Cockerel noise near Oswald Road

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Louise

Re: Cockerel noise near Oswald Road

Postby Louise » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:06 am

NewChorltonBee wrote:I would be more inclined to ask if the owners could keep the cockerel in its chuck until a slightly more sociable hour? From my knowledge, cocks tend to crow when they are out of their chuck and can extend their necks.
I don't know if this would work either, but I would not be inclined to go for the option of asking then to kill or taking it to a vets to be killed.
We have some friends in the Chorlton area who bought several chicks and one turned out to be a cockerel. They returned him to his original owner that they bought them from due to concerns about him disturbing their neighbours.

What is a chuck? Our Roger crows enthusiastically whether he is shut in the hen house or not. The story about the people who returned the rooster to the previous owner amused me. Did the people say it was "Going to live on a farm"? I bet you a quid that that rooster was Sunday dinner for someone. He probably met his end as their car was going down the drive. The brutal truth is that roosters are good eating and they have no other purpose. We keep one because it makes our flock more settled and we have no problems with neighbours. Hens don't really make good city pets despite what the Egglu people say.

If you want hens and want to make sure it's not going to grow up into a rooster you can get battery rescue. They will probably lay for another year or so and you can feel good about yourself

freeguitarlesson

Postby freeguitarlesson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Louise wrote:What is a chuck?

"Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead..."

Louise

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 pm

He has a cock that won't stretch his neck? Who knew?

annie

Postby annie » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:10 pm

No... he IS a cock... a total redneck christian fundamentalist swear_words_not_allowed... burn his movies....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIDxq40TImM
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Return to “Discussions”