New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Pearl

New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

Postby Pearl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:31 pm

The Council seems to be consulting us again:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/houghend

lister

Re: New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

Postby lister » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Looks pretty crap to be honest!

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:18 pm

What they have looks good. But...

The location is far from most of Chorlton, it's really more like Withington.

No sports hall. So no basketball, no badminton, no 5-a-side.

I know times are tough but it seems a bit half-hearted to me.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:36 pm

ash pole wrote:. . . it seems a bit half-hearted to me.

Yes, I was surprised how little of it there seems to be, considering it replaces two existing centres and theoretically serves a very large area. There doesn't appear to be any kind of cafe, or even somewhere to sit around with a vending machine, let alone acclimatise after a sauna.

I don't play squash but I don't think two courts is very many for the size of the potential population. Would have liked a diving pool myself, but I suppose that's a bit unrealistic these days.

The decline of public swimming pools seems to have been very steep. Everything has become very skimpy and basic, and don't get me started on the flimsy mixed-sex changing cubicles. The wonderful Victoria Baths on Hathersage Road had a basement full of beds, and a whole room solely for throwing buckets of water over each other. And that was as well as a hot steam room, a very hot steam room and a really really hot steam room.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Pearl wrote:
ash pole wrote:. . . it seems a bit half-hearted to me.

don't get me started on the flimsy mixed-sex changing cubicles.

I didn't pick up on this from the plans - how does this sort of think work? Mixed showers too?!? :o

(sorry is this gets you started...)

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks Ashpole, I will try and exercise restraint.

The new-fangled way is to get changed in a rackety-walled little cubicle, put all your stuff in a locker, leaving the cubicle for the next person of whatever gender, then have a shower in your cossie in a mixed showering area, before and / or after you have a swim, then repeating it all in reverse. I think there are larger cubicles for adult / child families.

Personally I find this arrangement unrelaxing and uncomfortable, although I admit it makes things easier for trans people, dads with daughters, mothers with sons and so on.

annie

Postby annie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't see the problem. We share the water with the opposite sex... we walk past them on the side of the pool... So long as the cubicle offers secure privacy it's not a big deal to me. I've been in a few unisex loos too, and have only ever heard people say "ooh this is unusual!"...
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:57 pm

The existing Chorlton pool will be closer to Moss Side Leisure centre than the new one.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:56 pm

alr1970 wrote:The existing Chorlton pool will be closer to Moss Side Leisure centre than the new one.

- and an easier bus journey for many of us too. Haven't been to Moss Side baths for ages but used to find it very friendly and I liked the lapping over the edge style of pool. Is it definitely staying open?

StePee

Postby StePee » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:49 pm

We're being ripped off.
I moved to the middle of Chorlton 20 yrs ago for the local amenities, and now they're getting closed.
The new location doesn't count as local anymore.
In times of austerity, we should be making do, and mending the existing, rather than flogging off the land from beneath them, and fobbing us off with a half-arsed compromised, headline-grabbing council vanity project that simply isn't a fair swap.

ladyheather

Postby ladyheather » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:26 pm

I would be interested to know how many people responded to the original consultation as the 'save withington baths' (from immediate closure) campaign was more in people's awareness at the time. It's now futile to discuss the location as its a foregone conclusion. Surely a good number of current Chorlton users will use Stretford LC, which is even closer than Moss Side?

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:46 pm

StePee - whilst I don't disagree with your view on ripping out services etc, moving somewhere 20 years ago for the local amenities is a non argument. Change is inevitable over such a long period.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:21 pm

StePee wrote:We're being ripped off.

To be fair it's almost always far cheaper to build something new than to renovate an existing building. Older buildings, while generally more solid, tend to be particularly inflexible. That said, this does look like a particularly small box. They must be hoping the mutually inconvenient location ensures it doesn't get too busy.

lister

Postby lister » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:35 pm

I note Victor Chamberlain is awfully quiet on this one....

The new centre is a good 45 minute walk from the existing - and that's not allowing for having children in tow, so the alternative is to either pay a fortune to use the tram, or get in the car.

What's the provision for the local primary schools who currently walk to chorlton baths for swimming lessons?

What happens with the existing leisure centre? Are there restrictions that the plot retains a community function? Or more featureless flats designed by a CAD technician for maximum profit?

lister

Postby lister » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Also - not sure what consultant MCC engaged for their proposals and plans, but they certainly need to find another. The map is abysmal, whoever QA'd that needs sacking.

Return to “Discussions”