Horse and Jockey

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Victorian

Horse and Jockey

Postby Victorian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:18 pm

My relatives have booked to go the Horse and Jockey on Mother's Day (about 12 of them) and wondered if anyone had any recent experience of eating there as part of a big group? Recent online reviews have looked fairly scathing but I've always been happy enough when grabbing a quick bite to eat.

I know there have been some recent posts on here about the H&J bit couldn't find them.

Cheers

FurFoxAche

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby FurFoxAche » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 pm

I recently heard they've only got a 1/5 hygiene rating. Not eaten there since Christmas but its always been just okay.

Musicfan

Postby Musicfan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 pm

True - scored just one in an inspection last month, shame http://ratings.food.gov.uk/enhanced-sea ... %5E/1/1/10

Victorian

Postby Victorian » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Bloody hell, even my dirty spam - sorry could get a 2!

Ian9331

Postby Ian9331 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Victorian wrote:My relatives have booked to go the Horse and Jockey on Mother's Day (about 12 of them) and wondered if anyone had any recent experience of eating there as part of a big group? Recent online reviews have looked fairly scathing but I've always been happy enough when grabbing a quick bite to eat.

I know there have been some recent posts on here about the H&J bit couldn't find them.

Cheers

I've not been in the H&J now for a few years. This due to the major change in character of the Pub. I don't think it is a restaraunt or ever will be. It is a pub - or was.

The changes made over the past few years have had a negative reaction. I get this info from forums like this, other internet sites & local people I have known for many years... 30yrs plus.

It used to be my regular pub in the late 70's then again my local pub in the 80's, 90,s and 2000's.

As said, I went in about 4 years ago and did not like the place. It has changed for the worse.

Try somewhere else - plenty of others in Chorlton.

Ian

bacononthebeech

Postby bacononthebeech » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:37 am

It's a real shame, seems like the previous owners ran it into the ground and rumours of bad management and unhappy staff were commonplace.
We're not been for at least a year after a few poor meals and recent bad reviews will not tempt us back in a hurry.
Not sure why anyone goes there these days with so much good competition - Chorlton Green Brasserie, Parlour and The Beagle are all miles better, and now The Beech has it's own food van at the weekends.
It also seems to attract more of the Cheshire type people rather than locals, but it doesn't even do that properly, there are some really good dining pubs in Cheshire, but the food at the H&J as everybody comments on is dire.
http://www.bacononthebeech.com/
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

annie

Postby annie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:43 am

Pros and cons to the H & J prior to current management:

Pros:
Reasonable food and drink...
Plastic glasses for a pint on the green in summer...
No annoying door staff...

Cons:
Students

... and for the new management....

Pros:
Nice outdoor seating area....
Tidy decor.....

Cons:

No more pints on the green....
Constant surveillance outside by bouncers...
Crazy expensive food....

No, I don't go often....
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

bacononthebeech

Postby bacononthebeech » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:41 am

Looks like they're looking for a chef. You never know they may get a good one:
http://www.chorltonlife.com/articles/301/chorlton-job-opportunities.html
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:04 am

It could be a great pub, it has loads of advantages that should make it a great pub. The biggest shame about this is that they do seem to put a lot of effort into certain parts of it e.g. brewery, bonfire night fireworks, etc but fall down on the basics that are so important the rest of the time.

Have holts actually taken it over yet? Has the sale made any difference?

bacononthebeech

Postby bacononthebeech » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:14 am

Holts have taken over, so the previous owners have left, but most of the other staff are from before I think.
So it pretty much remains the same apart from the previous owners who have left to count their huge amounts of money they were paid off.
Yes I agree, the events they've organised have definitely effected the area for the better, and I think inspired other places like The Beech.
But you're right, the basics ie the beer and the food have been sadly left behind.
It did need sorting out though, I remember the old H&J was very poor as well, it could be quite rough and it was a mess, the mens toilets always had an inch of 'water' on the floor.
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:03 pm

the previous owners who have left to count their huge amounts of money they were paid off.

Unless you know(?) don't assume they made a lot of money out of it. They bought a pub which was pretty popular as a going concern in a prime location in a good area - the price would have been quite high as pub estate owners are pretty canny in this respect. They then spent a huge amount of money on it - I'd guess not much change if any from £200K - only to have to sell it at what must be a reasonably low point in the popularity of the pub.

I hope they made something out of it after their efforts, but I think they would have been lucky to break even. It's a risky game the pub business...

bacononthebeech

Postby bacononthebeech » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:21 pm

munchkin wrote:
the previous owners who have left to count their huge amounts of money they were paid off.

Unless you know(?) don't assume they made a lot of money out of it. They bought a pub which was pretty popular as a going concern in a prime location in a good area - the price would have been quite high as pub estate owners are pretty canny in this respect. They then spent a huge amount of money on it - I'd guess not much change if any from £200K - only to have to sell it at what must be a reasonably low point in the popularity of the pub.

I hope they made something out of it after their efforts, but I think they would have been lucky to break even. It's a risky game the pub business...

I seem to remember a quote from Peter Dalton of Hoi Polloi Pub Co saying that an offer was made that he couldn't refuse, but I can't find it. I found this though:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:UCJN17hvj2EJ:www.downing.co.uk/Uploads/docs/901.pdf+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShNUJfo9IvZK4QnhGMOb4XqUUiJKlsAKpmKuhjVIx1CJ5cpiJ7Jtx2m93Lvd0DKZs7cyQhl42tgbsx3-VPhwm7jX53PUaYE3O385sVV44s3Pvh5-3i4uUzlXBRupzJjOrtvsO_C&sig=AHIEtbTDojsqfANZ5eCAQ5EZbjI23iwxNw
I'm not saying making a profit was bad, but I get the impression from what I remember that he wasn't looking to sell, but that Holts made him this large offer, which I would guess would be more than 200k. (I don't know this for sure as I've not got the actual figures, but if the investors got £1.68 per pound presumably this was a good investment?)
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

Musicfan

Postby Musicfan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:19 pm

New chef or not...had worst meal ever on Thursday; a shrivelled and burnt meat platter. Time for the Jockey to sign up for street food :idea:

bacononthebeech

Postby bacononthebeech » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:40 am

Hate the place. Awful food and terrible service. Takes ages to get a drink as they're understaffed.
And why is the beer they brew on the premises not cheaper than the other beer?
Plus the other customers all seem to be from Cheshire.
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:21 am

Hi all, it seems to be a bit hit and miss. My wife and I have only been in Chorlton for a few months but have used the Jockey many times and have generally found it to be decent enough.

I have just sent them an email as we have been there recently on a Saturday evening and the music coming through the stereo was just ridiculously loud. So much so that we couldn't even talk without shouting across the table to each other. Needless to say we won't be going in again when the music is at these kind of levels.

Oh and it was Black Sabbath. Not really fitting for a country style pub :evil:

Return to “Discussions”