Cockerel noise near Oswald Road

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
NewChorltonBee

Cockerel noise near Oswald Road

Postby NewChorltonBee » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Just wondering if anyone else has been bothered / heard the noise of the local cockerel near Oswald Road?
I am not entirely sure where it is coming from but from the noise, sounds like maybe Nicolas Road, Oswald Road, Shanklin Close or Newport Road?

Love the fact that people may be keeping chickens and things, but this cockerel has started waking us around 5am.... Not great for us shift workers!!

Has anyone else heard this or had this problem??

Louise

Re: Cockerel noise near Oswald Road

Postby Louise » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Don't worry, if enough people complain they will probably neck him and convert him into dinner.

NewChorltonBee

Postby NewChorltonBee » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Anyone else who has also suffered the delightful morning wake up calls of this cockerel.....please post here!!

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Do they still have ducks and hens and so on at Longford Park? Could he be an escapeee from there, or maybe just a very loud cockadoodledooer?

I saw a very tall and handsome one on a patch of grass in Whalley Range yesterday, traditional russet speckly style (Louise would know the breed). There have been hens and cockerels living in someone's garden there for years - in Sylvan Ave I think - who frequently walk around nearby and give loud exuberant cries. You can often see them from the 86 bus, which is another reason for choosing that over the 85.

Louise

Postby Louise » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Sounds like a Warren Pearl. I only have one cockerel at the moment (Not in Chorlton) He has an admirable crowing style. I have never had any complaints and I put that down to everyone nearby having double glazing.

It's true that some people are more sensitive to extraneous noise than others. It's also true that the only way to stop a rooster crowing is to kill it.

StePee

Postby StePee » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Yes, I think I've heard it too. Quite nice really.

Anyway, here's the one from Longford Park, for comparison:
https://vine.co/v/h6qeUTqYIUW

Polly Perez

Postby Polly Perez » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:11 pm

The cockerel is on Nicolas Road near the low numbers, 13 - 21 on the left (from Oswald). I agree it's quite charming but given that it starts at dawn, as cockerels do, it's going to be less charming as that becomes earlier towards midsummer. What to do?
A) complain to owners
B) complain to city council
C) do nothin and hope it goes away soon
D) set up a petition from all local people affected

All suggestions gratefully received :?

Polly Perez

Postby Polly Perez » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:04 pm

Yes I've heard it too

NewChorltonBee

Postby NewChorltonBee » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:33 pm

Thank you Polly Perez for your reply....we are having the same thoughts exactly. At the moment, given the cold weather, we are able to keep our windows closed (we can still hear it through our double glazing though), but going into the summer months, we tend to have windows open and the cockerel is going to start crowing earlier. It does also crow throughout the day which I don't love listening to all day when we're in the garden / in the house during the day.

I am happy to ask the local council for advice but will they be able to do anything if they don't know the exact residence?

I don't like to whinge about these things and do actually like all the neighbourhood noise, but I'm kind of struggling with the cockerel. :shock: :?

StePee

Postby StePee » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 am

E) Embrace it, and smile, thinking of farmyards every time you're lucky enough to hear it.

NewChorltonBee

Postby NewChorltonBee » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:27 am

I take that option on board. And if I was near farmyards or maybe staying in a holiday cottage, I definitely would expect it and smile when hearing it.

However, when working shifts and hearing a cockerel crowing through the closed double glazed windows at 5:45am, I struggle slightly to smile and get back to sleep. Sorry.

Louise

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:21 pm

There is only one solution and that is to find the owners and ask them to kill it. It's more or less impossible to re-home one. I am the go-to person when the RSPCA have a chicken problem in my area and it is certainly a problem when neighbours complain. A local vet will humanely destroy it. Perhaps you could offer to take it to the vets for them to guarantee a good night's sleep for yourself

If they don't want to kill it you can report them to the council as a noise nuisance and they will probably make them neck it.

NewChorltonBee

Postby NewChorltonBee » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:18 pm

I would be more inclined to ask if the owners could keep the cockerel in its chuck until a slightly more sociable hour? From my knowledge, cocks tend to crow when they are out of their chuck and can extend their necks.
I don't know if this would work either, but I would not be inclined to go for the option of asking then to kill or taking it to a vets to be killed.
We have some friends in the Chorlton area who bought several chicks and one turned out to be a cockerel. They returned him to his original owner that they bought them from due to concerns about him disturbing their neighbours.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Get it killed. swear_words_not_allowed it. Millions of them are killed every year, what's one more.

StePee

Postby StePee » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:39 pm

I'd offer to re-home it, ideally with his egg-laying Mrs. but by the sounds of it, I'm only a few more doors down the street from you anyway. Strangely though, I've never heard it from home, though the sound carries for miles in the countryside; only ever heard when walking back after school-drop.
https://vine.co/v/h6qeUTqYIUW

Return to “Discussions”