Horse and Jockey

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
FurFoxAche
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby FurFoxAche » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:49 am

I've used the Jockey for years and I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.

I've not actually been down to it for the last 4 months. The problems as i see it are.

1) Dogs. Dogs everywhere! I like dogs, but why must they be in there all the time?
2) Prices. I think the prices are extreme for what you get. Someone mentioned the fact you can get local brew for £2.80 in the beagle. Why is it £3.80 or whatever, there? Also, they charge for adding lime and lemonade tops to my other half's pint. You're putting less beer in there, so charge me less for the beer. Its a cheek.
3) Service. I once queued for 40 minutes to get served. Too many people, not enough staff, this has ALWAYS been a problem.
4) Food. Priced like good quality food, tastes average.
5) Chorlton. This is more of a dig at chorlton than at the jockey, but the jockey attracts what i hate most about chorlton. The faux-cheshire set mob. The ones that call their kids "gideon" or "Ceasar" or "luscius". You live in a labour heartland. Your children should be called Malcolm, colin or dave. Its the nobheads who call chorlton "the village". The jockey panders to these prententious tw@ts by making it feel like a country pub when actually its a turd of a boozer rolled in glitter to attract @rseholes.

User avatar
annie
Posts: 4816
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:08 am
Location: Chorlton

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby annie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:00 am

FurFoxAche wrote:5) Chorlton. This is more of a dig at chorlton than at the jockey, but the jockey attracts what i hate most about chorlton. The faux-cheshire set mob. The ones that call their kids "gideon" or "Ceasar" or "luscius". You live in a labour heartland. Your children should be called Malcolm, colin or dave. Its the nobheads who call chorlton "the village". The jockey panders to these prententious tw@ts by making it feel like a country pub when actually its a turd of a boozer rolled in glitter to attract @rseholes.


LOVE that... totally spot on :lol:
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

User avatar
bacononthebeech
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby bacononthebeech » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:37 pm

FurFoxAche wrote:I've used the Jockey for years and I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.

I've not actually been down to it for the last 4 months. The problems as i see it are.

1) Dogs. Dogs everywhere! I like dogs, but why must they be in there all the time?
2) Prices. I think the prices are extreme for what you get. Someone mentioned the fact you can get local brew for £2.80 in the beagle. Why is it £3.80 or whatever, there? Also, they charge for adding lime and lemonade tops to my other half's pint. You're putting less beer in there, so charge me less for the beer. Its a cheek.
3) Service. I once queued for 40 minutes to get served. Too many people, not enough staff, this has ALWAYS been a problem.
4) Food. Priced like good quality food, tastes average.
5) Chorlton. This is more of a dig at chorlton than at the jockey, but the jockey attracts what i hate most about chorlton. The faux-cheshire set mob. The ones that call their kids "gideon" or "Ceasar" or "luscius". You live in a labour heartland. Your children should be called Malcolm, colin or dave. Its the nobheads who call chorlton "the village". The jockey panders to these prententious tw@ts by making it feel like a country pub when actually its a turd of a boozer rolled in glitter to attract @rseholes.


Unfortunately the people you describe have started frequenting the Beech now.
Went on Saturday evening, and a group had actually put chairs blocking off the doorway of the snug so that their kids couldn't crawl off!
I swear it was like drinking in a f******creche
http://www.bacononthebeech.com/
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

User avatar
t0ria
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby t0ria » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:57 pm

bacononthebeech wrote:Unfortunately the people you describe have started frequenting the Beech now.
Went on Saturday evening, and a group had actually put chairs blocking off the doorway of the snug so that their kids couldn't crawl off!
I swear it was like drinking in a f******creche


Ooh that's bad. We've noticed custom in the Beech has changed recently, we wondered if it was just overspill on busy days from the H&J but maybe not. I hate kids in pubs.
(Edit: But I do like dogs in pubs, especially that chubby Labrador called Velvet and the mental Jack Russells that go in there).

DaveB
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 am

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby DaveB » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Bring back Ken and Edna

User avatar
bacononthebeech
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby bacononthebeech » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 pm

t0ria wrote:
bacononthebeech wrote:Unfortunately the people you describe have started frequenting the Beech now.
Went on Saturday evening, and a group had actually put chairs blocking off the doorway of the snug so that their kids couldn't crawl off!
I swear it was like drinking in a f******creche


Ooh that's bad. We've noticed custom in the Beech has changed recently, we wondered if it was just overspill on busy days from the H&J but maybe not. I hate kids in pubs.
(Edit: But I do like dogs in pubs, especially that chubby Labrador called Velvet and the mental Jack Russells that go in there).


Agreed.
Even though I'm a fan; I think the Hungry Gecko has brought in new yummy mummy types as well.
They were talking loudly about having 'supper' the other day.
No! It's your dinner & your tea up here!
http://www.bacononthebeech.com/
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

pauld
Posts: 775
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:25 pm
Location: Chorlton

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby pauld » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Does this mean the Trev will be the new Beech?

TossPot
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby TossPot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:50 pm

DaveB wrote:Bring back Ken and Edna


Well said that man.
'Drive-by insult merchant'

User avatar
Phila
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:28 pm
Location: Slaptop Or SmacBook (Chorlton, Really)

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby Phila » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Been back in tonight to give it another go. Lost all character ( how many matching lamp shades are needed on a blank wall?), beer was lousy; food- I tried a hanging kebab (a what) 4 chunks of chicken, some onion, pepper and courgette; allegedly marinaded in sweet chilli and ginger (not a trace) served with soggy chips and a serviette that was supposed to be bread. The garlic "butter" was still liquid at the end of the meal, and the tomato ketchup tasted like the cheapest and most vinegary condiment ever, only £9 odd, and it was full of kids and dogs. I know it went a tad up itself before, but really is dire now.

User avatar
annie
Posts: 4816
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:08 am
Location: Chorlton

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby annie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Maybe we could get the dogs to eat the children?
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Wintergreen
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby Wintergreen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:04 pm

The food has gone downhill at the H&J for sure, but I've never had any problems with the beer quality there. The microbrewery beers, Holt's stuff and the guests are always in good condition. Prices are certainly on the high side though.

blenkinsop
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby blenkinsop » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Went to the Jockey for lunch on New Year's Eve, very busy and queues to find tables. Food was pricey for what was just pub grub, as was the beer. I confirm that the ketchup was so vinegary, I asked for a replacement, which was the same (supplied in huge containers from Brake Bros). We were amazed at how many dogs were in there, you just could not get away from them, the air was absolutely thick with dander, which did cause some sneezing / irritation in our party. Won't be going back.

User avatar
Lord Chandos
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 pm
Location: Chorlton-cum-Hardy

Re: Horse and Jockey

Postby Lord Chandos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:27 am

blenkinsop wrote:Went to the Jockey for lunch on New Year's Eve, very busy and queues to find tables. Food was pricey for what was just pub grub, as was the beer. I confirm that the ketchup was so vinegary, I asked for a replacement, which was the same (supplied in huge containers from Brake Bros). We were amazed at how many dogs were in there, you just could not get away from them, the air was absolutely thick with dander, which did cause some sneezing / irritation in our party. Won't be going back.

Similar experience, we went a couple of weeks before Christmas, lots of dogs in at the time and was quite busy.
I'm ok with the dogs not a problem but we did notice about three of them were on the chairs etc, my partner tolerates them but isn't a dog lover and was quite dismayed to find out the following morning her coat was covered in dog hair and I wasn't too happy to find they had also transferred to the car seat
After we ordered our meals and drinks, the waitress came about 5 minutes later to explain they had run out of what my partner had ordered so she chose something else, about £3 cheaper.
When I went to the bar to order some more drinks I explained they owed me £3 and the manageress had to deal with it, she apologised and gave us the drinks for free so was quite happy with that.
I also took a party of a dozen or so over the Christmas period, the food was ok, but just that ......ok, we ate in the upstairs part so dogs weren't a problem that day.
Some of the drinks were pricey but I thought the bottles of house red/white at £14 were quite drinkable.
Considering how busy the place was all the staff we came in contact with were excellent though and probably enhanced an average experience.
Would I go back ?............maybe, if the dog owners are house trained.


Return to “Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests