Beer....

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
MikeMarcus

Beer....

Postby MikeMarcus » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:10 am

Hi all

I'm a craft brewer from London who's just moved up to Manchester. I live just on the border of Chorlton and Old Trafford.

I've been wanting to start a community supported brewery for ages. I'm really inspired and impressed by the focus on both good food and community here and feel it's the perfect place to realise my plan.

Would any of you be interested in getting involved with the project? Plans are pretty fluid at the moment but I would like it to be a co-operative, CIC or other kind of non-profit which supplies produce made by the community, for the community.

Thoughts?

sky blue

Re: Beer....

Postby sky blue » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Sounds interesting, I'm a pretty keen home brewer and I like the idea of taking a step up to a more commercial level. What's your plan exactly?

MikeMarcus

Postby MikeMarcus » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:00 pm

My plan at the moment is to gather a bunch of like minded Chorltoners, sit together in a pub and bash out a plan. :-)

I do however have a 1/2 barrel HERMS system with pressurised, temperature controlled fermenters and potentially a place to set it all up.

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:09 pm

We'd probably be interested, keep us up updated with developments!

C.Cat

Postby C.Cat » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm somebody who's recently started homebrewing, and I'd love to be involved!

MikeMarcus

Postby MikeMarcus » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Let's get together to chat about it. I can do Friday or Sunday. Anyone?

MikeMarcus

Postby MikeMarcus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:47 am

Hmm. Seems as a new user, I can't contact other members.

If anyone is interested in meeting to chat about this, mail me on beer at mikemarcus dt co dt uk

EDIT: The get together is now set for 4pm, Sunday at PI. If you're coming, post here or drop me an email. You don't need to be a brewer to get involved.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:17 pm

I'd be interested in this and will turn up, time permitting.

A word of caution though - I know a craft brewer who got his beers into a couple of Chorlton bars a few years ago. Every time I see him I get a sob story about "People in Chorlton just won't pay for a quality product..."

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Richard_H wrote:
..... Every time I see him I get a sob story about "People in Chorlton just won't pay for a quality product..."

How much was he looking to charge for a pint of his 'quality product'?

I actually think people in Chorlton pay a lot more than most for a pint of their favourite drink.

MikeMarcus

Postby MikeMarcus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:52 pm

Now that's the trick, making a beer good and affordable. It helps that micros pay half the duty of large industrial interests. It allows us to offset their economies of scale (and the fact that they use crap ingredients).

Anyway, The Font and The Beagle both sell beers at more than £20 a bottle so there's obviously a market for a premium product. The Cantillon Grand Cru Bruocsella at The Font spends 4 years in a barrel so it's probably worth it.

Maybe his beer wasn't very good?

Also Sarah: breweries don't set the retail price. The license holder does. But I guess it's influenced by the wholesale price.
Last edited by MikeMarcus on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:01 am

MikeMarcus wrote: The Font and The Beagle both sell beers at more than £20 a bottle so there's obviously a market for a premium product. The Cantillon Grand Cru Bruocsella at The Font spends 4 years in a barrel so it's probably worth it.

£20 for a 500ml(?) bottle of beer? Fvck me :shock: sorry but way above my budget and yep I think way above the majority of people in Chorlton too.

On a separate subject but really the Font sells beer at more than £20 a bottle? Perhaps in the fridges for sale at this price but I doubt they sell many. Beagle, OK perhaps a few more sales but doubt there are many sales at the Font.

MikeMarcus

Postby MikeMarcus » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:17 am

It depends how into beer you are, right? I certainly don't do it often but I have spent over £20 a bottle in both the Font and the Beagle. But I'm really very serious about beer so for me it's worth it. You usually get a champagne-corked 750ml bottle if you're spending that much.

I'm certainly not suggesting that the community brewery aims at that price point though.

On a side note, I really don't like The Font. I think they sell good beer because they think it's cool, not because they care (or know much) about good beer. On the occasion that I bought the twenty something quid bottle of Cantillon Grand Cru Broucsella there, a waiter took the half drunk bottle while our backs were turned and threw it away. When I emailed the next day to complain, I got a load of defensive bollocks in response.

(Chorlton is beer heaven by the way - better beer-wise than any single area of London)

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi we can't make it on Sunday but keep me posted with developments

Phila

Postby Phila » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:11 pm

MikeMarcus wrote: The Cantillon Grand Cru Bruocsella at The Font spends 4 years in a barrel so it's probably worth it..

Three years according to the web. If I were looking for an expensive beer, I'd likely go to Carringtons.

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:09 am

Richard_H wrote:"People in Chorlton just won't pay for a quality product..."

Couldn't disagree with this more. You only have to look at the new bars popping up, in which people gladly pay £4+ a pint. Chorlton's the perfect place to set up a micro-brewery, there have been at least three already. People have a bit more cash, are prepared to spend it, and generally prefer ale or good continental lagers over £2.50 a pint generic fizzy pop. You only have to look at all the shops on Beech Road and more recently Manchester Road to see that there are plenty of people round here with more money than sense.

Return to “Discussions”