A Coffee chain opening in Chorlton

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
bacononthebeech

A Coffee chain opening in Chorlton

Postby bacononthebeech » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 pm

According to rumours on twitter.
I don't know which one. I'd guess at Costa.
http://www.bacononthebeech.com/
Twitter @Bacononthebeech

FurFoxAche

Re: A Coffee chain opening in Chorlton

Postby FurFoxAche » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:29 pm

Yup, I heard it was costa. About time too. I reckon a pret would go down well in chorlton.

lister

Postby lister » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Why would you chose chorlton as a site for a coffee chain? I can't see it as viable unless it undercut local coffee shops, or occupied a preferable pitch.

Given the competition, I'd give it a year.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Where in chorlton just does coffee? I'm not making a point I'm just asking a question. Sugar cube? Most other places such as the tea hive are different types of places.

lister

Postby lister » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Places I'd class as purveyors of coffee:

- barbakan
- tea hive
- Simon Dunn
- battery park
- the place near the chorlton offie
- beagle
- the cafe place on barlowmoor rd
- pretty much everywhere on beech rd
- the cafe opposite the baths
- probably a few others

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:00 pm

They are all a bit more than just coffee though... I don't think costa would impact too much on them and still make a good go of it. It also leads me to think more brand names will start looking at chorlton, especially the precinct, which is where costa will go.

Edwinacurry

Postby Edwinacurry » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:34 pm

The precinct needs a costa or similar, it would really help the vibe. I went there last week with my mum who can't walk far, she fancied a coffee before we went home and we ended up with a take out from Martins, consumed sitting on the tramps bench next to Frosts.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:49 am

If Costa / any other national chain open up in Chorlton, they will have done their homework, and will be here for the long haul. Excellent coffee, presentation and comfort at Costa, but prices will make some eyes water. The impact on existing operators - some will get their act together, and then put their prices up. Wetherspoons will get even busier (if that's possible).

Make the most of Barbakan coffee and a cake deals, at the current wonderful prices. Costa will charge double for similar Barbakan offers, and their cakes will be shipped in, probably defrosting en route (but the cups, saucers and cutlery will be very nice).

annie

Postby annie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:07 am

The arrival of a Costa or Starbucks in Chorlton will start a slow inexorable slide into the kind of corporate hellhole that is Didsbury. Expensive slop, sold in massive waxed cups to mugs who want to be seen using the brand.

Especially damning, considering the coffee festival that happened recently, supported by the local retailers. I'd have thought anyone with any regard for Chorlton would chase the barstewards away like they do with bloody Tesco!
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

lister

Postby lister » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:46 am

I'm not saying it will have an affect on existing retailers, and I'm aware that many of those listed do more than coffee, but I think there's a reason for that - most people in chorlton don't seem to go out for the coffee alone - they go for a cake, or some lunch, with friends.

Costa I find to be a competent coffee shop, and is ideally suited in busier centres with little competition (Sale, Altrincham, etc.) they generally go for the expensive units in areas that independents can't afford. I think their lack of competition in these areas is what allows them to charge ~£7 for a coffee and a sandwich.

Where could you really see yourself on a winters day? In San Juan with an espresso and churros, or sat in the precint drinking out of a cup with an impossibly small handle with a front row seat to frosty selling his sausage?

Obviously it's a free market, and any business is free to occupy the centre, but it'd be nice if there was some sort of relief in business rates for shops that we actually need;

- A decent stationers (sorry conrads)
- A small hardware shop
- A small tailors
- A shoe shop
- A sportswear shop

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 am

A friend of mine opened an independant coffee shop in a small town in Devon last year. Within 2 months Costa had decided to open a branch immediately opposite her shop. Funny how they had no interest in the town until she opened up and was clearly being successful.

Here we go to another indentikit town centre. What a shame.

Fungus Mungus

Postby Fungus Mungus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 am

As a parent of teenage kids - one good thing about Costa is that it's a decent place where teenagers can meet up at weekends.
I know there's millions of calories in those creamy sugary things they sell but i'd rather my kids sat chatting in Costa than Subway or the crappy chicken places.

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:22 am

i think the clientele that costa will be aimed at will be entirely different to those who go to the aforementioned places. it'll be people on the way to work and people happy to spend an afternoon sat in the precinct and i dont think that includes the tea hive yummy mummies, which will be the most direct competition. for everywhere else coffee is a secondary product so it wont hurt them, apart from battery park who have been committing daylight robbery for as long as i can remember and i'll be glad to see them either replaced or forced to offer a value service and product.
Last edited by oswaldgold on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 am

Fungus Mungus wrote:As a parent of teenage kids - one good thing about Costa is that it's a decent place where teenagers can meet up at weekends.
I know there's millions of calories in those creamy sugary things they sell but i'd rather my kids sat chatting in Costa than Subway or the crappy chicken places.

they dont let you drink cheap cider in costa so i doubt teenage kids will be in there much.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:35 pm

I don't understand why people get upset over chains apparently moving in when Chorlton is full of them. The precinct itself is loaded with them:

1) Quality Save
2) Boots
3) BHF Charity Shop
4) Farm Foods
5) Timpsons
6) Thomas Cook
7) Pound Bakery

Now Costa is going to take over one of the empty ones, which just so happened to be a chain in itself (Johnsons).

Elsewhere in chorlton we've got Greggs, Morrisons, Wetherspoon, Coop x 750, Tesco, Boots opticians, threshers, dominos, pizza hut, KFC, McD's, Subway, etc etc etc.... its hardly devoid of chain shops! Chorlton can retain its independent shops alongside these chains. To say they can't is short-sighted. Plus, lets not forget that chain shops/cafes etc are popular for a reason... people tend to like them! Whether it be for convenience or price or whatever else.

I'd happilly welcome some decent chains into chorlton.

Return to “Discussions”