Closing down... opening up

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Badgerr

Re: Closing down... opening up

Postby Badgerr » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:16 pm

skywalker wrote:i noticed another fking chicken place that isn't open yet next to that garden centre that only seems to be open in December

I believe that garden centre IS only open in December, to sell Christmas trees. The inside of the actual shop is pretty messy. I remember when it was a nice little shop, but I guess they only focus on the Christmas period now. Mind you, the price of their trees and the popularity of the place makes me think that they can fund the maintenance of the premises, even closed, for the full year; some of those trees were like £120 a pop.

skywalker

Postby skywalker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:40 pm

its really messy!

i have seen them open a couple of times. i think they are a sort of
"shall we open the shop today darling?"
"no"
"okay"
type of couple (it seems to be a couple who run it)
friendly local alarm engineer.
cctv, burglar alarms, intercom systems, and more!

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Yes I've seen it open at other times too.
Wasn't there some issue about them not having the correct Planning permission a couple of years ago?
Maybe that's why they don't open regularly - playing dodge the Planning dept :lol:

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:47 pm

Fungus Mungus wrote:Also noticed that the new restaurant on corner of Brantingham road where Princess of Hearts used to be all lit up and looking ready to go - looked smart and modern inside - if the food's good i reckon it could do well.

Anyone heard anything more about this? I just drove past and the shutters were up again and tables set with glasses, napkins etc.

Cream

Postby Cream » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 am

Stevieboy wrote:
Fungus Mungus wrote:Also noticed that the new restaurant on corner of Brantingham road where Princess of Hearts used to be all lit up and looking ready to go - looked smart and modern inside - if the food's good i reckon it could do well.

Anyone heard anything more about this? I just drove past and the shutters were up again and tables set with glasses, napkins etc.

More activity yesterday. I was passing as two blokes from a sign company were up ladders doing some joinery in preparation for a sign to be put up. I asked one of them when it was going to open and he said he thought next week sometime. I then asked what it was going to be called he said he didn't know........ :mrgreen:

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Yes I saw them as well yesterday. I didn't get a chance to ask anyone though. Nice one!
Possibly curry next weekend for me then 8)

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 am

So there is a new Estate Agents in Chorlton I see - Ryan Baker - in what used to be the Martial Arts shop.

firenze

Postby firenze » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Ahhhh
So there is a new Estate Agents in Chorlton I see - Ryan Baker - in what used to be the Martial Arts shop.
so thats what that is, I went past it the other day and didn't get chance to have a proper look, it looked like an expensive computer parts shop, but that was probably just my eyesight!
I'm a happy camper

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:48 pm

it doesn't really look like an estate agent, there are no properties in the window. i think it looks more like a hairdressers

i noticed today as well that the old hairdressers (the ones who moved to the HT Burt shop) now has a sign saying Choclatier..

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Anyone know when the Iguana is going to reopen? No sign of refurbishment as yet:

http://www.facebook.com/iguanabarmanchester

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 pm

munchkin wrote:it doesn't really look like an estate agent, there are no properties in the window. i think it looks more like a hairdressers

i noticed today as well that the old hairdressers (the ones who moved to the HT Burt shop) now has a sign saying Choclatier..

Lots of white bucket chairs and LED TVs. According to the website they only have 3 properties for sale so far
http://ryan-baker.com/sales

As for the hairdressers, I went past a couple of times last week and the shutters were down. However they were up again on Friday (or was it Saturday)....

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:27 pm

munchkin wrote:it's for sale

Thanks Munchkin. Well that's disappointing. I liked the Iguana, and that row of shops is looking rather bleak now unless you're in the market for a large blue plastic barrel.

Phila

Postby Phila » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Large blue plastic barrel you say? Where?

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:07 am

The Iguana was fine for years, but sadly, better bars opened locally and it failed to keep up with them. People want comfortable surroundings and good ale, and in the end it provided neither.

I hope it reopens, but i suspect they'll have to make changes to keep up with the competition. I'm just not sure people want cocktail bars and bright lighting nowadays, not the regulars who'll keep a pub or bar going, anyway.

If you look at the better pubs in Chorlton, even the City centre, they all do a great job of getting the basics right.

Return to “Discussions”