A Coffee chain opening in Chorlton

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
annie

Re: A Coffee chain opening in Chorlton

Postby annie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:26 pm

blenkinsop wrote:The fact that there isn't a Costa, Starbucks or Caffe Nero in Chorlton, is perhaps a reflection of it being a sh*tty little suburb, which is clearly rough as a*se holes.

An individual franchise with Costa (if one were available, which it's not) would require a minimum £250k personal investment, with easy access to much more finance, to commit to the business.

Hence all the 'independent dross' in Chorlton.

Please.

Save yourself.

Leave.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:12 pm

I'll get my coat then, your Highness.

annie

Postby annie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:41 pm

blenkinsop wrote:I'll get my coat then, your Highness.

Chorlton is such a hellhole.. I only have your best interests at heart! :mrgreen:
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:18 pm

I have to say, re: chain stores destroying the world, the long foreseen destruction of chorlton by the arrival of a tesco superstore in a nearby borough has really materialized....

Sometimes I start to think my beloved suburb is populated by the left wing equivalent of militant daily mail readers. And didsbury has always been up its own arse, regardless of chain stores, its too easy for the cheshire set to slum it down the a34 to go see the "village" for that place to ever be anything other than a clone town

KingNailer

Postby KingNailer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 am

eddy wrote:I have to say, re: chain stores destroying the world, the long foreseen destruction of chorlton by the arrival of a tesco superstore in a nearby borough has really materialized....

Sometimes I start to think my beloved suburb is populated by the left wing equivalent of militant daily mail readers. And didsbury has always been up its own arse, regardless of chain stores, its too easy for the cheshire set to slum it down the a34 to go see the "village" for that place to ever be anything other than a clone town

our independent toy shops may beg to differ

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I have a 3 yr old lad, we have shopped in both said toy shops, nothing what either sold was available at Tesco. Monkey Puzzle did a good line in expensive wooden things, very nice staff and I am sad to see them go, but they were going for a niche market. The Tesco toy section doesnt sell anything like what was offered at those shops, trust me I have tried to find stuff, its all aimed at older kids. Can you say said toy shops would have survived without Tesco opening? Or were they doomed anyways, I mean present me a definite correlation and I will retract the above and rethink my views

I am sorry but I take particular issue with people moaning about chain stores opening in Chorlton as it being the end of the world. People who wanted to worry about small business should have gave more of a toss back in the 1990s when Tesco and out of town retail destroyed the high street. The damage is done, GOI.

The type of people who use Unicorn or indy coffee shops in Chorlton do so out of choice, these business appeal to a certain demographic and they try to be different. Thats why they are still going. Maybe its the produce, or service, or locally sourced, or supporting local business; whatever it is these indy shops survive because they exploit a gap in the market or have a certain appeal. I dont for one second think your average unicorn shopper would stop going there as soon as Tesco opened and people who currently support the indy coffee shops in Chorlton are unlikely to go to Costa instead, for similar reasons.

Similarly the type of people who would use a costa are unlikely to have ever set foot inside unicorn, they dont care, they want the same Vanilla latte they get near their office in town. Yea they can already get a Vanilla Latte in Chorlton, probably for less than at Costa, but they probably never realized. How is local business loosing out?

Louise

Postby Louise » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:44 pm

I used the Unicorn and got coffee to take out from Subway.

However, the first things that I ever bought on line were toys. You could get exactly what you wanted without having to take the kids to the shop with you. No negotiation, you bought it, they got it on Christmas morning. It was a done deal.

More reliable too. I ordered a toy pedal car for my son from Busy Bee, leaving a substantial deposit. I went to pick it up the day before his birthday and they said "Sorry we never ordered it. But the good news is, you can have your money back" We had to track one down somewhere else and drive across town to pick it up. I never really trusted them after that.

I started shopping online where you can order it, pay for it, and they deliver it to your house. I would also say, that it's nice to buy those wooden toys which are so tasteful and fit in with your home decor but as soon as your kid starts school and see what other kids have, they will be stuffing the lovely wooden toys under the bed and demanding something with lights and noise and a gun on the top.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Edwinacurry wrote:The precinct needs a costa or similar, it would really help the vibe. I went there last week with my mum who can't walk far, she fancied a coffee before we went home and we ended up with a take out from Martins, consumed sitting on the tramps bench next to Frosts.

Well, Costa Coffee is up and running, and even it's most vocal opponents, might concede that the corner of the precinct entrance, has improved immeasurably with Costa's arrival. I imagine that on a sunny day, on their quality outside seating and tables, you could quite believe you were somewhere else. But, then again, maybe not. :)

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:58 am

blenkinsop wrote:Well, Costa Coffee is up and running, and even it's most vocal opponents, might concede that the corner of the precinct entrance, has improved immeasurably with Costa's arrival. I imagine that on a sunny day, on their quality outside seating and tables, you could quite believe you were somewhere else...

It's hard to agree with this without feeling like you're playing devil's advocate, but i thought similar when i passed yesterday. I don't drink coffee regularly, but whenever i've bought a coffee in Chorlton i've been distinctly unimpressed. That whole area around the old shopping centre reeks of death, it being brightened up is a good thing. Not completely sure why people see independents vs chain stores as a definite either/or, both can serve a purpose. If the independents price their goods fairly (most in Chorlton don't), they employ knowledgable staff, and sell a quality product, they've nothing to worry about. I'll go to Spoon Inn for a tea before Wetherspoons, for instance, or Martins for a pasty before Greggs, or the Japanese off-licence before one of the supermarkets for booze. Simply opposing big companies for the sake of it is a bit stupid.

Edwinacurry

Postby Edwinacurry » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:12 am

The precinct looks 100% better. Hopefully more people overall will stop for a coffee in Chorlton, so that the independents also don't miss out and might benefit.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am

Does this mean the precinct is staying in its present form for a while? It would look 200% better for a quick coat of paint over that livid green, and maybe a small tree or two in big pots.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 am

The precinct is horrid and should ideally be pulled down, but i don't think it's beyond help. Costa opening freshens it up a bit, and even the new Timpsons unit makes a notable improvement. There's a new Ladbrokes opening just around the corner as well, and whilst people are opposed to chain stores, they at least look presentable, unlike most of the units within the precinct itself, bar those mentioned and Frost's.

For me, the area infront of Quality Save is greatly underused. They could quite easily grass the middle or add some sort of feature, and replace the awkward steel benches with something more welcoming. The sheltered area opposite the Job Centre could also be put to much better use. Walking through the place is depressing. They could quite easily get a couple of local schools involved in brightening the place up (no modern grafiti shite, but y'know, something that didn't just look bland).

Does anyone know what the rents are like for the units? Do the better independent stores stay away because of cost or because of the location and quality of the footflow? Quality Save relocating would be a huge bonus. I appreciate it serves its purpose, but it's dreadful, and sets the tone of the entire place. The oft-mentioned Waitrose, M&S or Booths would be a great improvement, and the other units would quickly fill up due to the increase in passing trade.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:57 pm

The shop rents in the precinct are not an issue, the quality of some of the 'fly by night' tenants has been. An example is that shite furniture shop that has appeared.

The footfall in the precinct is huge, and even though much of it is generated by Quality Save, not all of it is down market, as Frosts etc would not be there. The Costa looks great, and is busy already.

The more quality tenants express an interest in the precinct, the more likely it will be refurbished.

The rip off car park is part of the problem, ANPR cameras generate demands for payment, even if you just drive through to drop someone off - you don't pay, of course.

I don't rate Booths or M & S, Waitrose are fine - but I can't see Quality Save pushing off any time soon, as it is one of the busiest shops in Chorlton. We do need something to give Morrisons a slap, one of their busiest and most profitable stores btw, even though it is tiny compared to the norm today.

I'd love an Aldi in Chorlton, that would really piss off the newly arrived 'I love Chorlton brigade', not to mention all the rip off retailers in Chorlton - independent or otherwise.

annie

Postby annie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm not buying the "look it's nicer since Costa moved in" bollox. Johnsons and Timpsons were perfectly fine shopfronts, and at least offered a proper service, rather than overpriced shite in a paper cup.

Cheadle Hulme's precinct is very similar to Chorlton's, and their "makeover" made a considerable improvement, without need to tear it down...

The clean lines, no garish green paint, and a roof, makes for a much more decent experience. If THIS happened, maybe better shops would move in?

The point about the rates is a good one, and it's killing off small businesses in Chorlton one by one... letting the charity shops, chicken takeaways and various other fronts-for-possibly-illegal-activities move in.

QueeQueg

Postby QueeQueg » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:59 pm

annie wrote:I'm not buying the "look it's nicer since Costa moved in" bollox. Johnsons and Timpsons were perfectly fine shopfronts, and at least offered a proper service, rather than overpriced shite in a paper cup.

Cheadle Hulme's precinct is very similar to Chorlton's, and their "makeover" made a considerable improvement, without need to tear it down...

The clean lines, no garish green paint, and a roof, makes for a much more decent experience. If THIS happened, maybe better shops would move in?

The point about the rates is a good one, and it's killing off small businesses in Chorlton one by one... letting the charity shops, chicken takeaways and various other fronts-for-possibly-illegal-activities move in.

Yawn

Return to “Discussions”