Street Names??

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
pip noo

Street Names??

Postby pip noo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:47 am

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but since I'm new to the area can anyone tell me why all the roads around Chorlton Green have two differing name signs?
When did this system come into play?

ash pole

Re: Street Names??

Postby ash pole » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:20 pm

I don't know when it was done but it was because the post office didn't like too many roads having the same name.

FYI, there aren't any streets in Chorlton.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:17 pm

I wish the post office had gone a bit further in eradicating local duplicates. There's a road in Urmston with the same name as mine and it has caused masses of wrongly delivered post and worse problems over the years, including a county court judgment at my address that is nothing to do with me, although this is apparently not so serious these days.

For whole streets of new housing incidentally, the developers get to choose a name and submit it to the Council, who then check with the post office for duplication. The housing associations who built the first new houses when parts of Hulme was rebuilt involved the future tenants in this process, which is why some of the street names there are a bit less bland than many of those chosen by commercial housebuilders.

Speaking of which, McCarthy and Stone are starting to advertise their (as-yet-unbuilt) block of sheltered flats at the site of Cosgrove Hall. Suggest we lobby them to call it Cosgrove Hall and not Oaklands or Pleasant Acres or something. Some of us might want to live in such a handy location in a decade or two.

Grittykit

Postby Grittykit » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Think they are changing the name of one of the Manchester Roads... the one near High Lane... can't remember what the new sign said, it was something very austere tho!
Two roads diverged in a wood and I ... took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference

firenze

Postby firenze » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:31 pm

I live on Kings Rd in Chorlton, and when I rang up to change the council tax when we moved I spoke to the woman on the other end of the phone who said it was fine. Ten minutes she rang me back to say I had to ring trafford council as I lived in Trafford! I tried to tell her no it's in Chorlton and Whalley Range is the end of my road but she wasn't having it!
I'm a happy camper

skywalker

Postby skywalker » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Pearl wrote:Speaking of which, McCarthy and Stone are starting to advertise their (as-yet-unbuilt) block of sheltered flats at the site of Cosgrove Hall. Suggest we lobby them to call it Cosgrove Hall and not Oaklands or Pleasant Acres or something. Some of us might want to live in such a handy location in a decade or two.

i agree. it should have 'cosgrove' somewhere in its name.
friendly local alarm engineer.
cctv, burglar alarms, intercom systems, and more!

pip noo

Postby pip noo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:41 pm

The duplicates explanation makes perfect sense - thankyou... One thing that puzzles me though, is why Chorlton was on the receiving end of this reassignment and not the neighbouring duplicates - we do seem to have two road signs on virtually every road.

digger

Postby digger » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:03 am

skywalker wrote:
Pearl wrote:Speaking of which, McCarthy and Stone are starting to advertise their (as-yet-unbuilt) block of sheltered flats at the site of Cosgrove Hall. Suggest we lobby them to call it Cosgrove Hall and not Oaklands or Pleasant Acres or something. Some of us might want to live in such a handy location in a decade or two.

i agree. it should have 'cosgrove' somewhere in its name.

They could just call it Cos Grove.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Grittykit

Postby Grittykit » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am

pip noo wrote:- we do seem to have two road signs on virtually every road.

do we?? I know of some along Beech Road and Ivy Green... not many tho
Two roads diverged in a wood and I ... took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference

Louise

Postby Louise » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:17 am

Zetland Rd was Holland Rd. Corkland Rd was Cavendish Rd. God knows where they got Corkland from. Brantingham Rd had another name but I cant remember it. Manchester Rd was all one road until they knocked down the middle length of houses and built the precinct, effectively cutting it into two pieces.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:46 am

Manchester Rd was all one road until they knocked down the middle length of houses and built the precinct, effectively cutting it into two pieces.

Now there's a prime candidate for renaming. I'd prefer historical road names to be kept whenever possible, but I feel so sorry for all those confused people I find wandering up and down the main bit of Manchester Road looking for apparently non-existent addresses. I suppose the other option would be not to build shopping precincts on top of nice ordinary roads.

gitface

Postby gitface » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:56 am

My road was changed as well, having spent the first 80 years of its existence as one of about 12 "Lime Grove"s in Greater Manchester. :shock:

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Louise wrote:Brantingham Rd had another name but I cant remember it.

This is interesting. How long ago was this?

Just found this Louise viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1533
Do you know why/when it was renamed? Was it the whole length that was renamed?

Phila

Postby Phila » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:20 pm

I was in Dean Street Soho this moring, and was asked where number 63 was. I was stood by number 51, so said it would be 'that way'. It was then pointed out that the next door property was no. 52. Anyone seen that before where the numbers are adjacent rather than opposite? V odd.

Louise

Postby Louise » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Stevieboy wrote:
Louise wrote:Brantingham Rd had another name but I cant remember it.

This is interesting. How long ago was this?

Just found this Louise http://www.chorlton.co.uk/Talk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1533
Do you know why/when it was renamed? Was it the whole length that was renamed?[/quote

My memory is really suffering. I must give up the drugs.

Stamford Rd started at the junction with Manchester Rd. It only went as far as the railway bridge, until the land on the other side was sold for development and the road was extended. When it was extended and developed the name was changed. This was shortly after the end of WW1.

Return to “Discussions”