Moving advice needed...

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Fungus Mungus

Re: Moving advice needed...

Postby Fungus Mungus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:36 am

A friend of mine recently moved to Marple and it's actually quite down to earth - around Marple Bridge is twee but Marple itself isn't. You might like Romiley too - or even Bredbury.
I'd have thought the best thing to do would be what they do on Location Location Location... look at what you could afford in different areas, view a few houses and discuss whether a smaller house in a more expensive area or a dream home in a compromise area would make you (both!) happier.

???

Postby ??? » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:39 am

When we moved recently we looked at moving out of Chorlton. Mainly to the Disley, Marple area. Problems for us were that the prices were the same - if not more expensive for the same house, the drive in to Manchester is a pain in the arse, the train is expensive and still 40 mins or so I think and whilst they are nice they do not have as many amenities to Chorlton. I have since found out that Disley is a bit rough too at night due to Stockport gangsters residing there - only hearsay so may be complete rubbish.

The Heatons are nice but longer journey into the City Centre. Never heard of Boothstown so cant comment although do have friends in Worsley which is nearby who seem to like it there.

We ultimately stayed in Chorlton and for us was a great decision as we now have a little one who I would not see apart from at weekends if I had to commute from the other areas. The 15 minute commute cannot be underestimated.

However I can see the attraction of escaping the Chorlton bubble.

annie

Postby annie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:06 pm

I live in Chorlton because of it's location, it's atmosphere and most of my friends live here. If you can't find those criteria, move.

If I got a load of money, I'd simply move to somewhere like Wilbraham Road, St Werburghs Road, Chandos Road, Egerton Road North or somewhere like that. I wouldn't leave.

I'd find it intolerable to have to travel miles to see my mates, or get into to town, just to be in a "gentrified suburb"
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Rob

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:18 pm

annie wrote:I live in Chorlton because of it's location, it's atmosphere and most of my friends live here. If you can't find those criteria, move.

If I got a load of money, I'd simply move to somewhere like Wilbraham Road, St Werburghs Road, Chandos Road, Egerton Road North or somewhere like that. I wouldn't leave.

I'd find it intolerable to have to travel miles to see my mates, or get into to town, just to be in a "gentrified suburb"

Pretty much agree with all of that. In fact most people I know who have moved (to Didsbury, Urmston, Altrincham respectively) have regretted it as they've lost their local network. It all depends on what you want from where you live I guess. Weighing up what's important to me, which is location, facilities, friends and neighbours, it's hard to see anywhere else that would be an acceptable compromise.

shirederby

Postby shirederby » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:03 pm

well not posted for a long time but checked in now and again to see what's going on. I feel I am in a unique position to comment as I moved out of Chorlton 8 months ago after living there all my life and I did have a few 2nd thought panic attacks as the sale complete loomed. we came up to Altrincham, I knew the area a bit. we have found it to have great shops to hand, lots of countryside close by, some great restaurants, great bars, transport close by to pretty much anywhere, a great gym walking distance away a brand new local hospital being built and still close to the airport, all of which is important to us, it really does not have a town feel to it and is more akin to the chorlton vibe but did I miss Chorlton, absolutely, I would not expect to have not but I also do not regret coming here. We go back to Chorlton when the mood takes us, 25 mins on the tram and get the tram home at 12ish. The realization is, Chorlton is a great place to live but is not the centre of everything and you can find pretty much everything it offers in one guise or another, elsewhere and if its not, then you just hop the tram back. If your in a postion where you feel its best at this stage of your life to move, then I would say to definitely do it without fear, and Altrincham has proven to be a great alternative for us. hope this helps

annie

Postby annie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:55 pm

shirederby wrote:well not posted for a long time but checked in now and again to see what's going on. I feel I am in a unique position to comment as I moved out of Chorlton 8 months ago after living there all my life and I did have a few 2nd thought panic attacks as the sale complete loomed. we came up to Altrincham, I knew the area a bit. we have found it to have great shops to hand, lots of countryside close by, some great restaurants, great bars, transport close by to pretty much anywhere, a great gym walking distance away a brand new local hospital being built and still close to the airport, all of which is important to us, it really does not have a town feel to it and is more akin to the chorlton vibe but did I miss Chorlton, absolutely, I would not expect to have not but I also do not regret coming here. We go back to Chorlton when the mood takes us, 25 mins on the tram and get the tram home at 12ish. The realization is, Chorlton is a great place to live but is not the centre of everything and you can find pretty much everything it offers in one guise or another, elsewhere and if its not, then you just hop the tram back. If your in a postion where you feel its best at this stage of your life to move, then I would say to definitely do it without fear, and Altrincham has proven to be a great alternative for us. hope this helps

What was your motivation to move, shire? Was it property prices, or just the desire for change?
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

shirederby

Postby shirederby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm

the truth is quite a number of things as follows:- kids grown up and not coming back, sat in a home with rooms we did not go in or use, a health scare,becoming debt free but remaining a property owner,friends who you thought would grow old with passing away and bringing home your own mortality,giving the opportunity to do whatever we wanted within reason and holiday restraints(as still working) with no money worries.a yearning for a bit of an adventure and having a plan for future retirement so as not to end up old and struggling.
we did want to stay in chorlton(as i said lived here all my life) but we were looking at apartments(i use the word flat but OH always corrects me) but could not find anything to meet our requirements i.e it had to have 2 bedrooms one ensuite it had to have a good size living room(its 17ft X 13ft approx) and a complete seperate kytchin (it was spaming the proper word) with all requirements and an area for a small dining table. lots of storage, easy to maintain and a balcony enough for 4 to 5 people comfortable and sw facing for the afternoon/ evening sun. the simple truth we could not find all these requirements in chorlton at any price albeit we were on a budget and believe it or not we did in altrincham. that pretty much sums it up.

annie

Postby annie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Fair enough I suppose.... I've looked at a lot of properties around Chorlton, as it has a very varied housing stock...always hoping I'll be able to afford to buy the one of my dreams, one day! However, I don't have the list of reasons you gave to leave, which is pretty compelling :)

Kristen

Postby Kristen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:44 pm

annie wrote:Fair enough I suppose.... I've looked at a lot of properties around Chorlton, as it has a very varied housing stock...always hoping I'll be able to afford to buy the one of my dreams, one day!

annie

Would it not be better to buy somewhere that fits 90% of your criteria as opposed to continuing to rent indefinitely?

I don't know how old you are and I'm not asking you however I would not wish to become a pensioner (with my only income being my state pension) and then have to pay rent out of my pension.

Most people I think would hope to pay off their mortgage before retirement.

I think there are new Government schemes where you only need to put down a 5% deposit and I'm sure the mortgage repayments would be similar to the rent you are paying.

Kristen

Postby Kristen » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:52 pm

I was thinking of the Home to Buy scheme. I'm sure you 'only' need to put a 5% deposit down.

I can't see the scheme being round after the General Election.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Kristen wrote:I was thinking of the Home to Buy scheme. I'm sure you 'only' need to put a 5% deposit down.

I can't see the scheme being round after the General Election.

There are two options as I understand... A loan and a mortgage guarantee.

alr1970

Postby alr1970 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:18 am

Kristen wrote:I was thinking of the Home to Buy scheme. I'm sure you 'only' need to put a 5% deposit down.

The help to buy schemes only apply to new-build houses from the big building firms, i.e. the Tories natural allies. There are no such houses in Chorlton, and I suspect that in itself is one reasaon why many want to stay locally: they wouldn't want to buy such a shoe-box home.

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 pm

alr1970 wrote:

The help to buy schemes only apply to new-build houses from the big building firms, i.e. the Tories natural allies. There are no such houses in Chorlton, and I suspect that in itself is one reasaon why many want to stay locally: they wouldn't want to buy such a shoe-box home.

No, that's incorrect.

Help to buy has 2 elements, Equity Loan - which applies to new build only, and Mortgage Guarantee which applies to new and pre-owned property.

The latter requires the buyer to stump up a 5% deposit on any property (up to a certain maximum value), the 95% mortgage is then guaranteed by the state.

There is much confusion out there, especially amongst first time buyers.

Return to “Discussions”