Bar San Juan

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
bacononthebeech

Bar San Juan

Postby bacononthebeech » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:57 am

We always quite liked this place, but the food's much better than on my previous visit, last summer.
If you're interested, review & pics here:
http://www.bacononthebeech.com/2013/01/bar-san-juan-chorlton.html
http://www.bacononthebeech.com/
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

Phila

Re: Bar San Juan

Postby Phila » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 pm

Been tonight for a bite to eat,but yet again thwarted by the selfish tossers who sit there drinking. Not the staff's fault but people need to realise that the idea is that you sit to eat,then stand up when done. If you want to stay,stand or sit on the high stools by the bar. It is becoming a victim of it's own success. Which is a damn shame. Manners cost nothing, and perhaps the slightest awareness of your surroundings would help.
Rant done!

simmy

Postby simmy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:49 am

I really didn't know this was tapas bar etiquette - I've never noticed this being done when I've been to Spain but as I say I just may not have noticed. Behaviour won't change unless people know this is the practice - perhaps you could give the bar owner the feedback that he should be educating his customers to do this? I personally would probably leave at that point and go somewhere else, but at least there'd be tables for people to have a few tapas with their drinks.

Louise

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:42 pm

I didn't know about that rule either. Not everyone can stand up all evening. It would be less than inviting to think that as you munched and swigged your last mouthful you would have to be reaching for your coat and hurrying out past the table-less lynch mob giving you the evil eye in the queue by the front door.

Phila

Postby Phila » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Points taken that maybe it isn't standard etiquette, however, it is what more considerate people tend to do. The place could do with being twice its size IMO. The staff did used to encourage people to vacate their tables when done, sometimes with a free aperitif thrown in. After all, it isn't a restaurant?

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Phila wrote:After all, it isn't a restaurant?

Did you get the words in the wrong order here?

Phila

Postby Phila » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Believe so I don't?

Longford Mackem

Postby Longford Mackem » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:16 pm

I was also in there on Friday and it was hammered. Got in there at about 7:30 ish, I think. Managed to stand at the back near the toilets (in the way of the bar staff sadly), and had a few drinks before we got our table. Waited about 45/50 mins, which we were advised and the food was as good as usual. But I didn't get the impression people were 'holding' tables as such - one big group by the window were there for a while, but why not. As it happens we ate, drank and left. I probably would have stayed if I knew if was getting up peoples noses.

Phila

Postby Phila » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Longford Mackem wrote: As it happens we ate, drank and left. I probably would have stayed if I knew if was getting up peoples noses.

Which is nice.

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:47 am

Isn't tapas bar snacks, not meant to be eaten quite like a proper restaurant meal is? The people who stay sat down probably think they're doing it properly. I dunno. I never choose tapas. Not that I can explain my slight aversion to it.

lister

Postby lister » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 am

Phila wrote:Points taken that maybe it isn't standard etiquette, however, it is what more considerate people tend to do. The place could do with being twice its size IMO. The staff did used to encourage people to vacate their tables when done, sometimes with a free aperitif thrown in. After all, it isn't a restaurant?

Bar San Juan?

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:00 pm

i also cant see phila's point, beyond being miffed that he/she wasn't lucky enough to get a table and had to stand.

in Spain tapas is served on the bar in my experience for the people standing up to graze, so it's hardly some sort of cultural etiquette thing either.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Sorry, I'm with oswaldgold on this one. No tables free? Move on.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Louise

Postby Louise » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Phila wrote:Points taken that maybe it isn't standard etiquette, however, it is what more considerate people tend to do. The place could do with being twice its size IMO. The staff did used to encourage people to vacate their tables when done, sometimes with a free aperitif thrown in. After all, it isn't a restaurant?

I am confused. Why are they offering people an aperitif after they have finished their meal?

Phila

Postby Phila » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Any of you nay sayers actually been there. There is no room at the bar to eat. Louise, point taken, i meant digestif.
I guess i was just annoyed that one of my preferred nonsense eateries is now full of selfish tossers, much like a lot of Beech road is these days.
BTW for those of you referencing Spain, we are talking Manchester, there is not a choice of them, so it isn't like you just pop along to the next.
I've said enough, I'll get me coat. Maybe I should move to Sunderland.

Return to “Discussions”