"Chorlton has the highest burglary rate in the country"

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
t0ria

"Chorlton has the highest burglary rate in the country"

Postby t0ria » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:08 am

So that's something to be proud of!
Sorry for the Daily Fail link but their obsession with house prices is amusing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ealed.html

Quick straw poll- has anyone else been burgled? My garage was burgled before Christmas and 2 bikes were stolen. GMP's response was absolutely woeful. They didn't even come and visit us and it took nearly a week for anyone to even phone me with a crime number. I made an official complaint and all I got was a phone call from a DS someoneorother and an email, basically saying it was my fault for not securing my (locked, secure) garage.

These statistics come from insurance claims, we didn't even make a claim as it turned out bikes weren't insured even though the rest of the contents of the garage were.

Pearl

Re: "Chorlton has the highest burglary rate in the country"

Postby Pearl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:57 am

GMPChorlton Twitter seem to suggest a bit of a spike in burglaries a few days ago - there have been a couple near me in the Chorlton baths area recently. Quite a few bike thefts too, plus bag / phone snatchings at the tram stations.

Quite worrying reading their tweets, but OTOH, they do seem to catch suspects sometimes too, and I guess it's handy to have a reminder about being careful at tram stations and so on, which I have to say I hadn't really been doing.

Fake £20 notes too btw - young lads asking people to change them in the street. Another thing I'd have been quite vulnerable to if I hadn't read the warning.

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:12 am

From the MEN:

" Superintendent Ian Palmer of Greater Manchester Police [said] “In Chorlton and across the force we take proactive measures to reduce crime including carrying out patrols on foot and on bike and actively targeting those who actually break into houses or who contribute to the misery by dealing in the sale of stolen goods."

Has anyone seen any evidence of this? I certainly haven't.

munchkin

Postby munchkin » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:24 am

My motorbike was pinched from on our property a few years ago but when I said we didn't have cctv they didn't bother to come round. I tried to give them the frame number over the phone (similar to car VIN and vital for tracing if bike is ever found) but they didn't want it! I had to insist but I doubt they ever followed it up.

Someone also chucked a brick through our patio doors 2 years ago and they did come round and do fingerprints but the guy that came didn't actually bother to ask any questions and came out with some rather stupid platitudes. I very much got the impression that it was a PR excercise.

I did once get stopped by a PCSO because I was 'acting suspiciously' near a property ( it was for sale and I was peering down the side of the house trying to see how big the garden was! ). She asked me for my address for the purposes of crime prevention - maybe that's what they mean about pro-active measures.

Pearl

Postby Pearl » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:21 am

t0ria wrote:From the MEN:

" Superintendent Ian Palmer of Greater Manchester Police [said] “In Chorlton and across the force we take proactive measures to reduce crime including carrying out patrols on foot and on bike and actively targeting those who actually break into houses or who contribute to the misery by dealing in the sale of stolen goods."

Has anyone seen any evidence of this? I certainly haven't.

Well, unexpectedly and encouragingly, there have been quite a few bike patrols near me after a recent local (daytime) burglary. This is a quite different response to what's sometimes happened in the past.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:22 pm

In the interest of presenting a balanced view; I used to live on new barns, one warm summer night we were sleeping with the window open and got woke to the sound of a guy robbing a mountain bike from a shed opposite. Anyways we rang the police and thought nothing more of it.

A couple of mins later the scrout came back for seconds and the police turned up, they sent 3 vans, 2 cars and the helicopter, chased the lad around the estate by he got away. Anyways someone got a picture of him from another house and it got circulated around Gmp, the following day they had a name and the day after they arrested him

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 pm

I'm all for seeing more coppers on the beat...but i'd hope they have better things to do than watching out for kids knicking the odd bicycle. The peddling (no pun intended) of Class A's, serious assaults and armed robberies seem pretty common locally. I can live with a couple of yooves half-inching a BMX here and there.

annie

Postby annie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm

That's just weird, still.

I blame a) lazy policing, and b) complacent residents... because Chorlton's such a "cool, switched-on place"

Truth is, it's got two of the ROUGHEST estates on it's border and people think it's all Chandos Road.

I got robbed within 6 months of moving here. Not been done since though, because I take sensible precautions.

I still walk past big houses in total darkness. How much is a bloody timeclock anyway?!
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:51 pm

still_ill wrote:I'm all for seeing more coppers on the beat...but i'd hope they have better things to do than watching out for kids knicking the odd bicycle. The peddling (no pun intended) of Class A's, serious assaults and armed robberies seem pretty common locally. I can live with a couple of yooves half-inching a BMX here and there.

I hope that is meant as some kind of joke- if not it's a massively naive. The vast majority of offences are linked to drugs, armed robberies maybe indirectly so but serious assault and "yooves half-inching a BMX here and there" directly so. What do you think happens to the bike? It gets sold and the money spent on drugs.

I'm speaking as someone who has worked in criminal justice for the past 17 years (9 in the Magistrates court and 8 in the Crown Court).

The same night our garage got burgled there were at least 8 others in the near neighbourhood. This is not kids messing about, it's organised. They had the tools to drill locks and must have had the capacity to take the bikes away en masse.

t0ria

Postby t0ria » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:55 pm

eddy wrote:In the interest of presenting a balanced view; I used to live on new barns, one warm summer night we were sleeping with the window open and got woke to the sound of a guy robbing a mountain bike from a shed opposite. Anyways we rang the police and thought nothing more of it.

A couple of mins later the scrout came back for seconds and the police turned up, they sent 3 vans, 2 cars and the helicopter, chased the lad around the estate by he got away. Anyways someone got a picture of him from another house and it got circulated around Gmp, the following day they had a name and the day after they arrested him

We discovered on Sunday morning that we had been burgled on Saturday night. GMP said they would have come out if we were ringing as the crime took place, but as there were no witnesses and they would not have been able to get forensic material they told me- and I quote- "there's no point in us investigating".

belperfury

Postby belperfury » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:30 am

there's more on the topic here:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... it-6569395

the police stats say burglaries have increased by 11% in the last year, apparently chorlton residents list it as one of their main concern and the Chorlton Civic Society/Homewatch organiser feels that anecdotal evidence suggests it's on the increase. also, of course, the original insurance company's data places chorlton as the number one burglary rate in the UK.

yet somehow the the article is trying to say burglary risk is not that high as Chorlton it's an affluent area with a vibrant nightlife and is community spirited.

i'm waiting for someone to suggest burglary rates can't be that bad due to the popularity of cats and hummus in the region.

simmy

Postby simmy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:11 pm

I saw three young men creeping through my next door neighbours garden - they saw me watching and ran off. I called the police and they came round within about 10 minutes. They looked around, checked out the alley and thanked me for reporting suspicious behaviour as it helps them prioritise resource. I thought they did a great job.

annie

Postby annie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 pm

These kind of statistics must be cross-linked to have any validity.

An insurance claim should be backed up with a police crime number, or else it could just be insurance fraud (which is also on the increase).
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

belperfury

Postby belperfury » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 am

annie wrote:These kind of statistics must be cross-linked to have any validity.

An insurance claim should be backed up with a police crime number, or else it could just be insurance fraud (which is also on the increase).

an interesting idea, and one i didn't see coming. so you're suggesting that we don't live in an area of high burglaries but an area of high insurance fraud? that way, the stats aren't being driven by scallies from chorlton's dodgy estates but a morally bankrupt middle-class elite.

unfortunately for your theory, having a police crime number is essential to making an insurance claim, so that kind of clears that one up.

annie

Postby annie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:09 pm

belperfury wrote:
annie wrote:These kind of statistics must be cross-linked to have any validity.

an interesting idea, and one i didn't see coming. so you're suggesting that we don't live in an area of high burglaries but an area of high insurance fraud? that way, the stats aren't being driven by scallies from chorlton's dodgy estates but a morally bankrupt middle-class elite.

unfortunately for your theory, having a police crime number is essential to making an insurance claim, so that kind of clears that one up.

Thank you for going out of your way to make a point just so you could take the piss.

But yes, I think Chorlton has more than its fair share of morally bankrupt middle-class.

Return to “Discussions”