BUS TO THE AIRPORT?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
alovelyhorse

BUS TO THE AIRPORT?

Postby alovelyhorse » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi does anyone know the best way to get to the airport from chorlton whalley range area??
i got the 105 from princess parkway but it goes through every estate on the way to the airport and i nearly missed my flight it took so long.

im assuming there is a more direct bus?? any help appreciated or link to a bus timetable

Pearl

Re: BUS TO THE AIRPORT?

Postby Pearl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:31 pm

I don't think there's a direct bus any more. You might be able to pick the 44 up somewhere en route but I think that's a bit long winded too. Transport for Manchester website has bus information - http://www.tfgm.com/buses. Or you could ring them up I guess

Might be quicker to get the train from Oxford Road, depending on the time of day, though it's a bit of a roundabout route.

Edwinacurry

Postby Edwinacurry » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:58 pm

There is no public transport from Chorlton to the airport, it's mad. if you do a journey plan on the tfgm (used to be gmpte) site it directs you to Oxford road to pick up the airport trains, as previously mentioned. try and get a lift! Sometimes I even drive as a cheap parking deal can be cheaper than 2 cabs!

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Edwinacurry wrote:Sometimes I even drive as a cheap parking deal can be cheaper than 2 cabs!

I did this last month, was away for 10 days and booked carparking well in advance, got it for £26. Manchester's good value. The same at Heathrow would cost over £100.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:02 pm

I think you can get the 22 or 23 to near the parkway from the four banks, then the 105. Not 100%, though.

The GMPTE website says there are National Express coaches from the cemetery, but i've never used them.

I'd probably save hassle/my legs and get a taxi. £12ish normally.

Rob

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:00 pm

still_ill wrote:I think you can get the 22 or 23 to near the parkway from the four banks, then the 105. Not 100%, though.

The GMPTE website says there are National Express coaches from the cemetery, but i've never used them.

I'd probably save hassle/my legs and get a taxi. £12ish normally.

I've done it several times recently, but to be honest you're best using the TravelLine website as the best route will vary according to time of day:-

1) Metrolink to Deansgate, then train

2) 23 to East Didsbury, then train

3) catch National Express from Princess Parkway (perhaps the most risky - the one time I did this I nearly had to throw myself in front of the coach to get it to stop, in spite of having booked from that stop)

Generally do-able in under an hour.

acres lad

Postby acres lad » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 pm

For God's sake, save yourself the hassle and call a cab, treat yourself, you're on holiday!

digger

Postby digger » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 am

Yes I'd have to put myself firmly in the "get a cab" camp too. In our experience it's between £12-15 depending on the time of day/level of traffic, so even if you'd booked your car park well in advance it's a toss-up whether you'd save any/much money, and the cab is a much more relaxing experience generally. Even though they're a little more expensive I always book a black cab (Mantax) for the outward journey because they're comfortable and reliable, and naturally there are always tons of black cabs in the rank for your return journey.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Airportcarz are the best IMO. You can book online and get a 10% discount for doing so.
Last time i used them, the fare from M21 was around £12 (single). The price they quote you is fixed so no chance of it going up if traffic is bad or if it's the middle of the night etc.
Ultra reliable, always turn up a good 10 mins before your pickup time.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:06 pm

+1 for airportcarz. Use them all the time. We took 6 people to the airport... still just 15 quid

annie

Postby annie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Last year I made the folly of taking the 105 to the airport... all the way through Wythenshawe... took ages, and then dumped me at the airport bus terminal. Nowhere near the terminal I needed. Never again.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

BeechBum

Postby BeechBum » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 pm

Edwinacurry wrote:There is no public transport from Chorlton to the airport, it's mad. if you do a journey plan on the tfgm (used to be gmpte) site it directs you to Oxford road to pick up the airport trains, as previously mentioned. try and get a lift! Sometimes I even drive as a cheap parking deal can be cheaper than 2 cabs!

How about this one.

Depending one how long you are aware and/or how brave you are.

Drive to Maudleth Road, Burnage or East Didsbury and park for free on the surrounding streets and get a train from there.

It's cheap and not that much hassle, especially if you are only going away for a short weekend.

belperfury

Postby belperfury » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 am

i agree with http://www.airportcarz.com

pre-pay online and it takes all the hassle out of getting to/from the airport. you don't even need to worry about having enough cash on you either - i always find this essential on my return journey...

Return to “Discussions”