Smart television question

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Sarah_B

Smart television question

Postby Sarah_B » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:13 pm

I am hearing more and more about smart televisions and wondered what is so great about them?

I belive they are internet enabled so you can watch the BBC iplayer programmes on your television and if you subscribe to Netflix or another online streaming website you could stream films but I presume you must have quite fast broadband to do this?

I'm not looking to swap my existing television at the moment as it works fine but if somebody were to purchase a smart television would they then also need to have fibre optic broadband too?

annie

Re: Smart television question

Postby annie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm deeply suspicious of "Smart TVs"...Manufacturers are notorious for ceasing product support soon after sales, and by the very nature of internet content delivery, the software on the TV will need regular updates, in order to work properly with the online service's delivery system. ie. What happens when the manufacturer decides they want you to buy the latest TV, and drop support for your expensive (outdated) model? This is likely to happen after 5 years.

After that point, if the content provider changes any security keys or delivery format, you're screwed.

Only computers are relatively immune from this, because they can download new software directly, without having to reply on Samsung/Panasonic/Sony/LG etc to package it up and send it to the TV.

So... short-term... great... long-term, not so great.

Oh and by the way, the faster the speed, the better the quality, clearly... especially for HD content. 8Mb minimum I'd have thought.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Fungus Mungus

Postby Fungus Mungus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:59 am

I find that iplayer is the only on line feature worth using on my tv, but it can also play back movies/tv programmes from a memory stick which is very useful, and can record from tv to memory stick.
But there's a cheaper way though - You can get all the same functions by getting a blu ray DVD player even ones costing well under £100 are 'smart' though you might have to pay more if you need one with wifi.

acres lad

Postby acres lad » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:25 pm

I connect my laptop to my tv with an HDMI cable, and it's fantastic! I also use a wireless keyboard & mouse. It's great for youtube and streaming films etc. It's not ideal for reading loads of text, but my partner & I find it's great for booking holidays, viewing hotels, booking flights etc, it's a lot better than both of you huddling around a small screen. Child's play to set up, not complicated at all. I also have the tv connected to my hi-fi.
Recently switched to fibre, and an engineer had to come to install the new gubbins, and he said that he only sees a small percentage of people using their laptop's this way.
I hope this was some help, it's certainly a lot cheaper than a smart tv, an HDMI cable only costs £5 to £10 !

annie

Postby annie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:29 pm

acres lad wrote:I connect my laptop to my tv with an HDMI cable, and it's fantastic! I also use a wireless keyboard & mouse. It's great for youtube and streaming films etc. It's not ideal for reading loads of text, but my partner & I find it's great for booking holidays, viewing hotels, booking flights etc, it's a lot better than both of you huddling around a small screen. Child's play to set up, not complicated at all. I also have the tv connected to my hi-fi.
Recently switched to fibre, and an engineer had to come to install the new gubbins, and he said that he only sees a small percentage of people using their laptop's this way.
I hope this was some help, it's certainly a lot cheaper than a smart tv, an HDMI cable only costs £5 to £10 !

Definitely the best way to go, acres......
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

Sarah_B

Postby Sarah_B » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:46 pm

I have heard of other people doing that.

My laptop is fairly old so whilst I have HDMI sockets on my television I don't on my laptop (not sure if new laptops do anyway) so if I wanted to watch something from laptop on my television would I use a HDMI to USB cable? Or if not which cable would I need to buy?

I presume the sound then clearly comes out of the television and not the laptop?

Are there any settings I would need to select on my laptop or, for example, if I was to watch something from the BBC iPlayer on my laptop would it simply be a case of selecting the HDMI socket on my television and as that HDMI cable is connected to my laptop (which would have iPlayer programme playing on it) then it would just play through my television with nothing more to do?

Phila

Postby Phila » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Pretty much Sarah, though I don't think HDMI carries audio, so you would need an audio lead too, in my experience. I have a mini dvi to HDMI adapter, then an HDMI to the TV.

acres lad

Postby acres lad » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:30 pm

It's still possible to connect your laptop to you tv without HDMI. If your tv has a pc connection socket you can use that with your monitor out socket from your laptop, although you would need a separate lead for the sound from your laptop headphone socket to a hi-fi, slightly more fiddly I know.
New laptops do have HDMI which does also carry the sound.

FurFoxAche

Postby FurFoxAche » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:14 pm

I've just bought a 3d smart tv and I bloody love it. A smart tv focuses all of the internet content you want to watch on your tv, to you tv, meaning there's no need to swear_words_not_allowed around with cables or whatnot. We get about 5/6mbps (quoted that we'd get 17!!!) and it's enough for streaming hd content but not 3d. I have to leave that downloading for a bit.

Return to “Discussions”