Evening News counts 20 Street Peddlers on Market Street

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
stephennewton

Evening News counts 20 Street Peddlers on Market Street

Postby stephennewton » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:13 pm

I couldn't resist posting a link to this piece in today's Manchester Evening News after Blenkinsop's typically eccentric assertion that Manchester City Council had wrecked the local economy by banning street pedlars. Others pointed out that they had seen many street pedlars at various locations. Coincidently, the Manchester Evening News has been checking this out and counted 'more than 20 traders set up on makeshift stalls on' Market Street. Local businesses and members of the public have been complaining. Many of these traders are acting illegally, but many have permits. So not a ban, but what sounds like much needed regulation.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ls-6497808

still_ill

Re: Evening News counts 20 Street Peddlers on Market Street

Postby still_ill » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:34 pm

The worst people on Market Street are always the anti-war/anti-cuts numpties. I'd gladly see the lot of them thrown under a tram. Not far behind them are the street dancers. If someone has a genuine talent, like the fella who makes sand sculptures of dogs, then fair play to them. Hard not to feel a bit sorry for a grown man who paints himself white and stands motionless in the middle of a busy high street so he can earn a few pounds for smack.

Richard_H

Postby Richard_H » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:54 pm

I've always wondered how much money it's possible to make if someone's really good as a street performer / trader.

Is it sustainable if the performance/goods are of value or is it always just tiding them over?

Burger vans, for instance, can make a mint if you get the right spot. The trouble is that most of them are run by larger organisations - truly private ones are few and far between (or so I'm told, I have no direct experience).

stephennewton

Postby stephennewton » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Sorry to say that I think the worst is the blind guy with the dog who is always trying to play 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother'. Awful and far too loud. But can't say I think much of the sand sculpture guy either, that's something that's not as difficult as it looks.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:50 pm

stephennewton wrote:I couldn't resist posting a link to this piece in today's Manchester Evening News after Blenkinsop's typically eccentric assertion that Manchester City Council had wrecked the local economy by banning street pedlars. Others pointed out that they had seen many street pedlars at various locations. Coincidently, the Manchester Evening News has been checking this out and counted 'more than 20 traders set up on makeshift stalls on' Market Street. Local businesses and members of the public have been complaining. Many of these traders are acting illegally, but many have permits. So not a ban, but what sounds like much needed regulation.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ls-6497808

Tut tut, as usual you are peddling lies, at no time have I said 'Manchester City Council have wrecked the local economy by banning street pedlars'. Repeating a falsehood is an old ruse, historically practised by left wing (and right wing) extremists, repeating lies often enough, so that people believe they are true.

In addition nobody has said 'They had seen MANY street pedlars at various locations'.

The general public do not complain about pedlars, but some high street traders do. The public actually like pedlars, and it's thanks to the public that pedlars exist. Street Trading in areas under Manchester City Council control, has to be with the council's consent. The council's street trading authorisation processes are very expensive, and the terms of the permits are so onerous (if they are granted) that some street traders don't bother, and risk prosecution by the council.

Pedlar's licences are issued by the police, at a minimal cost, which is galling for the council, as they have no control over their provision. The stalls to which you refer on Market St are not manned by pedlars, but by street traders, licensed or otherwise.

MEN's sensationalist guff is one thing, but I certainly don't believe any of the crap that a council employee spouts, to back up the council's agenda.

Upon reflection, I should not have stated 'literally no street traders', perhaps 'hardly any', would have been more appropriate.

But when did anyone last see a street trader or pedlar in Chorlton? The 'Street Food' available in certain pubs in Chorlton, is only there because the street traders concerned are probably unable to get the necessary permits from the council (otherwise they would be out on a busy street). The council has no control over activities taking place on private property, ie off street.

There is not a single 'Burger van' or any van based food trader, in Piccadilly Gardens. They are all in effect market stalls, authorised (and selected, using bizarre criteria) by the Council, with the proviso that no vehicles or trailers are permitted.

Fortunately, the government has been consulting on this topic for the past few years, including a study by Durham University (which has been scathingly critical of the conduct of local councils, such as Manchester) and it is a given that sooner or later, the restraints on trade / market manipulation, practised by Manchester City Council, will be deemed illegal. Manchester City Council (in our name) has already implemented draconian changes to centuries old Pedlar's rights, in an attempt to eliminate Pedlars as a class of trader from the streets of Manchester. However, Pedlars are a resourceful group, and have continued to resist this unfair discrimination.

sputnik

Postby sputnik » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 pm

Most of all I am shocked and/or appalled that no-one has pointed out the misplaced apostrophe in 'journalist' Richard Wheatstone's eighth para:

"To qualify pedlar's must trade on foot, be able to carry their goods with them and will generally keep on the move, only pausing to make sales."

Standards are slipping, evidently.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 pm

But where would I be able to buy my daily flashing pink cow boy hat, fire risk fake fur hat or imitation bird whistle? I mean I literally will not be able to survive the daily grind working in town without each of these items. There is an interesting and thought provoking article here on the subject

http://newsmanc.co.uk/2012/02/08/news-m ... completed/

Return to “Discussions”