The price of Christmas trees

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Frank1982

The price of Christmas trees

Postby Frank1982 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi new to this site I will get straight to it does anyone know where I can get a good christmas tree at a good price I went to the shop on wilbraham road he wanted £55 and so did the shop on hardy lane is this a good price seems steep to me. Cheers

Pearl

Re: The price of Christmas trees

Postby Pearl » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:50 pm

Well, here's my annual plug for Hulme Garden Centre. Non-profit, independent, all-round terrific place. They always have some lovely trees, including some cheapish ones. A short bus ride from Chorlton and in my experience the no 86 bus drivers can be very obliging.

If you go on Saturday, they seem to be offering the chance to meet a giant squirrel.

http://www.hulmegardencentre.org.uk

???

Postby ??? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:31 pm

I went to get ours from the Wthenshawe Park Farm last Saturday - only to find they didn't start selling them until Sunday.

Got it from a well know news agents on Beech Road who always sell trees each year. About 7ft tree for £40 including the wooden block stand and delivered to the door.

I keep forgetting about Hulme Garden Centre. Must try there next year.

gitface

Postby gitface » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I love Christmas tree threads. This has all the ingredients to be a Chorltonweb classic. :lol:

For those following the saga, my venerable 6 year old tree died this summer. RIP :cry:

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Why start a new one? Let's crank the old one back up!

Anyone getting theirs from Etchells this year?

Frank1982

Postby Frank1982 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Have I started something sounds like Christmas trees are big news on this site. Think I will try beech rd did you get it delivered for free or did they charge you. I could put it in my car but not sure if it will fit.

Louise

Postby Louise » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 pm

We bought ours from Wilkinsons it was rooted, in a pot. It went outside and grew lovely green shoots and we are ready to bring it back inside for year 2. It was 8 quid, incidentally.

Badgerr

Postby Badgerr » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:08 am

Last year I got one from the grocers next to the Barbakan, it fared well and didn't cover the floor in needles. It was about a metre and a half tall and cost £25 with a stand, I think.

I'm going to check out Ikea on Saturday, as apparently they have them on offer (last weekend and this one) for £25. However that does not include the stand.

If I don't find one in Ikea I'll be going to the grocers again. I took a look at the place on Wilbraham road last year, as it's round the corner from my house, but I didn't want to pay anywhere close to £50 for one.

annie

Postby annie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:11 pm

I haven't had a real tree for years now. I simply can't be bothered with the hassle or the expense.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Louise, I too am preparing to bring my first-ever two-year Christmas tree indoors shortly.

I'm worried though about bringing in bug and insects with it, both in the branches and in the plant pot. Does anyone have any advice?

gitface

Postby gitface » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:26 pm

It was never a problem with my (now sadly deceased) tree. Just dust off the spider webs with a tea towel. And give it plenty of water while it's inside. 8)

digger

Postby digger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:33 pm

A shallow tray of water with small pebbles to prevent drowning, and a supply of chocolate shavings perhaps with a few crumbs of left over Christmas pudding, and the bugs and insects will survive just fine until you take the tree back outside.
Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Louise

Postby Louise » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:20 pm

We already have meal worms under the sink and stick insects in a tank. A few more bugs won't make much difference.

Frank1982

Postby Frank1982 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Just a quick update I finally sorted out my Christmas tree we spent most of sat morning walking round Chorlton looking at Christmas trees I couldn't believe that for a 6ft tree some places wanted £55/£60 .After looking at most places ended up going back to beech road we got a really nice tree £45 and yes they do deliver it for free. Hope everyone else gets sorted

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:42 pm

There is the Kuwala Brothers mini-market (opposite the Sher Akbar curry house) on Manchester Road.

They do free delivery and can't imagine their trees will be all that expensive and the trees I've seen look fairly good.

Only mentioning it in case some people didn't want to pay £45.

Return to “Discussions”