New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Pearl

Re: New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

Postby Pearl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:55 pm

This correspondence prompted me to want to go for a little swim, so I went to the website for a pool timetable and found this, which I hadn't previously heard about:

From 1st October the management and operation of Manchester Leisure Centres will transfer to Greenwich Leisure Limited, on behalf of Manchester City Council.

To find details of the centre and the programmes and activities available, please visit http://www.better.org.uk

Looking back at the last 14 years of partnership between the local community and Manchester Council, everyone at Manchester Sport and Leisure Trust and Serco Leisure would like to thank you for your custom and wish you a happy healthy future...

I had not been aware that we in the local community had been in partnership with the Council for the last 14 years in the running of the baths. Maybe this will make it easier to ask our Council chums to keep the place open?

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm

I don't think there's any point dreaming of keeping the baths open. The consultation's been and gone and the decision to close and "relocate" has been taken.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:24 am

Yes, and much as I love the idea that the council could sell/pass on the facilities to a community organisation, you can bet they will have valued the land as commercial/residential when doing the cost-benefit analysis (or whatever it is called) for the move to the no mans land of Princess Parkway so will have to sell it.

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Now Withington baths isn't going to close after all:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... up-8647427

A group of residents who have battled for two years to save their local pool have been given permission to run it themselves. The Love Withington Baths group will now take over the day-to-day running of the historic leisure centre, saving it from closure.

annie

Postby annie » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:57 pm

So... Withington baths, which is HALF a mile from the new centre is allowed to stay open, and the one TWO MILES away has to close.

Figures.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

StePee

Postby StePee » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:09 pm

It's great news.
The people of Withington-Didsbury (W-Dids) get to run their own local Leisure Centre.
(Not their Council, which they paid their taxes for.)
However, in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, no-one is stepping up to:
a) object that this is happening.
b) organise a similar future for Chorlton Baths.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Well good luck to them, but I can't help but think this is destined for failure for the same reasons the council can't make it work.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 am

Still no official closing date for Chorlton Leisure Centre, but still looks like June:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... te-9092732

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:28 am

. . . And in the meantime the excellent Withington baths campaigners seem to be doing well with their lovely building:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... hs-9128658

(This isn't a criticism of anyone in Chorlton btw, I didn't campaign to keep ours open either. Realistically, it seemed unviable)

I continue to politely request the council to update their web page about the Hough End Centre. As well as a clue about an opening date, they could usefully mention that it no longer replaces the Withington centre couldn't they?

http://manchester.gov.uk/houghend

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:08 am

The answer to the question of how schools will access the pool for lessons seems to have been answered. I saw a bus pull up outside Oswald Road this morning, with a "swimming baths" (love how they still call it that!) notice on it.

It parked on the zig-zags at 5 to 9 though, I'm pretty sure there's no exemption for anyone to do that.

StePee

Postby StePee » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 pm

:roll:

Return to “Discussions”