A Coffee chain opening in Chorlton

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
annie

Re: A Coffee chain opening in Chorlton

Postby annie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:27 pm

lister wrote:Where could you really see yourself on a winters day? In San Juan with an espresso and churros, or sat in the precint drinking out of a cup with an impossibly small handle with a front row seat to frosty selling his sausage?

You already gave a list of lovely, local, decent retailers offering the sale of coffee in a comfortable environment. Why have a bland chain like Costly Coffee?

toria puts it well... I'm sure there's no coincidence between the coffee festival and the interest being shown now by a chain.. :roll:
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Good. Chorlton centre's a f*cking hellhole trapped in a bygone age. I'd rater be surrounded by wannabe yuppies than the great unwashed.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:46 pm

What time scale are we talking about here? Is Costa planning to move into the precinct as it is now or when it is "developed"?

annie

Postby annie » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 pm

still_ill wrote:Good. Chorlton centre's a f*cking hellhole trapped in a bygone age. I'd rater be surrounded by wannabe yuppies than the great unwashed.

Nice. Why don't you move to Didsbury?
:roll:
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

QueeQueg

Postby QueeQueg » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:12 pm

I agree with still ill.
The precinct is a shit hole and has been for sometime.

bufty1

Postby bufty1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I agree Chorlton precinct is a shit hole. Costa will be good for Chorlton. Coffee places in town are always busy and have a good vibe so will be a positive addition to Chorlton high street. Sick of the independent dross currenty on the high street i.e chicken shops, charity shops, Sugarcube etc....

???

Postby ??? » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16 am

I doubt Costa will go in the precinct as it is meant to be being knocked down at some point in the near future. They are only offering short term leases with no security of tenure, therefore I don't think they could justify the cost of the refurb to bring a precinct unit up to Costa's standard internal fit-out. Having said that I cant see any other units that the could go into either though unless they go where Ethel Austin was. I know there is a charity shop there at the moment but they may just be occupying it for free to avoid the landlord paying empty rates and therefore could be kicked out at relatively short notice when a paying tenant was found.

axelariat

Postby axelariat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:06 am

Chorlton Precinct could well be described as a shit hole, and admittedly most of the shops on there don't appeal to me - but they do have a very good butchers (albeit quite expensive) and some greengrocers which are cheaper than the supermarket offerings. We do have to remember that cheap and cheerful shops like the 'pound bakery' are a necessity for many local residents who can't afford more expensive places like artisan delis and the supermarkets. I'm interested in the comment above about the Precinct being knocked down 'in the near future', this is news to me, can anyone elaborate and what's planned to replace it?

annie

Postby annie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Regardless of the precinct (which is just one small part of Chorlton)... NOWHERE needs a Costa. Leave such things to the local retailers.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:24 pm

I do hope this doesn't go ahead it'll be the end of Chorlton as we know it. Next we'll have Tesco, Wetherspoon's, and god forbid, McDonald's moving in.

???

Postby ??? » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:17 am

There were rumours of a large scale redevelopment of the precinct but with the economic downturn this has been binned. Now they will be keeping the 1960's office building, quality save and maybe boots but knocking down the rest of the precinct and building modern units. The main proposal will be the erection of a supermarket - stongly rumoured to be Booths on stilts above the car park.

As far as I am aware though there are no plans for this to commence in the short term - i.e 12-18 months however with the property market rumoured to be picking up with prime investments nearing 2007 levels and speculative development beginning to happen again I would have thought that the wheels will be in motion on this fairly soon. (this is purely speculation on my part with absolutely nothing to back it up)

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:15 pm

THere does seem to be a lot more money around at the moment. I'm working on a project with a number of interfaces with other private developments in the city and its a really exciting time to be working in Manchester. The next 2 years is looking quite promising. I can't speak for the 'burbs, but with the amount of money in the area, it would be surprising if nobody was looking at chorlton.

gitface

Postby gitface » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Good news. I've been waiting for the precinct to be sorted since I moved here in 1996. It was looking decidedly ratty back then too. Surely someone could make some money out of it...

ladyheather

Postby ladyheather » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:28 pm

I'd welcome a Costa. It would suggest at least someone thinks Chorlton is worth investing in. And aren't they franchises? Is possible an existing coffee shop may be doing a franchise deal.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:37 pm

The fact that there isn't a Costa, Starbucks or Caffe Nero in Chorlton, is perhaps a reflection of it being a sh*tty little suburb, which is clearly rough as a*se holes.

An individual franchise with Costa (if one were available, which it's not) would require a minimum £250k personal investment, with easy access to much more finance, to commit to the business.

Hence all the 'independent dross' in Chorlton.

Return to “Discussions”