Mountain Bike Meets?

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
ElevenEleven

Mountain Bike Meets?

Postby ElevenEleven » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi Folks,

Does anyone please know if there are any mountain bike ride meet-ups in or near to Chorlton? I'm not looking for anything too extreme, just some XC riding for fun with a pub stop hopefully with a group. Something to Chorlton Runners but for mountain bikers.

Cheers

blenkinsop

Re: Mountain Bike Meets?

Postby blenkinsop » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:02 am

Don't know about that, but I definitely haven't seen any mountains, in or near Chorlton.

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:41 am

blenkinsop wrote:Don't know about that, but I definitely haven't seen any mountains, in or near Chorlton.

Not really very helpful is it? Thanks all the same. There are some fabulous mountain biking tracks within an hour radius of Manchester, such as singletrack dedicated forest trails (that are in place just for bikes so as not to cross any walkers).

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:15 am

If there are any I bet the people at Ken Fosters would know. They used to organise weekend rides themselves, although those were on road bikes.

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 am

Pearl wrote:If there are any I bet the people at Ken Fosters would know. They used to organise weekend rides themselves, although those were on road bikes.

Thanks Pearl, I am just around the corner from them actually so I'm going to go in and see what they say. I had thought that would be a good place to start

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:00 am

There used to be a group called South Manchester Massive that went from the Bowling Green. I went out with them a couple of times a few years ago but a quick Google search hasn't brought anything up. Not that helpful sorry...

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:37 pm

I'm assuming that you'll know of that place at Jackson's Bridge which hires out cheapo mountain bikes? They might be able to provide a pointer?

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks Munchkin and Richard. I did some investigating on the South Manchester group and can't find anything recent either. I have been into Ken Fosters today - they don't know of any groups either! Richard, thanks for the idea of checking the Bike Barn at Jacksons Boat I hadn't thought about those but that is well worth a try.

I may well just end up seeing if I can organise a midweek ride from Chorlton see what happens.

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm

I've found a group on meetup.com called Manchester Mountain Bikers. They organise loads of rides for all abilities so I'm going to check them out

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:54 pm

I ride and race mtb, there isnt really a set group thing who go out for a pootle in Chorlton, there are however a lot of groups who ride in and around Manchester. Do you do facebook?

If so
https://www.facebook.com/groups/23374002530/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ManchesterMTB/

Also there is the midweek madness series which raced around Chorlton water park under Manchester Wheelers

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/mtb/ar ... ess-2013-0

Also if you want to go out on your own and explore would strongly advise signing up for Strava.com, most if not all the routes around chorlton meadows are on there

Also google Clayton Vale, there is a purpose built MTB course there, its next to the velodrome at the other end of the Fallowfield loop

Hope that helps!

ElevenEleven

Postby ElevenEleven » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi Eddy,

Thank you ever so much! That info is very helpful indeed.

Return to “Discussions”