Energy saving advice anyone?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Kristen

Energy saving advice anyone?

Postby Kristen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:06 pm

We all know just how expensive gas and electricity are and I was wondering what eveyone is doing to save on gas and electricity? I switch energy suppliers fairly regularly so in terms of what I'm paying I know it is one of the cheapest tariffs around.

I now I have a blanket over me if I'm watching television and then notch the thermostat down, never used to do that. My loft is insulated too.

I have sash windows in my house and no curtains which I know will leak lots of heat but am reluctant to change them for double glazing when after 100 years they work perfectly and I like how they fit the character of the house. I have a fire which I don't use and have heard about chimney draught excluders. I might look into that. Does anyone have one of these?

I have a draught excluder up against my front door. I haven't got cavity wall insulation but I live in a mid-terraced house so not sure if that would save much energy and I don't know if all properties are suitable? I'm sure one of the neighbours on our road said our houses weren't suitable for it but I don't know why.

I am wondering what everyone else is doing to save money on gas and electricity?

Pearl

Re: Energy saving advice anyone?

Postby Pearl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi Kristen,

I have sash windows too, for the same reason as you, but I definitely have curtains! A good thick pair of curtains is supposed to be as good as double glazing. My neighbour has had super-thin double glazing panels installed in her original windows and they look great, but the quote I got was absurdly high so I'm sticking to the curtains. With thermal linings.

Sash windows can be pretty drafty and I had mine professionally draft proofed a couple of years ago. I wasn't that happy with the job they did tbh, and I'm pretty sure some cheapo draft strip would have been almost as good, and massively cheaper. If some of them are windows that you don't open much in the winter, you can just tape wide sellotape over all the gaps and spaces, although it does not look very elegant and will probably pull some of the paint off in the spring. I have done the thing with that cling filmy stuff and a hair dryer to replicate double glazing too in the past. It was surprisingly successful and virtually invisible, though a bit fiddly to do and you have to redo it each winter.

I got an extra thick layer of loft insulation which made a big difference, and your neighbour is probably right about the walls. A lot of terraced housing in Chorlton is too old to have cavity walls, mine certainly is.

So far as the chimney blocking things go, I'd heard they are very disappointing, pretty much expensive plastic bags, so I just bought an old cushion for 50p at Age Uk which works fine. Remember to take it out if you do have a fire! You can just get a new one if it gets too sooty. (New to you obvs!)

I also have those old ladyish sausagy draft excluders at the bottom of most of my doors, though the external ones have proper fitted draft edges / storm guards which I think are worth it. Also escutcheons on the keyholes of the external doors, as the wind can really howl through a mortice keyhole, and door curtains on the inside. Oh and fluffy rugs. And a flappy thing on the inside of the letter box.

Blimey, I sound as though I live in the North Pole on 50p a week. Far from it but I really don't like being cold or in a draft.

sky blue

Postby sky blue » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:08 pm

You have solid walls so no cavity to fill. Pearl is right, thick thermally lined curtains are essential as you don't have double glazing.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Get some heavy curtains up over all your sash windows, doing this will save you the most, in terms of heating your house.

Phila

Postby Phila » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Pearl, you read so much like you're taking the pee that i thought you were Blenkinsop. Glad neither of you were! I have to agree that good curtains rock. Personally, I'm toying with a multi fuel burner? Though I'm informed that they can pose health hazards???

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:09 am

For Phila.

I guess you're aware of the issues with multi fuel burners, so it's best not to even go there. But just in case, here are some things to think about.

Carbon Monoxide detector (or two) essential.
Fully lined chimney required to eliminate Carbon Monoxide seepage into upstairs rooms, or a proper flue.
Lots of ventilation in the room with the stove is required, meaning it's so draughty, the stove will need to be on a lot (just to fight the draughts).
Regular sweeping / cleaning of the chimney / flue to avoid it getting blocked with the gunk that burning wood produces, especially if unseasoned. A blocked chimney / flue means the Carbon Monoxide is forced into the room. Flu lke symptoms, are usually the first sign of CO poisoning.
You cannot even have an extractor fan in the same room as the multi fuel burner, as it may be more effective at sucking Carbon Monoxide out of the burner (and into the room), than the flue.

Apart from all that, as long as you cover all the angles, you may be fine - but I wouldn't recommend having a kip during MOTD, with the multi fuel stove on!

Phila

Postby Phila » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks Blenki. I will be getting it done by a registered installer, if at all.

pauld

Postby pauld » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Buy a fleece onesie. They're the warmest things ever.

Kristen

Postby Kristen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:39 pm

pauld wrote:Buy a fleece onesie. They're the warmest things ever.

And when the doorbell rings :oops: Seriously though I do not swan around my house in shorts and a vest top. I do have quite a few layers on but thank you for the suggestion. So it begs the question do you and toria wear onesies?

Thank you for all the great advice, especially yours Pearl. I will try stuffing some old cushions up my chimney (oo er missus). I'll try some of the charity shops, think there's a few around the four banks cross roads? Think there's one near the Co-op food shop and near the post office too. Can't think of any others?

I will also buy some thick curtains too.

Louise

Postby Louise » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:13 pm

Onesies are ok but if you are a woman you have to peel the whole thing off to pee and then sit on the toilet freezing.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:22 am

Kristen wrote: I'll try some of the charity shops, think there's a few around the four banks cross roads? Think there's one near the Co-op food shop and near the post office too.

Yes, it's charity shop city round there. Old cushions aplenty. The one near the co-op (the larger of the two Red Crosses) will probably have some thick curtains too.

Phila

Postby Phila » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 pm

Louise wrote:Onesies are ok but if you are a woman you have to peel the whole thing off to pee and then sit on the toilet freezing.

They need to make them like the old style long john's with a cat flap in them! :lol:

swbluto

Postby swbluto » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Where is the charity shop? I need see some rugs and cushions!
Have a look at Kas Cushions http://www.elanlinen.com.au/kas in Australia.

Return to “Discussions”