Manchester house price rise higher than London

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Manchester house price rise higher than London

Postby Sarah_B » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:01 pm

I was surprised to read this:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/j ... f-comments

i.e. That prices in Mancheser have risen faster than London but we do have a lot of BBC employees here now.

Also surprised the view the Guardian has taken describing us as the 'star performer'. It's now made it a lot more difficult for many people to buy a house.

ladyheather

Re: Manchester house price rise higher than London

Postby ladyheather » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Apparently its the specific Manchester council administered area it refers to. I saw BBC Breakfast today allude to the rise being the result of the Salford move. Surely it could instead be at least partly due to the efforts of MCC over recent years to market and attract business to the city.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:28 am

What? Manchester Council is almost unique in it's restrictions on new business. House prices are certainly nowt to do with the Council, and a lot to do with prices rising from historical lows (compared to the peak in 2007) in the last year.
Media City and the BBC relocation has obviously had some impact, as only the junior end live in the flats on the quays, middle rank and upwards wouldn't dream of living in Salford - so demand makes Manchester prices rise.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:45 pm

blenkinsop wrote:What? Manchester Council is almost unique in it's restrictions on new business.

Substantiation?

What is far more obvious is that the city council has done a fantastic job of leading the regeneration of Manchester over the last 20 years. The Tory option, as is well documented, has been for 'managed decline' of de-industrialising cities. Their argument is that you can't buck the market. Papers released under the 30 year rule show that Heseltine went as far as to propose the evacuation of inner-city Liverpool, but I guess they realised they'd struggle to find somewhere down south prepared to house and find jobs for that city's long term unemployed. Manchester and other northern cities would have been next.

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:40 pm

I'd been drawn back here by an excellent thread on beer, but I see knob-end leftie orthodoxy still prevails here:

stephennewton wrote: The Tory option, as is well documented, has been for 'managed decline' of de-industrialising cities.

Oh really? Documented where? Aside from right-on self-congratulatory orthodoxies in the Guardian that is. You are talking bollox / peddling lies.

stephennewton wrote: Papers released under the 30 year rule show that Heseltine went as far as to propose the evacuation of inner-city Liverpool,

No they don't. They did contain a suggestion that Geoffrey Howe made such a suggestion (he disputed the accuracy of this). Hestletine actively opposed the idea. Thatcher also disagreed and (to quote the Guardian) "Mercifully, she decided instead to dispatch Michael Heseltine – though with a fraction of the budget he had demanded – to oversee inner-city regeneration on Merseyside."

stephennewton wrote: Manchester and other northern cities would have been next.

Since we've already established that you're either (a) a lying shit or (being more charitable, b) prepared to parrot leftie orthodoxies without subjecting them to critical thought, just how much credibility should we put behind that statement?
'Drive-by insult merchant'

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 pm

TossPot wrote:I'd been drawn back here by an excellent thread on beer, but I see knob-end leftie orthodoxy still prevails here:

stephennewton wrote: The Tory option, as is well documented, has been for 'managed decline' of de-industrialising cities.

Something from that well known leftie rag, the Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... riots.html

There are more reliable sources, like the National Archives, but I'll let you find those for yourself. It is true that Howe and others claim they were misquoted by the civil service minute takers, but they would wouldn't they? Not even the Daily Mail takes those denials seriously and they didn't make corrections at the time.

'Managed decline' appears a perfectly sensible option if you genuinely believe in the infallibility of free markets, which is a cornerstone of Thatcherism. Those of us who test such theories with evidence see that markets fail all the time and that they work best when appropriately regulated.

It is very silly of you to get so upset.

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks, but I'd already read that. The article confirms what I said: That Howe was reported to have proposed "managed decline", but the idea was rejected out-of-hand. 'managed decline' was never a Tory policy, and five minutes Googling will confirm that for anyone (and would have done for you). However you chose to wholly misrepresent the position.

I don't know whether you did so as a wilful lie, or just because you chose to believe what you wanted to believe (regardless of the facts). Whichever though, it was an outright falsehood, but you're now trying to side-skirt around that by debating what Geoffrey Howe may or may not have said, and by hypothesising about what Tory policy might have been (but wasn’t) based on you analysis of the application of free market principles.

You lied / misrepresented the position, and now you’re trying to skirt round the issue.

What does that say about your integrity? I’ll leave it to others to decide.

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Sorry, TossPot (your self-depreciation is rather tiresome) but you leave me completely unconvinced. I don't recognise your assertion that I've skirted around any issues. I only squirm at your name calling -- 'lying shit' -- and impotent aggression out of sympathy for you. It must be terrible to be overwhelmed by so much rage over such small things.

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 pm

No rage. No aggression. Just contempt.

Based on the articles you cite yourself, your original claims are a load of toss. However you're not big enough to acknowledge that. You claim you're "unconvinced".

Oh well. You've shown yourself for what you are.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 am

stephennewton wrote:
blenkinsop wrote:What? Manchester Council is almost unique in it's restrictions on new business.

Substantiation?

What is far more obvious is that the city council has done a fantastic job of leading the regeneration of Manchester over the last 20 years. The Tory option, as is well documented, has been for 'managed decline' of de-industrialising cities. Their argument is that you can't buck the market. Papers released under the 30 year rule show that Heseltine went as far as to propose the evacuation of inner-city Liverpool, but I guess they realised they'd struggle to find somewhere down south prepared to house and find jobs for that city's long term unemployed. Manchester and other northern cities would have been next.

TossPot has certainly put you to the sword, Mr Newton. I trust you will mend your ways going forward.

Your blatant propaganda is so obvious, you appear to try to put Goebbels in the shade, though I suspect there is something more of the Soviet in you.

Have a read of Orwell's 'Animal Farm' (only short and an easy read), for some enlightenment.

With reference to Manchester City Council...Have you ever noticed that there are literally no street traders (street food - burger vans to you) or pedlars in Greater Manchester? This is because the council have been trying to criminalise the aforementioned legitimate trading groups for many years, and to date have spent several hundred thousand pounds of our money, in the process. Opportunities for young and old to get into business to supplement pensions, or get off the dole - are not to the liking of our big brother council.

Btw, the founder of Marks and Spencer was a street pedlar.

The good news is that Central Government are slowly getting to grips with this blatant market fixing, led by Manchester Council and a few others in England, and normal service will resume eventually.

See http://www.nowthenmanchester.blogspot.c ... s.html?m=1

With reference to the regeneration of Manchester so magnificently led by the council!? All of the funding for all regeneration projects comes from Central UK Government, from the European Commission, from the European Regional Development Fund and the European Social Fund.

Spending donated by such august bodies is strictly controlled, and the criteria must be adhered to by the recipients of the money. However, the council still managed / manage to piss millions up the wall. We won't read about these cock ups in any council publications.

The stimulus for the regeneration of Manchester was the IRA bombing of 1996, when much of Central Manchester was destroyed. Up till then, Central Manchester was depopulated and dying on it's a*se. The bombing (which did not cause loss of life), did Manchester a great favour.

Your alleged career in PR, means in effect that you think you are an accomplished liar, able to present fiction as fact.

Do yourself a favour, your smug, populist gaffes make you look a bigger t*at than you realise.

Stick to talking about footpaths.
Last edited by blenkinsop on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

annie

Postby annie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:37 am

Ah... Tories in full spate.... delightful...

:lol:
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

TossPot

Postby TossPot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:39 am

blenkinsop wrote: Do yourself a favour, your smug, populist gaffes make you look a bigger t*at than you realise.

Well put. I guess most of us (assuming proper upbringings all round) can recall that horrible shaming feeling when, as a young child who was just learning the difference between right and wrong, you were caught trying to tell a barefaced lie. Mr Newton (whilst evading the issue) has being exposed as doing just that. I wonder if that's how he's feeling right now.

Annie :lol: , not far off the mark, except I'm now a little old for the label.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:38 am

[quote="annie"]Ah... Tories in full spate.... delightful...

Aha! Our resident Millitart surfaces again, Chorlton's very own Rosa Luxemburg. :roll:

Mr Squirrel

Postby Mr Squirrel » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:49 pm

blenkinsop wrote:Have you ever noticed that there are literally no street traders (street food - burger vans to you) or pedlars in Greater Manchester?

Have you ever tried driving past Old Trafford when United are playing at home? The streets around the ground are clogged with dozens of burger vans.
A short attention span is very... Oh look, chocolate!

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:59 pm

That's the borough of Trafford, and is it such a bad thing? No streets are clogged by burger vans, just thousands of Man Utd supporters btw.

Return to “Discussions”