New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Re: New leisure centre at Hough End: More consultation

Postby Sarah_B » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:37 pm

still_ill wrote:
..... surely people who want to get or keep fit are prepared to walk another mile?

I sometimes wonder when people on this forum post if they ever bother to read the comments in the thread before they post. :roll:

StePee

Postby StePee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Even by crow, it's more than a mile. From the cross, Apple maps makes it 1.9 miles walking (along Mauldeth & turn right); 37 minutes.

To the existing one: 0.4 mile, 8 minute walk.

What school did you went?

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Google maps (walking directions) says from the four banks it's 0.3 mile to the existing centre and 1.8 miles to the new.

And (as has already been pointed out) Stretford leisure centre is only 1.4 mile away. And it's much better than what is proposed at Hough End anyway.

lister

Postby lister » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:57 pm

still_ill wrote:
Rob wrote:Not sure how good your grasp of local geography is, but maybe this map will help you.

http://bit.ly/1jBnDrx

Feel free to try the measuring tool, I think you'll find 900 yards is something of an mis-under-estimation. If I've time I might try measuring the population within, say, a 15 minute walk of each location. Though given there's a huge field next to one of them I've a feeling I know which is going to be the biggest.

Not sure i trust your mapping tool. I've used two others, both have the leisure centre around 0.45 miles from the Four Banks. Both have the prospective new site a mile from the same starting point, quicking walking route, obviously. Half a mile was around 900 yards last time i checked.

Even using your innacurate measurements, surely people who want to get or keep fit are prepared to walk another mile? What this actually comes down to is snobbery, people from Chorlton thinking Chorlton starts at the Barbican and ends at Beech Road, and them turning their noses up at the possibility of having to slum it with some non-vegans.

Not sure I'd apportion peoples dissatisfaction with snobbery.

A facility is being moved from an area of dense population within chorlton to a less densely populated area on the border of chorlton.

The new facility is inferior to the existing in terms of breadth of facilities provided.

There are no amenities immediately adjacent to the proposed site.

The facility is being moved outside of walking distance of two primary schools who frequent it.

Rob

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:50 am

still_ill wrote:
Rob wrote:Not sure how good your grasp of local geography is, but maybe this map will help you.

http://bit.ly/1jBnDrx

Feel free to try the measuring tool, I think you'll find 900 yards is something of an mis-under-estimation. If I've time I might try measuring the population within, say, a 15 minute walk of each location. Though given there's a huge field next to one of them I've a feeling I know which is going to be the biggest.

Not sure i trust your mapping tool. I've used two others, both have the leisure centre around 0.45 miles from the Four Banks. Both have the prospective new site a mile from the same starting point, quicking walking route, obviously. Half a mile was around 900 yards last time i checked.

Even using your innacurate measurements, surely people who want to get or keep fit are prepared to walk another mile? What this actually comes down to is snobbery, people from Chorlton thinking Chorlton starts at the Barbican and ends at Beech Road, and them turning their noses up at the possibility of having to slum it with some non-vegans.

Now you're just being silly.

"Not sure I trust your mapping tool". Why not?

"Even using your innacurate (sic) measurements" - I didn't offer any measurements, but gave you the tools to do some proper ones. And yet you continue to insist the Hough End Site is a mile from the Four Banks. It isn't, even measuring a direct line from one to the other.

As for your pathetic inverted snob comments - do you by any chance live across the road from Hough End and have been bitter all this time about it?

It may surprise you to learn this, but not everyone that uses the leisure centre is a fitness fanatic. All sorts of people use it, pregnant mothers, new parents, schoolchildren, pensioners. It's well located at the moment, within walking distance of a lot of people and handy for buses and trams. The proposed location is none of these. I can just imagine all these people pushing buggies across Hough End Fields in January to go to the Mums and Tots swimming session because Still_Ill reckons they ought to be able to walk it no problem.

Actually, the new location is a lot better for Withington than it is for Chorlton. Only 1km from the current baths.

Think about how leisure centre provision will look under these new arrangements. Stretford - Moss Side - Hough End (basically Withington). And a big gap in the middle where Chorlton is. The location is a disaster and is forced upon us all (and future generations) due to financial constraints.

ladyheather

Postby ladyheather » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 am

Hard anyone objected? It looks like no-one public person has, only 12 'stakeholder' comments. Where do the public's comments go? Are they not shown on the comments tab?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:15 am

ladyheather wrote:Hard anyone objected? It looks like no-one public person has, only 12 'stakeholder' comments. Where do the public's comments go? Are they not shown on the comments tab?

I asked the planning dept about that, and apparently it's a kind of glitch in their system. The "stakeholders" are actually organisations who have been invited to comment, rather than those who have done so. No individuals had commented online at the time I contacted them.

It is possible for members of the public to send a response direct to the planning dept by email and that's what I've done. You can ask for your identity and details not to be made public if you want and I opted for this, mainly because my response was a bit hasty and unpolished rather than being particularly extreme or controversial in content.

StePee

Postby StePee » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 pm

I submitted comments online on Tues 21st; the response said they'd been 'truncated', although the email that subsequently arrived included all I'd written, just with formatting stripped out. Just to make sure, I also sent an email, with the same (but formatted to a more readily legible) comments, but have received no reply or confirmation of that as yet.
I didn't ask to remain anonymous, my views on this are hardly secret anymore!

Today is the last day for submitting comments; objecting/ neutral/ supporting. If you want a say & haven't already, now really is the 11th hour.

Do specify: Application Comments for 104518/VO/2013/S1 to planning@manchester.gov.uk the officer dealing with it is Paula McGovern, as far as I understand.

Phila

Postby Phila » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Emailed my opposition

StePee

Postby StePee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:50 pm

Application is now marked: Pending Decision

http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-appl ... FRYBC06N00

StePee

Postby StePee » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm

Ref. No: 104518/VO/2013/S1 | Status: Application Approved

lister

Postby lister » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:35 pm

Does anyone know what the likely plans would be for the baths?

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Do you mean the old baths? I think the intention is to just sell the land. The building isn't listed as far as I know.

StePee

Postby StePee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:44 pm

It's not listed.
Despite the council telling us it's un-maintainable, staff say the pool's plant is relatively modern, I hold out hope it could be taken off the council's hands under a community purchase scheme, and run as a charity or co-operative or similar.
It's great having a pool in central Chorlton, but it's the sports hall that'd be particularly missed by local clubs and fitness groups.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:54 am

There seems to be a Save Chorlton Baths Group:

https://twitter.com/search?q=chorlton&src=typd

- and of course there's a very high profile counterpart in Withington.

I remember some new plant being installed a few years ago - the water quality and the evenness of the temperature improved dramatically. The baths offer so much to local kids and older people in particular, and probably play a large part in keeping many of businesses thriving over the road too. None of this will apply to the new facilities being built in a place that is not really part of any neighbourhood, but seems to be aimed at passing motorists.

And as StePee points out, the sports hall is very popular. There won't be anything anywhere near as large at the new place, even if the location weren't so poor.

Return to “Discussions”