Best for Beds?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Richard_H

Best for Beds?

Postby Richard_H » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:30 am

Looking around for a new bed at the moment - I'm after a wooden double one.

I've had a look around the "quality" department stores like M&S and John Lewis but haven't seen anything that really took my fancy. I've heard enough horror stories about Dreams and Bensons to be a bit wary of them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice offered.

digger

Re: Best for Beds?

Postby digger » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:55 pm

I've seen the horror stories on review sites about Bensons but personally I've had nothing but good experiences from them and have been buying beds from them for 30+ years, the most recent being the week before last. Never had a problem with products, delivery or sales people. The bunch in the White City outlet were particularly pleasant and helpful.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Louise

Postby Louise » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Ikea?

Victorian

Postby Victorian » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Someone recommended the place behind Stretford Arndale - Robin Hood Beds? I didn't go but its been there years

otherman

Postby otherman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Robin Hood closed a couple of weeks ago.

Whats up with Chorlton beds on Barlow Moor?

the loz

Postby the loz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Robin Hood beds is in the process of shutting down, we popped in last week and they're just selling off what they have left. We ended up at a place called Meadow Mill, it's in Stockport, in an old mill, the name of the mill escapes me sure if you google it you can find their details.

We ordered a bed and mattress, paid a good price and the service was good. I'd proably back.

Also, take a look at Feather and Black, they're online and they have a shop on Deansgate. Really nice stuff.

Happy shopping

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Someone once told me you have to be careful with Ikea beds as the sizes are non-standard so you have to stick with their mattesses.

FuriousStyles

Postby FuriousStyles » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Another vote for Bensons here. Bought 3 beds from them and had great customer service including after sales when we had a problem with one of the mattresses after about 3 years.

Ikea on the other hand I wouldn't touch - bought a bed from there when we bought our first house and it was poor quality (the bedstead and the mattress).

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:54 am

Richard_H wrote:I've heard enough horror stories about Dreams and Bensons to be a bit wary of them. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I bought a new matress from Dreams a couple of years ago. I got the usual spiel about i can do it at this price but only until the end of today etc. I just nodded and ignored all of that. I compared a couple of other places and price checked on the internet. When i was ready to buy, I went back and told them i could get it cheaper on the web and they under cut the price straight away.
No issues with the delivery, the product still good. Overall a good experience - you just need to ignore the sales BS they come out with.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I popped into Bensons today (before I saw the later coments on the other places, which I shall check out) and saw a couple of beds I liked the look of and felt pretty solid when I gave them a good shake.

As for the horror stories - it's worth bearing in mind that people are more likely to spout off about bad service than praise good service - which is why forums like this where people record their experiences both good and bad when asked are so useful.

Justamo

Postby Justamo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:53 am

Hi, I have just shifted to Australia and I am also looking for the bed but I wana bedspreads which looks good on it. Do you think wooden will be okay?
Sale on bedspread in Australia

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:58 am

ash pole wrote:Someone once told me you have to be careful with Ikea beds as the sizes are non-standard so you have to stick with their mattesses.

That used to be true but their new ranges are in standard UK sizes. I would ask in the store to make sure you get a UK size - the person I spoke to in Ashton Ikea was very helpful.
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

Return to “Discussions”