local Exchange and Mart it seems)

I know which I prefer...
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Sun May 31, 2015 5:00 pm

Not need for this forum to shut down - all people need to do is keep using it (and the site owner to keep on kindly funding it too, obviously - many thanks for doing so over the years).

Personally, I've never had a problem with the Facebook group - stay away from the more inane comments and it's fine - and it's a quick and easy way to get rid of no longer needed household items too.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Has some work started on Blockbuster, or is it just damaged windows being boarded up?

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 am

blenkinsop wrote:Has some work started on Blockbuster, or is it just damaged windows being boarded up?

There's a sign on the fencing: "Demolition by ......"
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:05 am

munchkin wrote:I went past Tandoori Flame this morning and it looks like it might have closed too as there was a load of rubble outside - does anyone know ?

new banner says 'desi bar and grill'

doesn't appear open but whoever was inside was playing music loud enough to be a nuisance upstairs in yoga last night. this does not bode well.

Phila

Postby Phila » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:39 pm

Sitting outside now. Thank the lord it is still run by Suki. Some new menu items. It's a relief as I've been away and have missed them. The other ½ was convinced she'd never have her favourite pea & cabbage curry again.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:28 am

Excellent news. Love this place.

Phila

Postby Phila » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:56 am

Mr Squirrel wrote:
blenkinsop wrote:Has some work started on Blockbuster, or is it just damaged windows being boarded up?

There's a sign on the fencing: "Demolition by ......"

It certainly looked that way this morning.

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:42 pm

"tutku cafe", next door to jp brimelow, is "opening soon" according to the sign outside

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Is Tutku where one of those cheap hardware shops used to be? We have quite a lot of those, but then I suppose we have quite a lot of restaurants too.

In other news, I think Pad is finally under new ownership now, and I also think I saw a Closing Down Sale sign at the junk shop near the bus station which seems a pity. Very nice guy running it.

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:22 pm

right, tutku used to be i think 'chorlton discount stores'

is that the junk shop below the yoga rooms? i was down there last night and noticed a fair amount of packing-up going on.

bit of a wasteland up by pad at the moment, what with wowie zowie, crema and the units the other side of font (though lots of building work going on there). having said that, two saturdays ago there was a gazebo outside punk n disorderly with some bands on. when i went by there were a bunch of 14yo kids kicking out a right old racket. in a good way, i hasten to add. i wish i could have played guitar that well when i was that age...

andy_landy

Postby andy_landy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Pearl wrote:I also think I saw a Closing Down Sale sign at the junk shop near the bus station which seems a pity. Very nice guy running it.

appears to be "south manchester heating ltd" now. through the shutters it looked like a showroom of woodburning stoves, sorta thing.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:25 am

. . . And the nice guy from the junk shop is still running market stalls of interesting old books so maybe things are not so bad.

At the other end of town, Archie and Mary's seem to have taken over Crema after a kind of no-show from a pizza company, and the vegetarian deli is going to expand its coffee and cakes / tables and chairs area, so that all sounds good to me too.

Return to “Discussions”