Annoying disruption -metro link expansion

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Edwinacurry

Annoying disruption -metro link expansion

Postby Edwinacurry » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:43 pm

Is anyone else annoyed by the disruption near Jacksons boat (that pub on a muddy path where muddy boots are barred...) ? The path has been blocked altogether and I understand this will be for a year at least!

skywalker

Re: Annoying disruption -metro link expansion

Postby skywalker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:37 am

yeah its a pain but go up the road of jacksons boat to the motorway and buy something from the burger van. they're really nice. i went to buy a burger right but didn't have any money (must of fallen out my pocket) and he said no worries and cooked me one for free anyway. and it was really nice. you will have to pay like but its worth it id you/re down there. it'll probably be there till the met is done so no rsuh :)
friendly local alarm engineer.
cctv, burglar alarms, intercom systems, and more!

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Yes it's a damned nuisance. Hope they're just doing one side at a time though.

fiz67

Postby fiz67 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:03 pm

had a walk up there saturday along the mersey on the way to the marina and was quite astonished by the distruction for the metro link - and the people with homes backing onto that were so up in arms last year about some flood lights - with the trams eventually running early mornings and late at night i think flood lighta are the last of their worrys

skywalker

Postby skywalker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:12 pm

fiz67 wrote:had a walk up there saturday along the mersey on the way to the marina and was quite astonished by the distruction for the metro link

it will grow back in time hopefully :) look at the one at sale. that's not too bad but must of been the same as ours when they were building it.

richardfrosty

Postby richardfrosty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:51 pm

Yeah, it's a pain. But personally I think it'll all be worth it when we finally get a decent public transport route over to East Didsbury & Manchester Airport.

Let's not forget the Metrolink extension to Chorlton was pretty disruptive too - I wouldn't swap that 15-minute journey time into town for anything now though.

I stand by what I said when that line opened...

Chorlton Metrolink is amazing

8)
Check out my website: Richard Frost - Chorlton
Follow me on Twitter: Richard Frost - Twitter
Add me on LinkedIn: Richard Frost - LinkedIn

digger

Postby digger » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 am

Having been driving over the bridge on Princess Parkway every morning and evening since Methuselah was a boy, and watching the progress on the Didsbury spur (platforms all in place now, and they put the shelters up recently, so it can only be a matter of time before the glass is broken), it occurred to Mrs Digger yesterday that the designers have shown either a woeful lack of foresight, or a somewhat less than fulsome agreement with the potential success/popularity of the project.

There is only a single line.

Which means folk waiting at the Princess Parkway stop to travel into the city will have to stand and watch the single tram pass them on its way to Didsbury, turn around and come back before they can board.

If this mode of transport proves popular, and the number of passengers increases year on year (as it surely will), then eventually they'll need more capacity. The current infrastructure can't support two trains travelling in different directions at the same time, so it's fundamentally limited in its expansion possibilities. I'm guessing this is a budgetary thing, but it'll bite somebody on the bum eventually.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Paula Pickle

Postby Paula Pickle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:44 am

Mrs Digger misunderstands. The line is only single track because the trams only go one way, from Chorlton to Disdbury. They stay there, though there are plans to continue the line on towards the south. At this time nobody knows where to. At this stage the rolling stock will then be released.

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:05 am

Paula Pickle wrote:Mrs Digger misunderstands. The line is only single track because the trams only go one way, from Chorlton to Disdbury. They stay there, though there are plans to continue the line on towards the south. At this time nobody knows where to. At this stage the rolling stock will then be released.

Confused - you mean you won't be able to get the tram back from Dids to Chorlton?
That can't be right - can it?

Louise

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 am

After the tram leaves Didsbury they head for Galactic Central Point. If you get on a tram and you smell a foul stench of sulphur it might mean that the tram has re entered the Earth's atmosphere at the planet's lowest and bleakest point {somewhere near Dane Rd in Sale) or the tramp sitting behind you has cacked his pants.

p7r

Postby p7r » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:06 am

Actually almost believed this story for a few minutes:

http://newsmanc.co.uk/2012/02/09/news-metrolink-has-been-giant-social-experiment-admit-transport-for-greater-manchester/

Last night was a real giggle. Missus at Sale got told "due to an earlier vehicular breakdown" that trams were running late. At Chorlton, I just stood in the freezing drizzle for 30 minutes whilst the "departure board" mocked us.

I can't help but feel London has us licked on mass transit. If a tube stops at a station for more than 90 seconds, the drivers are on the tannoy apologising and providing updates. Here, we're just left to figure out that we're probably going to be 20-40 minutes late. Again.

Should be even more fun when there are even more unreliable trams on an even bigger network...

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 am

I submitted a polite suggestion through the metrolink website that they might like to add "and Chorlton" to the city centre platforms that currently say "trams to Altrincham and Eccles". (I feel I could usefully perform a full-time role sitting on the bench at Shude Hill helping confused passengers)

The polite reply said there was no need to change the signs as they would be getting some functioning electronic destination boards eventually . . .

yoss

Postby yoss » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 am

Excellent link there p7r.

skywalker

Postby skywalker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 pm

thanks for that link p7r. that site is now bookmarked :D

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Is the path along the Mersey blocked on both sides now? There's a lot of fencing and stuff on the opposite side from the pub. Wasn't close enough to tell if there was a way through it.

Return to “Discussions”