New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
lister

Re: New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

Postby lister » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 am

The tram isn't cheap, based on current prices I'd say a return from Chorlton to Hough end would be around £2.80 (likely to rise to £3.00 in the new year)

So someone wishing to go for a swim would have to pay over a fiver, not exactly accessible, and not healthy having to wait around at a tram stop with wet hair.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:25 pm

I challenge the Council officers to set off from the Chorlton address of their choosing and arrive at the Hough End site within twenty minutes, travelling by a tram that has a 12 minute frequency, no real timetable and frequent delays. They could then try it again with a couple of small children / a walking aid / the pace of an older person. They could try the bus if they prefer.

In fact if anyone had the energy we could do something like this ourselves with the local press invited couldn't we?

StePee

Postby StePee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm going to be on crutches into the NY. it'd be a valid experiment. I'll be your guinea pig…

steved

Postby steved » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:40 am

Perhaps a notice put in the current Leisure Center would be a good place to recruit a few more?

Fungus Mungus

Postby Fungus Mungus » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:44 pm

I maybe missing something here but what I don't get is what exactly do people who are against the closure of Chorlton Leisure Centre want?

Just for it to keep running and being patched up indefinitely, or is there some other alternative?

StePee

Postby StePee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Fungus Mungus wrote:I maybe missing something here but what I don't get is what exactly do people who are against the closure of Chorlton Leisure Centre want?

Just for it to keep running and being patched up indefinitely, or is there some other alternative?

No. A new one built: All over it! or spend 1/2 of the Hough End £9M on a FULL refurb at least.

Most importantly; keep Chorlton Leisure provision IN Chorlton ie where it is now.

The only conceivable alternative I'd personally back; is the already proposed but discarded precinct/ leisure complex development.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Looks as though the planning application for the centre at Hough End went in on 18th December with a closing date of 24th January:

http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-appl ... FRYBC06N00

Also a very brief summary of feedback from the December 2013 events are now available, albeit with no mention of the above planning application having now been made:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/20008 ... g_fields/7

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:31 am

Sounds to me like people want to get fit but aren't prepared to walk a mile out of town. Hmmm.

StePee

Postby StePee » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 am

It's 2.5 miles from our existing facility.

-And the other district facilities, shops etc: which is the issue, when the council's own policy is (was) to strengthen district centres; not to break them up and dissolve them.

annie

Postby annie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 am

still_ill wrote:Sounds to me like people want to get fit but aren't prepared to walk a mile out of town. Hmmm.

Silly person.

Chorlton has a local centre that can be used by everyone, is bang in the middle of Chorlton, is immediately accessible by bus, and is well-served by local shops.

This Hough End complex is miles away, is closer to West Didsbury than Chorlton and is not required. The money should be spent refurbishing Chorlton's own to high spec, totally re-doing the pool,and building over the car park with changing rooms and other facilities.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

StePee

Postby StePee » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:05 am

COULDN'T AGREE MORE Annie; well said!

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Me too.

Is anyone objecting to the planning application for the building at Hough End? I notice that no members of the public appear to have done so online as yet.

I am guessing this means that this would not be an effective way of objecting to the whole idea behind replacing the two existing centres with the one at Hough End. Withy baths have an active campaign so they'd probably have responded if it was worth doing so. Might ring the planning dept tomorrow if I have a mo - they're usually pretty good at explaining how these things work. I also don't really get why all the comments so far, which are from various depts and organisations, don't show up, and yet it suggests that any comment we make will show up immediately, with our names but not contact details. ??

StePee

Postby StePee » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Grounds for objection need to be relevant to the planning process, some good examples are listed here by way of illustration:

http://www.richmond.gov.uk/what_is_a_valid_objection_to_a_planning_application

I take the view that the proposal is contrary to the Council's own policies as set out in South Manchester Strategic Regeneration Framework http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/500108/south_manchester_regeneration/2418/south_manchester_strategic_regeneration_framework

See the framework here: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/download_info.php?fileID=7416
And the implementation framework here: http://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/7422/south_manchester_srf_implementation_plan

It also makes a mockery of Chorlton District Centre Action Plan 2010-2020:
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/16113/action_plan

I also reckon there's a massive flaw in their Travel - Transport Survey.
Amongst the supporting documents at: http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MY0FRYBC06N00
In which, it's claimed that the site is well served by major bus routes. It is; just not ones from Chorlton or Withington, so changing busses to get there would make the journey prohibitively complex (unless you live in Wythenshawe, Northenden, City Centre etc)
It's clear from reading that section too, that the stops are barely within the maximum distance of the entrance to constitute serving it.
A similar issue relates to the Metrolink; "within 400m", rather than our existing Leisure Centre which is aprox half of that distance from the Chorlton Met stop.

Consequently, I reckon their estimates of vehicular traffic will be far short of the mark, since many of those used to using the existing facility will choose to drive, rather than add about an hour to their round trip.
Their survey acknowledges the extra traffic would overload the existing junction; needing it to be changed to two T junctions, rather than an X: I think it's a fair assertion that the extra traffic (given their worthless bus routes & a long walk to the tram) would cause significant disruption on the A5103 Princess Parkway.

If anyone can see other relevant grounds for objection please speak up. Soon!

Objections need to be SUBMITTED BY 24th JAN.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:40 pm

annie wrote:Chorlton has a local centre that can be used by everyone, is bang in the middle of Chorlton, is immediately accessible by bus, and is well-served by local shops.

This Hough End complex is miles away...

Last time i checked, Chorlton Leisure Centre was on the outskirts of Chorlton, about 300 yards up the street and it would be classed as Whalley Range, Firswood, or even Old Trafford depending on which side of the road it was on.

Taking the Four Banks as the pedestrian centre of Chorlton, though in terms of land area it's probably nowhere near there, the propsed site at Hough End is around 900 yards further away than the current centre.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:50 pm

still_ill wrote:Taking the Four Banks as the pedestrian centre of Chorlton, though in terms of land area it's probably nowhere near there, the propsed site at Hough End is around 900 yards further away than the current centre.

Cobblers.

Return to “Discussions”