Sunday lunch

the place on the chorlton bulletin board for vegetable-spread related chatter and other matters...it's the first, the best and it's currently hack free.
Resident

Sunday lunch

Postby Resident » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:18 am

We have just moved into Chorlton, living at the east end of the town. I'm struggling to find somewhere to go for a Sunday lunch. I know about the Horse and Jockey, but is there somewhere good for a Sunday lunch our end of Chorlton?

still_ill

Re: Sunday lunch

Postby still_ill » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:44 am

I don't think you can beat pie and mash with a pint of ale in Pi, personally.

The Parlour's very good as well, but does get very, very busy.

annie

Postby annie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Chorlton's Sunday lunches can be notoriously expensive.

We've started going to Wetherspoons. Same quality (if not better), half the price.
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

KingNailer

Postby KingNailer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:52 pm

you taking the piss?
wethrspoons is bog average reheated farmfoods tackle
owner is ukipmember
swear_words_not_allowed

annie

Postby annie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:55 am

Yes, seriously....

The last roast I had of the "gourmet" type at The Bar was rock solid roasties, dry beef and burnt yorkshires.

I don't give stuff if they use "reheated" stuff (and by that I assume you mean frozen peas, roasties and YPs).... the beef is freshly cooked, tender and delicious.

I really, really have no time for the expensive shite doled out by some local eateries (who, I'm sure, cut the same corners as Wetherspoons, but hide it better)

Common as muck, me.... and not bothered :)
One must always be wary of the march of the right-wing. I advocate public flogging/confiscation of assets/rehoming of their young

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 am

I find Wetherspoons snobbery pretty tiresome, to be honest. Their food has actually greatly improved over the last couple of years, and they now stock a wide range of perfecly fine real ales. I tend not to use the Sedge Lynn too much as it's quite loud and you can sometimes be waiting for a few minutes to be served, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the beer, which contrary to urban myth isn't stale, or the food, which again contrary to oft-repeated opinion is rarely reheated.

Wetherspoons provides a much-needed service, for people who can't afford to spend £5 a pint on overly hoppy 'craft' beers. Long may it continue. They don't take custom away from other good pubs, but from the supermarkets whose cheap prices are the main reason pubs close so frequently. Quite often a £2 pint in a 'spoons will be of the same quality as a £3.50 pint from elsewhere.

Resident

Postby Resident » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks Still ill. I didn't know the Parlour did food - apart from the sausages outside sometimes. So we tried it out. Arrived 1:15 and were told there would be a 15 min wait. We'd only just got drinks at the bar when we were told our table was ready.
Limited menu meant our meals arrived very quickly, piled high. Everything was good but the cabbage was delicious. It was all so good we stopped for puddings.
The coffee wasn't so great - tasted like UHT milk, but everything else was spot on.
We'll definitely be going back.

ash pole

Postby ash pole » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:34 pm

The Parlour should have been better than good...

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... nday-lunch

oswaldgold

Postby oswaldgold » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 pm

The parlour is massively overrated because it's on beech rd and everything has to be brilliant on beech rd so that it gives another reason for you to mention that you live near beech rd.....

In terms of quality the electrik Sunday roast is far better, particularly the dexter beef.

Phila

Postby Phila » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 am

Resident "Thanks Still ill. I didn't know the Parlour did food - apart from the sausages outside sometimes"
Sorry, for a second there I thought you were referring to the clientele!

Owaldgold "The parlour is massively overrated because it's on beech rd and everything has to be brilliant on beech rd"
San Juan's is good though, as is Etchells, not that I work for either

This quoting malarkey is clearly not for me!

still_ill

Postby still_ill » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:53 am

oswaldgold wrote:The parlour is massively overrated because it's on beech rd and everything has to be brilliant on beech rd so that it gives another reason for you to mention that you live near beech rd.....

In terms of quality the electrik Sunday roast is far better, particularly the dexter beef.

Aside from the fact that Elektrik is owned by people who live on Beech Road, and largely full of Beech Road couples and their kids, it's dark, dingy, smells of urine, the staff are nowhere near as friendly or knowledgeable, the range of alcohol is much narrower, the pumps aren't maintained well, and the music's too loud. Aside from that, yeah, it's great.

Edwinacurry

Postby Edwinacurry » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:03 am

Another vote for Wetherspoons, though with the Chorlton one having the ambience of an aircraft hanger, I prefer to go to Didsbury. Upstairs. For a special occasion the Metropolitan on Burton road is great. Booking essential for Sunday lunch.

StePee

Postby StePee » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 am

Just to clarify for 'Still Ill': the Electrik owners do not live on Beech Road, or even in Chorlton for what it's worth.

Another fact (that does check out): Egon Ronay was Weatherspoons' food consultant.

And if anyone knows how to serve Sunday roasts all afternoon, without using pre-cooked, warmed ingredients; I'm sure plenty professional chefs would be delighted to find out!

blenkinsop

Postby blenkinsop » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:18 am

Another vote for Wetherspoons, large choice from an interesting menu, great coffee, great beer, and always busy (understandably). There are Wetherspoons Pubs all over Greater Manchester, some with an ambience that would put anything in Chorlton to shame, the Sedge Lynn is a faithfully converted Billiard Hall, and it's busy seven days a week. 5 star food hygiene, is also the norm, and they open at 8.00am for the best breakfast menu in Chorlton.

I don't work for them, and I know the staff have to work their socks off, mostly with a smiling, helpful attitude.

I was last in the Parlour at the back end of last year, the carpets were manky, the toilets were grubby, and there was a bit of a wet doggy smell on that particular day. Nothing wrong with the food, but the wonderful review posted by someone earlier, is a touch out of date.

belperfury

Postby belperfury » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:18 pm

it's a bit of a sad day for chorlton, home to so many independent pubs, bars and restaurants, if the best sunday roast is supplied by a national chain.

i appreciate that they get 5 out of 5 for hygiene and they're really cheap for a meal, but so are KFC.

what next i wonder, best coffee supplied at mcdonalds and best bakery at tescos?

Return to “Discussions”