Typical monthly electricity bill?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Kristen

Typical monthly electricity bill?

Postby Kristen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:41 pm

I have just received my gas and electricity statement. I am pleased to see they are reducing my monthly direct debit. However I always like to check my actual usage as the statement is based on actual readings and on average over the last six months my electricity has cost me £37.63 a month.

I was just wondering, if people don't mind divulging this information, how much other people pay on average a month for electricity. My house is heated with gas central heating and I have a gas cooker so the electricity I am using is just for lights, television (which I don't leave on standby), laptop, fridge, freezer, kettle, washing machine.

I suppose when I list these electrical appliances it all adds up.

Any electricity saving advice anyone or is £37 per month for a three bed house a typical price to pay these days?

still_ill

Re: Typical monthly electricity bill?

Postby still_ill » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:31 am

If you really are paying less than £10 per week on a three-bedroomed house (i'm a bit dubious, forgive me) then i'd suggest you're already doing better than most people. We pay around £60 per month during the spring and summer, then around £120 per month over the late autumn and winter. This is for electric only, and for a small one-floored property which we only really heat in the late evenings and overnight, then minimal other use - two showers each day, a few brews, a fridge-freezer, an oven each night, a TV in the evenings, a couple of loads of laundry once a week, the odd thing being charged. We've tried all the major suppliers and methods of payment and had a survey carried out by an independent energy-saving company.

Lined curtains really can help. We're well glazed, but even so the windows let out lots of heat. I'd also recommend turning your emertion heater off if you have an electric shower. We don't take baths, so the only other thing we'd need hot water for is washing pots, but we just boil the kettle for that. Saves us around £20 per month. I'd also recommend buying yourself some silicone or caulk and filling any gaps you can spot around the house, between walls and skirting boards, cracks between ceilings and walls, holes around window frames, etc. There are companies out there who receive government grants to line rented tennants roofs as well. I assume you've already done stuff like checking you're on a dual band tarriff, and setting your timers to only kick in during off-peak hours, etc.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:39 am

Are you running a cannabis farm? £120 for elec is a huge amount. We pay £70 a month direct debit for joint gas and electric on a 3/4 bed three storey town house.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Indeed, something not right there, if as much as £120 per month is the cost for electricity alone. Maybe you have no gas costs on top though? Boiling an electric kettle to wash the pots, is about the most expensive way to do it, by the way.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:57 pm

blenkinsop wrote:Boiling an electric kettle to wash the pots, is about the most expensive way to do it, by the way.

Well no, it's a lot cheaper than running an emertion heater, as i said. It's also a lot cheaper than boiling on the hob. You're talking pennies to boil a kettle, even a full one, i know because i recently spent a week off trying to itemise stuff to work out exactly where our money was going. The main issue is that we have old breezeblock style heaters which the landlord won't replace (and electric or even halogen heaters are about as dear if you need one per room, and the heat doesn't remain anywhere near as much). If we had something a bit more modern i estimate we could get the winter bills down to around £2.50 per day, which is generally about right. I'm aware we pay a lot, but perhaps not surprisingly i know of people who pay a LOT more.

...and yes, it's solely an electric property, no gas.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Sorry, but that's incorrect. If you were to run your electric immersion heater once a day (every day) for 30 mins, you would have plenty of hot water for washing pots, cleaning floors, cleaning the room where you cook and wash your pots, the bathroom etc. This would eliminate the need to boil your kettle, apart from for a fresh brew now and then. I guarantee it will be cheaper for you that way, especially if you are on Economy 7, and you ran your immersion heater during off peak times.

Kristen

Postby Kristen » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:56 pm

still_ill thank you for your suggested ways of keeping my bills down however my heating and hot water uses gas and my question was specifically just looking at what a typical electricity bill would be but thanks all the same.

Yes the amount I am paying, for the last six months has worked out at just over a pound a day and when I looked at the breakdown below of how much electricity various appliances cost to use I think just over a pound a day is quite good now that I think about it and I definitely don't scrimp when it comes to electricity but I am very carefully now watching my gas usage (for heating).

Anyway, funnilly enough you would not believe what I stumbled across this Christmas in the January 2014 edition of Which, the typical cost (single use and per year) to run electrical appliances (of course these figures can only be approximations but still interesting to read I thought) was listed:

How much it costs per year to: (the amount in brackets is for a single use)

Make two slices of toast (once a day): £2.19 (0.6p)

Use a breadmaker (three times a week): £7.80 (5p) (Well that's put an end to my bread making :wink: )

Boil the kettle (one litre twice a day): £13 (1.7p)

Wash a load of laundry (four times a week): £24 (11.5p)

Use the dishwasher (fives times a week): £46 (18p)

Run a fridge-freezer: £49 (13.4p)

Dry a load in a tumble dryer (three times a week): £99 (63p)

I know there is the boiling a kettle debate going on on here but I must say 1.7p to boil one litre of water (which is what the 1.7p is based on) I thought was quite cheap but as I don't have economy 7 nor use electricity for heating my water would not know how that compared.

The 63p to dry a load in a tumble dryer, yes expensive and as I don't have a tumble dryer not concerned by that figure. The figure does not surprise me as I think everyone knows tumble dryers use a lot of electricity.

Just wanted to share this as I must say my immediate thoughts were these figures seems quite low but I think the key thing is to try and use gas for heating and cooking if you can as I do think gas is cheaper than electricity.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Kristen wrote:Just wanted to share this as I must say my immediate thoughts were these figures seems quite low but I think the key thing is to try and use gas for heating and cooking if you can as I do think gas is cheaper than electricity.

My immediate thoughts too were that these seemed quite low. But add them up and it's £250 a year, and this is without any heating, bath, shower, tv, lighting, computing, gaming, ironing, etc.

Stevieboy

Postby Stevieboy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:44 pm

Kristen wrote:.... is £37 per month for a three bed house a typical price to pay these days?

It will depend on how many occupants and the amount of time spent there. I work from home and pay £70 per month on gas and electricity combined (not each). £32 of that is Electricity. I am on a fixed tariff from a couple of years ago that runs out in April so it will go up then.
I live in an average sized 3 bed semi and as I work from home, I have the heating on most of the day. The only appliance left on standby is the PVR. Everything else is switched off if it's not in use. Taking things off standby really makes a difference and it looks like it has saved me approx 10% of the annual cost.
Cooking is done on gas except for the grill/oven.
The house is insulated to death with loft insulation, radiator therm valves and reflectors, cavity wall and full double glazing etc

I was at the library yesterday and saw that they loan out electricity monitors. Never knew they had those.

Return to “Discussions”